Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > EndNote 6 and MS Office 2004

EndNote 6 and MS Office 2004
kooBi
May 31, 2004, 11:46 PM

Has anyone tried installing EndNote 6 on MS Office 2004? I'm not going to upgrade to 2004 unless it works with EN6 and I'd appreciate hearing whether anyone's done it

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 12:24 AM

I think this was one of the things that they mentioned in some of the release press stuff.... It said that they had killed EndNote support through their shift to the new graphics engine that allowed Unicode support.

And now MS is leaving it in the hands of the EndNote people to update their stuff, so I guess we'll see how that works out eventually....

kooBi  (op)
Jun 1, 2004, 01:17 AM

That's interesting - I'm guessing we won't see an update from EndNote for quite a while yet. I guess I'll be on Office X until then!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 02:14 PM

I'm pretty sure ResearchSoft, maker of EndNote, has gone on record to say that EndNote 6 will not be updated for Word 2004. No specifics yet given for EndNote 7 other than to say it doesn't work.

This is the current statement on their website: "We plan to release a version of EndNote that is compatible with Office 2004 for Mac OSX."

Not sure if that means waiting until EndNote 8 or what.

In the meantime, there are a couple of work-arounds.
1) Put citations in manually, save as an RTF file and scan the document from EndNote.
2) Keep Word v.X installed. As long as you don't try to run both Word 2004 and Word v.X at the same time, Word v.X plus the EndNote plug-ins will continue to work.
3) Switch to BookEnds (http://www.sonnysoftware.com/). Not an option for me - too much invested into EndNote in terms of old documents, libraries, formatting styles and not to mention all the reference libraries used by my associates.

However, I encourage people to send a customer service letter to Microsoft voicing your displeasure that they altered the plug-in module format enough to break the EndNote modules. ResearchSoft is at the mercy of Microsoft when it comes to EndNote's ability to work from within Word.

Ekot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 03:52 AM

They just announced Endnote 8, to be released this FALL!!

No Word yet on Endnote 7 being updated, but the pfd flyer for version 8 mentions compability with Office 2004, so I guess that means Endnote users will have to pay for another upgrade if they want Word 2004 to work with their references..

If previous experience is to count, Endnote 8 for Mac is going to be slow and buggy AND expensive.. That really sucks!

Being really disappointed with the advice to choose Endnote for my academic thesis work I am going to spend my money on a more sane upgrade, to Bookends.

Forum Links
Forum Rules