Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > quicksilver end-of-tether start-up problem

quicksilver end-of-tether start-up problem
hanr3b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2008, 12:40 PM

Hi

I've been trying to fix a friend's Quicksilver for some time now and I'm running out of ideas. Replaced so far: PRAM battery, motherboard, powersupply, hard drive, optical drive, power-on board, RAM, graphics card. The symptom persists: with only a single RAM stick in the motherboard the computer powers up but (obviously) nothing else. With a hard drive, or graphics card, in the motherboard (either of them) then the computer starts up and then gives a beep (and flash) followed by two brief flashes (the last briefest of all). This is exactly the same symptom the system exhibited right at the start and makes me look like a real chump for not getting further. It seems that, applying Holmsian logic, the processor card is the problem. Can I test this by putting the (stock) card from my Cube in the Quicksilver -- or will I have to buy a daughtercard?

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Mark

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 11:30 PM

IDK the answer to your specific question, but my venture would be that it's just dead. If you've replaced all of those things I can't really see what else would be wrong.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 07:43 PM

What graphics card are you using? Are you sure the graphics card you are using is compatible with the Quicksilver?

Forum Links
Forum Rules