Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't boot into single-user mode - any tips?

Can't boot into single-user mode - any tips?
kooBi
Sep 24, 2003, 12:08 AM

I'm experiencing difficulty in backing up my Local NetInfo database. I've tried doing it through NetInfo Manager, but get an error message even when root is enabled. (wonderful)

So I thought I'd try it in single-user mode.

Restarting holding down Cmd-S gave me a 'ssh2.05#' (or something to that effect) prompt rather than the 'localhost#' I was expecting. Also, there was no 'Singleuser boot - fsck not done' notification to tell me that I *was* in single-user mode.

So, do you reckon I was in s.u.m.?

Sorry if this is pathetically ignorant, I'm a CLI n00b.

Cheers

BTW: I'm running 10.2.8 if it helps.

kooBi  (op)
Sep 24, 2003, 12:31 AM

Aha, tried it again and the sh2.05a# turned out to be single-user mode after all. What, no localhost prompt? No friendly notice saying that if you want to make modifications to files, run

/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -uw /

Hmm, trying to make it difficult are they? Also a notice on rebooting (sync;sync;sync;reboot) or shutting down (shutdown -r now) would be nice for n00bs like myself lost in the dark, wondering what the hell to do. Fortunately I had a (Ahem! THE book on this stuff, otherwise I'd be sh**ting myself.

BTW: managed to cp -R local.nidb no probs

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by kooBi:

Hmm, trying to make it difficult are they? Also a notice on rebooting (sync;sync;sync;reboot) or shutting down (shutdown -r now) would be nice for n00bs like myself lost in the dark, wondering what the hell to do. Fortunately I had a (Ahem! THE book on this stuff, otherwise I'd be sh**ting myself.

BTW: managed to cp -R local.nidb no probs
People should not be playing with Single-Users mode if they don't have a clue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules