Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your experiences with Absinthe

Your experiences with Absinthe
TheUnmember
Baninated
Jan 31, 2006, 08:41 PM

So I'm going to order some Absinthe in a few days. I've read a lot about it, and I've found a source that sells german absinthe with a 100% delivery guarantee, so no need to worry about getting things snagged at customs. Shipping is pricey, but I'm going in on it with a few people, so it won't be that bad. Anyway, I'm excited. Hallucinogens have always scared me, but a mild one such as the wormwood in absinthe has always been kinda fun sounding. Apparently most countries in europe limit the thurjon (sp?) to 10mg or less per bottle, but in germany the limit is 35. Sweet. Also be ordering some concentrate to go with it.

Anyway, have you ever had it? THE REAL STUFF? Not the green food colored vodka sold ot stupid americans originating out of canada, but the actual real deal? How was it?

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jan 31, 2006, 08:48 PM

I read a very interesting article about the stuff in Wired, but I don't drink.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2006, 08:56 PM

Firstly, you would have to drink a LOT of absinthe to get much of a halucinogenic effect. I first tried it at The Absinthe House in New Orleans' French Quarter. Wow. Just WOW! It was STRONG and tasted like licorice and was a bit bitter. It got me rather drunk very quickly, but it did not produce any other effects.

Here's a nice Wiki article on absinthe. It clarifies a lot of the mystery about the drink and what's in it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2006, 09:39 PM

Yuck. I hate licorice. I'd probably try it if it wasn't for that taste.

TheUnmember  (op)
Baninated
Jan 31, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Firstly, you would have to drink a LOT of absinthe to get much of a halucinogenic effect. I first tried it at The Absinthe House in New Orleans' French Quarter. Wow. Just WOW! It was STRONG and tasted like licorice and was a bit bitter. It got me rather drunk very quickly, but it did not produce any other effects.

Here's a nice Wiki article on absinthe. It clarifies a lot of the mystery about the drink and what's in it.
If you were drinking it at the absinthe house, (this place: http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com) it's no wonder that you didnt' feel anything. All the absinthe they serve there is fake. It doesn't contain thujor or wormwood, so you wouldn't feel any hallucinogenic effects.

This is what I was referring to by mentioning dumb americans paying money for green vodka. Not calling you dumb... but.. it was fake stuff. I'm asking if anyone has had the real deal.

TheUnmember  (op)
Baninated
Jan 31, 2006, 09:50 PM

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 10:12 PM

Its just strong alcohol, you are not going to hallucinate on modern absinth as the wormwood content is sow low. You will just get very drunk.

Try mixing it with coke and see what happens.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheUnmember
If you were drinking it at the absinthe house, (this place: http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com) it's no wonder that you didnt' feel anything. All the absinthe they serve there is fake. It doesn't contain thujor or wormwood, so you wouldn't feel any hallucinogenic effects.

This is what I was referring to by mentioning dumb americans paying money for green vodka. Not calling you dumb... but.. it was fake stuff. I'm asking if anyone has had the real deal.
Apparently the U.S. still bans the use of wormwood-containing licquors... I don't know if this is a good thing or not; being in the French Quarter then (early 1980s) was pretty halucinogenic by itself!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 10:55 PM

So if it is banned how do they offer a 100% delivery?

Anywho, I'd like to try it but I don't really like being drunk all that much, pot is better for me.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 10:57 PM

My experience involved puking all night. Fun stuff

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
haha, you got the cheap stuff

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 11:33 PM

coincidentally, i just necked the last of a bottle of la fée that the GF got me for chrimbo, on sunday night. lovely stuff! - like a cross between pernod and rocket fuel!

if you prefer the non-aniseed types, go for one of the decent czech ones. i'd recommend "king of spirits" - which you could pick up for about £25-30 when i was in prague a year ago [although it's a lot more expensive to order online]. that's got a real bitter taste to it which takes some getting used to - but i did eventually! it's also got a load of bits of wormwood floating round in it. after i finished the bottle i had a chew on them for a while, but i didnae see any pink elephants

[on the whole, i still prefer the french style tho', as i love the taste of aniseed]

i did buy a couple more bottles of duty free in the airport on the way back from prague, just to use up the last of my czech money and they were both disgusting [one was "hill's" and the other one's name escapes me, but it had a fat renaissance type woman on the label]. obviously crap, aimed at the tourists - both tasted like cheap vodka mixed with horrible sickly minty mouthwash.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 12:15 AM

Someone please link: Adam Sandler-I am so wasted

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 04:18 AM

i've tried two different brands, a french and a czech - i got the first and it tasted reasonably nasty (as described above), had no effect other than getting me drunk, and it was hard work to drink enough to get drunk as it tasted reasonably nasty... so i got another bottle of a different brand which had more wormwood in it, but it was exactly the same, if not worse.

moral of the story - unless you're feeling very keen on rough tasting aniseed and are feeling suggestible enough to imagine the supposed effects, it's probably cheaper and less danger to stick to beer. or meths.

sminch

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001
yup, same
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 09:12 AM

I've always said I've wanted to have one creative artistic experience on 'sinthe, just to see what the results are.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 09:21 AM

I've heard that absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

andi*pandi
Feb 1, 2006, 09:29 AM

you've said some bad things on this forum lately, but that's gotta be... sssst.... ouch... the worst.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
you've said some bad things on this forum lately, but that's gotta be... sssst.... ouch... the worst.
I was debating which response to use and I still am't sure which one is funnier.

SOMEONE was going to. Someone HAD to. I just couldn't wait any longer. I couldn't stand the suspense, so I did it, dammit! And I'm glad I did it. And, I believe you would have done it to!!!
Or...

NOW they're making fun of my thpeech impediment! I jutht can't win around here...

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sminch
i've tried two different brands, a french and a czech - i got the first and it tasted reasonably nasty (as described above), had no effect other than getting me drunk, and it was hard work to drink enough to get drunk as it tasted reasonably nasty... so i got another bottle of a different brand which had more wormwood in it, but it was exactly the same, if not worse.

moral of the story - unless you're feeling very keen on rough tasting aniseed and are feeling suggestible enough to imagine the supposed effects, it's probably cheaper and less danger to stick to beer. or meths.

sminch
Well... again, most european countires have a limit of 10mg of wormwood. Germany's limit is 35. I know for a fact that the french absinthes are extremely weak, hence why I'm not buying french. has anyone had some of the german stuff? My plan is to buy the strongest absinthe I can find, and also purchase 'absinthe concentrate', which is supposed to be poured into vodka to make 'shitty' absinthe. But I've read if you pour that into the real german absinthe... you get figgity ****ed up and see some hot green fairy on green fairy action.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 01:15 PM

I've tried several different absinthes. my friend has become quite a connoisseur. The Jade Liquor stuff is considered the best around, I think I've tried most of theirs at one point or another.

I've also had some absinthe that was made on farms in switzerland. homemade stuff. Think moonshine. REALLY ****ing good, but insanely hard to come across and priced in the range of 200+ dollars a bottle.

i've never "tripped" or anything. no absinthe is capable of this. intentional thujone poisoning (the extra crap some people put into their drink) is certainly capable of this. but you could just eye dropper straight thujone if you wanted to hallucinate. its just a nice tasty relaxing drink. the preparation is really nice.

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 01:54 PM

So you're saying that no absinthe is capable of making you see the green fairy?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tardbus
Well, is it possible that this is sort of psychosomatic, all in your head ?
Like those dummy drugs they give people, but they still work...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 02:34 PM

Not unless you paint me green and invite me over.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 02:34 PM

I dunno man. One of the ingredients is a hallucinogen.

andi*pandi
Feb 1, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2006, 03:08 PM

^^seconded.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 04:54 PM

hahahaha. amazing.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 05:09 PM

I dunno man. One of the ingredients is a hallucinogen.
in most absinthes the amount of thujone is in the parts per million ratio. it would have no effect on the human body. the alcohol content would get you long before the thujone did.

the hallucinogen thing is vastly overrated.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
the hallucinogen thing is vastly overrated.
Indeed, the most I've felt (or my friends) is a slight high (much like when taking a very small dose of mushrooms) or like a hit of opium. Seeing visuals requires quite a bit of any hallucinogen. Of course we were trashed too, so who knows what we actually felt.

Before anyone asks a friend of mine who is in the military picked up a bottle from the Czech Rep. I still have the empty bottle, but I am to lazy to take a pic of it, resize that pic, and host it....its Sebor, or something like that.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 1, 2006, 05:46 PM

Oooooh I even chuckled.

And Rob, if you want to "trip" get some LSD. It's the only thing (well shrooms and mescaline) that will make you "see things"

And even then it depends on the person. Each person sees different things.

I saw lots of "tracers" and complicated patterns moving all over the place. Almost like oriental rugs that are alive. Room breathing, etc.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Oooooh I even chuckled.

And Rob, if you want to "trip" get some LSD. It's the only thing (well shrooms and mescaline) that will make you "see things"

And even then it depends on the person. Each person sees different things.

I saw lots of "tracers" and complicated patterns moving all over the place. Almost like oriental rugs that are alive. Room breathing, etc.
And you're one of the few who never came down.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones

Gotta get my popcorn...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by alphamatrix
I read a very interesting article about the stuff in Wired, but I don't drink.
this is a link to that article. pretty good and informative. T Breaux was on attack of the show on G4 the other night.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/absinthe.html

Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 07:57 PM

Ooooh, that looks pretty good. Maybe we'll give it a try!

The other stuff I had was cheap crappy stuff we bought for 20$ at a liquor store. It tasted like mouthwash.

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 10:33 PM

I'll let you know how my order goes.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones

I really need to make a new one of these.

After all, I owe it to my fans.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 09:14 AM

I'll let you know how my order goes.
what'd you order?

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 09:21 AM

Tardbus = TheUnMemeber = SUVSARERETARDED = CASH = BAD QUOTE = You get the point
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin

I really need to make a new one of these.

After all, I owe it to my fans.
I'll hoist one of those.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 09:44 AM

All I can say is no. I mean yes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 09:45 AM

Can't wait for Rob to come here and post around when his drunk-ass is on absinthe

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 11:24 AM

RobOnAbsinthe68****yeah

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 11:36 AM

Properly distilled absinthe will not dispense hallucinogenic effects. Absinthe got a bad rap not because of its dangerousness, but for propagandistic reasons against the artistic crowd that it was associated with.

The absinthe of today is nevertheless made without the quantity of wormwood it once had--not that it matters, much of the "absinthe experience" is placebo. The drunkenness may just be another variety; beer drunk, wine drunk, and liquor drunk are all distinguishable.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 12:36 PM

In fact, high alcohol content and a suggestive reputation are now considered to be its most active ingredients.
From the Wiki article. Rob will probably see things anyway because he's already bought into the idea this will make him hallucinogenic. So yeah, placebo effect in full swing here.

DoGoodDrugs
Feb 2, 2006, 01:20 PM

well given my name is DoGoodDrugs, i had to try this absinthe stuff.. my conclusions, not a good drug... i wouldnt call it tripping, i would call it drinking really bad tasting liquor. if your looking for a drug that will make you hallucinate, is legal, and wont screw you up for life i would recommend salvia divinorum. its pretty good, makes you feel crazy, not quite tripping, but definetly an original feeling.

remember to do research before trying new drugs, no drug is a safe drug.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 01:45 PM

I'll second salvia, though what you would really want is salvia extract.

Just smoking the leaves requires some hefty lungs to suck a rather large bowl down. But a little bowl with a small amount of leaves and some extract....MMmm what a fun time.

I also recommend good music at high volumes and the lights off.

ambush
Banned
Feb 2, 2006, 01:53 PM

If you're into trying absinthe, buy some wormwood (legal) on the net, then make an absinthe recipe [you can find several on the net, esp. erowid].

You can smoke it too. Very very enjoyable, apparently.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 01:57 PM

pot is better for me.
Yeah it's much better than wormwood.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 02:52 PM

There are wildflowers you can pick off the side of the road and get absolutely sh*tcanned over -- FOR FREE -- but americans are so gullible.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules