Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PC Lovin' iTunes reviewers don't seem to get it

PC Lovin' iTunes reviewers don't seem to get it
ddukes
Oct 14, 2003, 01:07 PM

Reviews are subjective but the USATODAY review of the latest music services was incomplete.

link

First of all he rates the Rhapsody music subscription service higher than iTunes which is much more limited than the iTMS. Here's an example:

Rapsody, www.listen.com

Cons: Not being able to download songs to the hard drive or MP3 player is a negative. You can get around this by burning the song to a CD, but those are extra steps competitors don't put you through. Tracks won't play on iPod.
Then he lists the cons for the iTMS:

iTunes Music Store, www.apple.com

Cons: Only available to Macintosh users with the latest operating system, but on Thursday Apple will unveil its version for Windows users. Yes, it's easy to use, but in the end, it's just a store, not a music destination like Napster, Rhapsody and MusicMatch, where discovering music is a richer experience with the monthly subscription.
How is this a con? If being only available on the Mac [right now] is a con then certainly all the other services reviewed should reflect otherwise about Macintosh compatibility. After all Apple is driving this whole scene of legitimate digital music downloads. Also those other services have not even hinted at Mac compatibility in the future while Apple has announced cross platform functionality with its own music playing device to boot!

Then he says, "but in the end, it's just a store, not a music destination like...". Well, DUH! It is called the iTunes Music Store.

And on other Pros that he missed about the iTMS... what about the 30 second previews that I don't know if others even have! The DRM model that Apple uses. Album art. And last but not least, it's amazing success on a platform that has such a small percentage of the market!

And they get paid for this stuff. I think I need a new job.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 01:18 PM

Old, covered, and in the wrong forum. Great job

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 01:20 PM

I agree with you that itunes is the best as far as mp3 player and legitimate downloader.

One reason that all the other music services dont talk about mac compatability is because of how well itunes has dones.
They probably dont believe (and I dont either) that they could be a serious contender in the mac market, cause of how well itunes has done, thus they dont even try and hit the pc market where no one has established a good grasp yet
Force

ddukes  (op)
Oct 14, 2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Old, covered, and in the wrong forum. Great job
Thanks!

Although since it was a new article on the front page I didn't think that particular article was covered.

btw-The topic is consistent to the forum description. This is not the wrong forum.
( Last edited by ddukes; Oct 14, 2003 at 02:41 PM. )

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by ddukes:
btw-The topic is consistent to the forum description. This is not the wrong forum.
Including the last five words of that description?

Topics about applications (including Apple's applications such as iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut, AppleWorks, etc.) belong in the Software forum.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by ddukes:
Sorry, wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules