Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Macmini 1GB Ram $66 Works Great.

Macmini 1GB Ram $66 Works Great.
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 04:40 PM

http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog...em.asp?ID=7635

That generic ram for $66 works great in mac minis. Have it running in 5 of them now with no errors. Ram has been tested on a "real" ram tester at work. It's performance is EXACTLY the same as brand name expensive ram. In fact it performed with less errors on some of the ram testers than kingston ram ;-)

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the tip. IIRC, the RAM specs for the mini are identical to the eMac. Could be a good budget buy for those guys as well.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 11:49 AM

Good to know, looks like a good deal. Is there a return policy in case it doesn't work by any chance?

(though it should, and this would be perfect for my mini)

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 12:29 PM

I would like to hear some more testimonials about this ram.... too bad I ordered my Mini with 512 or I would be all over this already.
27" iMac C2D

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 10, 2005, 11:19 AM

Outpost has Kingston 1GB PC3200 Cas3 Single Stick DDR Memory for $115 - $30MIR = $85 + shipping.

Just in case you want a name brand and its still a good price.
27" iMac C2D

ZSS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2005, 03:53 PM

Looks great! are the memory test and/or heat spreader worth the added expense, or are they just a sneaky ad on? Also, how long did it take to get it?
"We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. Yet, it seems that intense desires create not only its own opportunities, but its own talent as well". Bruce Lee

ClassicMac
Apr 22, 2005, 01:55 AM

I purchased the RAM suggested and it did not work in my Mini. My Mini was working fine, I put the RAM in and it only emitted a single beep. No chime like it usually does. I put the old RAM in and everything worked normally. Put the 1GB stick in and it only emitted a single beep.
I would be cautious if you are considering this RAM. The chips on my RAM are the Advance Modules 128x4 chips. Anyone else give this RAM a try in their Mini?

Originally Posted by ashtoash
http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog...em.asp?ID=7635

That generic ram for $66 works great in mac minis. Have it running in 5 of them now with no errors. Ram has been tested on a "real" ram tester at work. It's performance is EXACTLY the same as brand name expensive ram. In fact it performed with less errors on some of the ram testers than kingston ram ;-)

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 02:40 AM

wow, im sorry to hear that classic, but im glad you shared your experience. I was incredibly close to buying that ram 2 days ago when I ordered my mini, but chickened out and went with crucial.
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

ZSS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 10:18 PM

Help out a novice here...

I noticed on OWC that they offer 333mhz and 400mhz for the mini. Is there a noticable difference? I'm getting the 1.42 ghz mini and I'm trying to find the best option for upgrading the RAM.

Thanks.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 12:14 AM

Yes, thanks for the info, Classic. What are other people's experiences? Did you pay for the memory test or heat spreader?

stavrosbezas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 10:06 AM

Any chance someone could shed some light on a topic I posted regarding RAM and the Mac Mini? Forgive me this my first Apple product so my inexperience is high! (i'm a convert finally!)

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...93#post2493293

I am expecting my brand new 1.42ghz Mac Mini on Monday and looking to get prepared for the RAM upgrade. Last thanksgiving I bought a 512 stick at Compusa and wanted to know if it would work well in the Mini. Here are the specs :

Manufacturer: Centon
512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module

Thanks in advance!

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by stavrosbezas
Any chance someone could shed some light on a topic I posted regarding RAM and the Mac Mini? Forgive me this my first Apple product so my inexperience is high! (i'm a convert finally!)

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...93#post2493293
That should work fine.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

stavrosbezas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 03:15 PM

Thanks! I'll be buying that gig the better side of the summer, so am glad that'll work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules