Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone's 5G scratching?

Anyone's 5G scratching?
alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 08:29 AM

My 5G is the first iPod where I've refused to remove the plastic cover because I had such a bad experience with my nano. Is anyone's black 5g scratching yet?

Are there any covers or cases for sale for a 60GB 5G yet?

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 09:05 AM

Mine's been fine.

I have a black 60GB, I've shoved the thing into the stupid little sleeve that came with it.

I'm wondering what caused the scratching on people's iPods. Here's the thing, if you take it and wipe it against your jeans, you're going to scratch it. You'd probably scratch Ming China if you tried to clean finger prints with a pair of Levis.

This isn't directed at any one person, and I'd be curious what other people think, I'm thinking that the bulk of the scratching issues are related to the care and feeding of people's iPods.

Just a theory...

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 10:22 AM

My black 60 gig has some very faint scratches after 4 days of use but I can only see them if I tilt it a certain way in the light. I keep it in the included pouch for now untill I get a better case. The included pouch works well but that thing dirties on the outside like crazy. It turned blue from being in my jeans pocket and it got dirt all over the outside of it from being in a bag.
12.1" Powerbook G4

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 03:18 PM

two ultra tiny scratches...

I haven't even touched the screen with my hands or with anything other than the cheap-o pouch it comes with. I'm guessing a little piece of something touched it in the case or something. They are barely noticable, but i'm not taking any chances since my nano experience. Wiped the screen with my thumb, scratched. An no, i don't care what Apple says, they are not the same as the other ipods. I've had every one since 3g and never scratched them with my thumb! And no, i do not have sharp thumbs!!!

( Last edited by bwatson009; Oct 21, 2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: title didn't show...)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 06:17 PM

well i think apple was referring to the 1st and 2nd gen iPods that had a clear plastic coating like the new ipods now. either way, the nano is toooo susceptible to scratches and it is an issue, i hope these video ipods are different.
( Last edited by iREZ; Oct 22, 2005 at 01:22 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 08:00 PM

I'm going to be using the black belt-clip case that came with my 20GB 3G iPod with the new 60GB model. The two are virtually the same size and the case fits fine. Give me a week and I'll see if it develops any significant scratches.

John G. Stillmank
Oct 22, 2005, 07:47 AM

Most people are stupid and careless and their priorities are out of whack is the simple truth. They worry about scratches on a consumer electronics product while millions of people don't have access to healthy food, clean water, healthcare, decent housing, etc.

Forget about the scratches, use your iPod for what it's intended for, and spend some of that energy wasted whining doing something more productive.
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by John G. Stillmank
Most people are stupid and careless and their priorities are out of whack is the simple truth. They worry about scratches on a consumer electronics product while millions of people don't have access to healthy food, clean water, healthcare, decent housing, etc.

Forget about the scratches, use your iPod for what it's intended for, and spend some of that energy wasted whining doing something more productive.
Excellent post, I agree 100%
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

jmgriff
Oct 22, 2005, 11:04 AM

You could equally argue that since Apple is making a ton of money from the iPod nano, you should reasonably expect the device to cope with normal wear and tear. That should be a basic consumer right (and has no relevance to 3rd world poverty that I can see). The iPod mini seems to have been much more durable then the new nano.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 11:24 AM

"... and spend some of that energy wasted whining doing something more productive."

like showing up at an ipod discussion forum to whine about people whining...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2005, 04:09 PM

"like showing up at an ipod discussion forum to whine about people whining..."

Well, is this flame bait or what? I think what is annoying me about all of this is that people don't take responsibility for themselves and they do stupid **** like suing companies because the precision electronic device they purchased is scratching.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2005, 04:24 PM

I agree that it's stupid to sue Apple for scratches. Maybe the iPod is easily scratched, but just show a little care in handling it, and you shouldn't have any major problems. At least, I haven't had any major problems with my 3 iPods over the last 4 years.

On the other hand, I find the statement condemning people for worrying "about scratches on a consumer electronics product while millions of people don't have access to healthy food, clean water, healthcare, decent housing, etc." to be ridiculous. Of course we should all try and keep things in perspective, and I'm sure that's what you are trying to convey. But when you put it that way, it sounds like anyone who is worried about ANYTHING that isn't of life-and-death importance is being incredibly petty and shallow. It's not an either-or situation. We can be concerned about our consumer electronics and still care about other more important things.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jmgriff
You could equally argue that since Apple is making a ton of money from the iPod nano, you should reasonably expect the device to cope with normal wear and tear. That should be a basic consumer right (and has no relevance to 3rd world poverty that I can see). The iPod mini seems to have been much more durable then the new nano.
Ditto on the no-relevance-to-third-world-poverty remark. Sheesh, people and their soapboxes...
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by JFischel
"like showing up at an ipod discussion forum to whine about people whining..."

Well, is this flame bait or what? I think what is annoying me about all of this is that people don't take responsibility for themselves and they do stupid **** like suing companies because the precision electronic device they purchased is scratching.

-Josh

wait, the post i responded to wasn't flame bait?

I couldn't agree with you more on the lack of personal responsibility issues. We are in serious trouble with all the lawsuits in this country and this stupid nano lawsuit is part of the problem. However, while i can certainly agree that there are much more important things in the world to take action on or complain about, this particular thread is about ipod scratching and began as an innocent question. Hence my flame bait reply. I mean, why troll ipod message boards to rant about the ills of society? Ultimately everyone (including me) could be spending their time doing more positive things than sitting in front of a computer, but here we all are, including the author of the rant... i was trying to point out a bit of irony.

Being an owner of a nano that scratched very easily, and a new owner of the 5g, i felt compelled to weigh in on the subject as i was equally concerned. Not because i don't care about larger problems in the world, but because i don't want to watch videos thru a mangled screen, and neither does anyone else. I take immaculate care of my apple gizmos, and this dang nano scratches like fine china. It was never in a pocket and never touched anything but my hand. Am i sueing over it? No. Do i agree with the lawsuit or even sympathize with it? Absolutely not. And while i was disappointed in how quickly it got scratched, i quickly got over it because it's a music player and at the end of the day I have a roof over my head and can eat.
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 11:09 PM

Yes. Because until we live in a social utopia, consumer standards must be abolished.

This is quixotic nonsense.

aussieboss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 12:16 AM

I've had mine for a week and no scratches so far. I left the cling wrap on the front of it, and I use the little pouch it came in. Although it's kinda cheap, using the pouch seems to protect it from scratches better than the last case I bought. I think if that gets dirty, I'll just start putting it in an old white sock, after I dye it a fasionable day glow color. Hell, I could dye 6 old socks fasionable day glow colors for a tenth of the amount of money that they charge for those iPod socks. Is there something really state of the art about those socks that makes them different? Wow I am rambling this is fun.

volcano
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 03:51 AM

"Are there any covers or cases for sale for a 60GB 5G yet?"

Well, since the 60GB 5G and 20GB 4G iPod are quite similar in size, if you desperately need protection, you could buy a pouch or case that isn't dependent on the placement of the click-wheel and screen. I got lucky - both of my cases (iPouch and a Sumo case) aren't dependent on the placement of the clickwheel or screen, so I can continue to use them both when I purchase my new iPod.

That's a creative idea, aussieboss. When I stop to think about how much money I've wasted buying iPod cases, it makes me want to punch a wall. Why do they charge so much? Because it has an Apple logo on it. But I'm sure if Apple had to, they could claim that it's made out of some amazing space-age, scratch-resistent, water-resistent material that can wipe your iPod clean and take it out to dinner and a movie.

justperry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 01:34 AM

How do you keep yours clean? I've purchases a super soft cloth used for cleaning eyeglasses and it still straches it.

tcugrilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 10:10 AM

I accidentally scratched my 60 gig black Ipod with a 3 inch nail yesterday. Can you believe it left a mark? OMG. I immediately called my lawyer and told him to get on this right away. My property taxes are due in three months and I think this is a great way to get them paid.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tcugrilla
I accidentally scratched my 60 gig black Ipod with a 3 inch nail yesterday. Can you believe it left a mark? OMG. I immediately called my lawyer and told him to get on this right away. My property taxes are due in three months and I think this is a great way to get them paid.
Small problem. When all is said and done, you'll get a voucher good for $50 off your next Apple Store purchase. Not good for paying your property taxes.

(Yes, I know the post was sarcastic).

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Yes. Because until we live in a social utopia, consumer standards must be abolished.

This is quixotic nonsense.
I'm going to sue you for using the word quixotic in sentence.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wanderlust
I'm going to sue you for using the word quixotic in sentence.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules