Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > if money weren't a problem, would you macbook users rather buy a macbook pro?

if money weren't a problem, would you macbook users rather buy a macbook pro?
GeorgeC97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 05:25 PM

To all of you macbook users out there -

if money weren't a problem, would you macbook users rather buy a macbook pro than a macbook?

i'm just deciding that with the .edu discount, the macbook pro isn't that much more than a black macbook with extra ram. and the pro has the new santa rose, LED etc.... but i'd like to get the opinions of you folk who would rather use a macbook than a pro

george

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 05:43 PM

i still would go for the macbook, i am not a power user. All i want to do is be able to manage my photo's and email. the macbook does that great. also, the case seems stronger, and it's smaller (i need it while traveling)
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 06:24 PM

I'd like the extra power at times ( I do high end photo editing), but honestly, I love the 13 inch size.
If Apple would make a 13" MBP, then I'd REALLY want to upgrade.
That said, I use a c2d blackbook, and am quite happy.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 07:08 PM

If you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, you'd go for the 15", especially in light of the new features--but that's mostly because you're comparing the price of the black MB to the new MBP.

If you were talking about the white MB vs the MBP, I'd tell you to go with the MB, because of the accessories, RAM and external display that you could buy with the price difference.

You weren't planning on buying the extra RAM from Apple, were you? Because that's a distinct waste of money: Buy the RAM from 3rd party sources!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 09:04 PM

I might go the MacBook Pro for the better graphics card particularly, but I actually prefer the MacBook's design, look and durability compared to the MBP. On the other hand, if money weren't an issue I might just do a Mac Pro & MacBook combo.

But when you factor in the significant price difference between the two portables and the fact that money is indeed an issue the MacBook is the obvious choice for me.

post_break
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 09:29 PM

I love the size of my macbook. Anything larger than this just doesnt seem like a laptop to me anymore, its more of a pain to carry and use. I want a macbook pro for games but my plain old macbook has been very good to me.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 09:34 PM

I wouldn't; the MacBook's size is perfect for me, and the only reason I would want a MacBook Pro is because of StarCraft II (since I doubt it'll run on GMA), and that probably won't come out for another two years.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

dmgboots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 11:31 PM

I don't really have any need for a MBP. I switched to a Blackbook 3rd Gen (with 2 GB RAM upgrade) 2 weeks ago, from a 17 inch Dell Inspiron 9100. Now I realize the thing was a giant of a beast. At like 9 lbs. I really don't miss the bulk. I'm quite satisfied with my MB. And when I bought it, I didn't really consider the MBP a contender.

Forum Links
Forum Rules