Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > YouTube and 160gb Apple TV

YouTube and 160gb Apple TV
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 06:26 PM

Apple released a press release today which talks about their upcoming YouTube plugin for AppleTV; which was discussed today by Steve Jobs at the All Things D presentation.

In the press release it also talks about a 160gb option for the AppleTV.
Apple today also announced that it is offering a new Apple TV build-to-order option with a 160GB hard drive.

Pricing & Availability
Apple TV, which includes the Apple Remote, is available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $299 (US). Apple TV with a 160GB hard drive will be available tomorrow for a suggested retail price of $399 (US). The YouTube feature for Apple TV will be available as a free software update in mid-June.

Thunderbird
Senior User
May 30, 2007, 07:35 PM

You Tube video on an HD tv? Sounds like a great idea, except that You Tube video quality sucks on a 19' monitor. How bad will it look on a 50' Plasma?

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2007, 08:08 PM

they're uploading content in h264

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 30, 2007, 08:35 PM

hmmm. They're gonna be doing a lot more with this, methinks!

Dow Jones Single Title Player (No Content)

^^ llink to a clip of the interview.
( Last edited by brokenjago; May 30, 2007 at 08:53 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2007, 09:31 AM

What I think is interesting is that the AwkwardTV folks independently arrived at the same idea.

AwkwardTV Plugin Directory

the AwkwardTV community had this on May 20 2007. See here: YouTube - A Series of Tubes

It will be interesting to see what other hacker attempts will be duplicated by Apple.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
What I think is interesting is that the AwkwardTV folks independently arrived at the same idea.

AwkwardTV Plugin Directory

the AwkwardTV community had this on May 20 2007. See here: YouTube - A Series of Tubes

It will be interesting to see what other hacker attempts will be duplicated by Apple.
But do you think Apple put the whole thing together in 10 days? The deal with youtube, writing software for appleTV, and updating the website? All of that takes time.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2007, 01:52 PM

Here's my speculation:

Apple already has good contacts at Google. (see contracts and relationship to do GoogleMaps on iPhone.)

Google owns YouTube.

Apple rings up Google and says "we'd like to put YouTube on the AppleTV, show us some APIs just like you did for our GoogleMaps on iPhone."

Google thinks about it for a day and agrees.

Apple writes the website update and the software in parallel. The website update is written in two days (editorial review being what it is.) The software is written over the next four days and tested.

Heck, is this update released or just announced? If it's just announced, the software could still be in test.

What the hackers have shown is that it's very easy to get a new app into AppleTV. We can presume that the Apple developers know this better than anyone, and if they have YouTube's APIs, that writing a new AppleTV module is pretty rapidly accomplished.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 03:08 PM

Heck, is this update released or just announced? If it's just announced, the software could still be in test.
The YouTube update is only announced. No release yet.

post_break
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2007, 03:12 PM

Here's my speculation:

Apple rings up Google and says "we'd like to put YouTube on the AppleTV, show us some APIs just like you did for our GoogleMaps on iPhone."
That made me chuckle a bit heh. I wonder if the quality for regular youtube videos will increase as well.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2007, 02:40 AM

One big difference with the Apple YouTube plugin and The Series of Tubes (3rd party YouTube plugin) is that The Series of Tubes only seems to let you watch new YouTube additions, popular videos, etc. The Apple one will let you watch anything on YouTube.

They say YouTube is converting all the videos to h.264 for better streaming, or something. I wonder if this is only for the Apple TV or if the website is going to start streaming in h.264 from now on? If so I hope there is a quality improvement.

rishio
Jun 5, 2007, 08:25 PM

I think YouTube on AppleTV is simply a byproduct of the unannounced YouTube on iPhone.. Think about it...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by post_break View Post
That made me chuckle a bit heh. I wonder if the quality for regular youtube videos will increase as well.
The ones that are created from webcams won't. People with normal webcams aren't going to be able to take high-enough resolution video that looks good on an HDTV. Same goes for DV camcorders, for that matter. A non-HD mini-DV recording isn't going to look that spectacular on a 50" plasma or LCD TV. Not to mention that HD-quality downloads would take a hell of a lot longer to stream via YouTube... so unless they're going to offer high quality streams for AppleTV user and regular bandwidth-friendly streams for the rest of us, I don't see it happening anytime soon...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules