Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" woes for a new college student...

15" woes for a new college student... (Page 2)
GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jul 20, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by moofman:
Well, not really. My Pismo died in March of precessor failure (along with the CD drive). Now I'm running on an old clamshell iBook that we have and it's about to drive me crazy. And dad won't let me take this to college since he does some home finance stuff on this one.
Bummer sorry to hear about that.

kooBi
Jul 21, 2003, 12:30 AM

I bought an iBook SE (366 MHz) in 2000 when I started Uni, and it's gone the distance really well. I'm now looking at getting the revised 15" (when it comes out) based primarily on the screen size - the small screen of the iBooks & the 12" PBG4 is depressing when working with images (I use ImageJ a lot).

I figure a new PBG4 now would keep me happy for ~3 years, the revised one 4 years.

Good luck in making your decision

knitting circle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2003, 02:27 AM

Am I missing something.

I'm a college student. I want a PB. That would be nice, I have to go to my girlfirends to write papers, or use the schools computers. I take notes with a pencil in class, and to tell you the truth, if I had a PB, I wouldn't waste my time taking notes at a lecture with it! I find it just as annoying as people talking on their cell phones in class.

What I don't get is I work my tail off for a 4.00 GPA, work my tail off all summer to pay for rent during the school year (sorry mommy don't roll out the dollars) and got REALLY excited when I heard about the student discounts. BUT GUESS WHAT, after applying for the loan, I get offered a 27% interest rate?????????? Thats insane. My credit flawless, and highly rated. So how is a student going to afford a Apple. Why would I when I can go get a used one, or cheap PC, for christ sakes I'm a college student living on the dole for half the year.

I'm ranting, I really wanted a Apple, but they priced me out. Any college student that can afford a Apple, is a college student that has parents that can afford an Apple.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 04:51 AM

27%?!?!

The educational loan is 6 month's interest free. And then the interest rate will be according to your credit history.

It is from MBNA, I think that after the 6 months my interest rate is kind of high too.

geekwagon
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 04:58 AM

You can't really blame Apple too much for the interest rates. They are just marketing for a third party lender. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't get a loan elsewhere (like from a credit union, etc) that will offer much better interest.

I am guessing that one of the reasons that MBNA is such a pain about these loans is that they probably consider them an "unsecured loan" since they would have a hard time repossessing anything that they are loaning you money to buy. Unlike when they loan for something like a car, or a house where they have a high degree of certainty of being able to recoup most of the principle of the loan if you were to default.

That said, I have heard a lot from various places that MBNA's interest rates are crazy.

macxtal
Jul 21, 2003, 08:00 AM

Why not get a 12" and an external monitor? Portability and display size.
Just don't plan on using an apple display.. leaving DVI off was pretty boneheaded IMHO.

Get a 15" if you can't wait. You have DVI and expansion options. Otherwise, I would highly recommend waiting for a revision B 12". There are heat dissapation leading to warping issues and the external display problem, both of which I hope will be updated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules