Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trackpad wear after 3 days!

Trackpad wear after 3 days!
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 11:50 PM

So I've had my black MB for about 3 days. Used it about 4 hours a night. Looking at the trackpad in the right light, there's already sings of wear - that "shiny" look that you see on older iBooks and PowerBooks after the texture on the trackpad wears out. I cleaned the trackpad well with a few cleaners, and it's definitely not oil or grease.

Right now it's not bugging me, but this isn't a good sign of the condition it will be a month from now.

Anyone else see this yet on their black MacBook?
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 11:56 PM

Hi,

This was a huge issue for me when I was looking at the macbooks at the apple store. I understood that many people were probably playing around with them, bit it was just a couple days old when I saw them, and still it really takes away from the looks when everything is matte black and then the trackpad has a big uneven shiny circle in it. Maybe if the entire trackpad becomes shiny then it will look decent, but for the many people who bought especially the black macbook, it really hurts the nice appearance of it.

Hopefully there can be a solution to it like maybe some kind of covering for the trackpad. But its definitely a reason why I put off getting it for now (besides it being rev a, etc)
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by JustinD
I cleaned the trackpad well with a few cleaners, and it's definitely not oil or grease.

It is oil and grease, I'm so sick of people complaining over stupid little things with their MacBook. Please stop sweating and perhaps your trackpad will look nicer.

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:19 AM

Clean it with Mr. Clean Magic Earaser...it'll take it right off...trust me.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by PJJames
Clean it with Mr. Clean Magic Earaser...it'll take it right off...trust me.
Please don't do that, even if sarcastic not everyone is smart enough to know that's going hurt their laptop or that you're kidding.

JustinD  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 12:24 AM

Ben - you're so upset, then stop reading this forum.

Anyway, it's wear, not grease, sweat, stains, water, oil, etc. I have a right to complain as it's just like a new car's paint flaking after a week. It ruins the resale value and the look.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:24 AM

I noticed mine like a day after I got it. Didn't think it was a big deal though. If you clean it, it'll probably come right back. My wear is covering most of the trackpad now and except for a few edges looks normal. I could run my finger over the edges and it will look totally uniform. No biggie.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
It is oil and grease, I'm so sick of people complaining over stupid little things with their MacBook. Please stop sweating and perhaps your trackpad will look nicer.
Or maybe not. He says that it's similiar to the wear on a Powerbook, which I own. Realistically the wear shouldn't start showing up so soon. However with the finish being black it will no doubt show wear sooner. After seeing a couple of extreme close-ups of the Blackbook, there is indeed a painted on finish. I bet if you you wore it down with a file you would find the same greyish plastic on the inside of the Whitebook. Not that anyone would go to such extremes after paying a $150 premium...

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Or maybe not. He says that it's similiar to the wear on a Powerbook, which I own. Realistically the wear shouldn't start showing up so soon. However with the finish being black it will no doubt show wear sooner. After seeing a couple of extreme close-ups of the Blackbook, there is indeed a painted on finish. I bet if you you wore it down with a file you would find the same greyish plastic on the inside of the Whitebook. Not that anyone would go to such extremes after paying a $150 premium...
No, you'd fine white scratch marks from scrapping the solid black plastic, it's not painted.

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:53 AM

Yo, ben.....what's wrong with Mr. Clean Magic Earaser??? I use it on everything...I've used it on my blackbook trackpad and it takes the grease wear right off.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 12:56 AM

How does the Mr Clean really mess up a laptop?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
How does the Mr Clean really mess up a laptop?
Exactly...I use it on everything...used it to clean my Powerbook all the time and make it look like new. I dont see the issue.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:00 AM

No, you'd fine white scratch marks from scrapping the solid black plastic, it's not painted.
[removed oversize inline image --tooki] [tooki removed image that is taken from another Macnn thread. The image clearly shows that there is indeed a painted on black finish on the Macbook. Something those who desire or own the Blackbook don't wish to admit --Mathew_M]

That's paint.
( Last edited by mathew_m; May 26, 2006 at 11:35 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 02:25 AM

That's paint. A solid black plastic would be very difficult to achieve.
BS. That picture only goes to show the white letters are printed onto a black surface.

Listen to Ben, he's right. The MBs are molded black plastic. If you take s crew driver and scratch the case you won't see any gray because the plastic is black. Black plastic is so normal I can't see where you get this stupid idea every plastic has to be gray on the inside. Gosh people, get real.
ā€¢

hldan
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 03:25 AM

[Don't quote oversize inline images. --tooki]

Which is probably why Apple charges a $150.00 premium for the black model because it's more than just a painted on surface. I'm sure Apple has learned a huge lesson about painting computers based on them having to honor the Apple Care for chipped paint on the TiBooks.
( Last edited by tooki; May 26, 2006 at 10:58 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 07:25 AM

Of course your other laptops have the same effect, it's your body oil rubbing off your fingers onto the track pad in the places you use it the most. It's the same reason my CLEAR PLASTIC spacebar on my iBook looks a little bit shiny because I hit it the same place with my thumb every time.

It happens to all trackpads and keys on all laptops, regardless of maker because everyone has oil on their skin. Apparently some people are just greasier than others. And calling me wrong, yet telling him that a Mr. Clean eraser (which I'd never use on my trackpad) will solve the problem...

What exactly do you think that Mr. Clean eraser is doing? Re"paint"ing the finish? It would quite obviously be removing your sweat and grease.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 10:59 AM

[removed oversize inline image --tooki]

Come again? Have a look at a Pismo one day, why don't you? They are solid black, and some parts are painted, others are plain solid black plastic. I've also seen a PC laptop or two that is solid black plastic, unpainted.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 11:01 AM

Beginning with the iBooks, and continuing to the PowerBook G4 models and MBP, the trackpad surface wears smooth quickly -- REALLY quickly. It's not grease.

As for a Magic Eraser: it's not removing grease. A Magic Eraser is a melamine foam micro-abrasive, so what you're doing, essentially, is micro-sanding the surface, which is removing the sheen.

tooki

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Come again? Have a look at a Pismo one day, why don't you? They are solid black, and some parts are painted, others are plain solid black plastic. I've also seen a PC laptop or two that is solid black plastic, unpainted.

tooki

It's been years since I had my hands on a Pismo. However I don't remember it having a powder coated finish like the Blackbook has. The Pismo has more of a shiny, black shell doesn't it?

Regardless I think we'll find out how durable the Blackbook's finish really is after a few weeks. If it does start wearing down then there will be a lot of hardcore complaining as 'looks' are the main reason people are paying a premium to own it for.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
BS. That picture only goes to show the white letters are printed onto a black surface.

Listen to Ben, he's right....
So does Ben even own a black Macbook yet? The finish on the Blackbook is clearly powder coated. It actually has a similiar texture to my old Powerbook Ti. That thing is painted and shows scratches. Perhaps it's all black plastic but that doesn't mean that there isn't a black paint applied.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 12:06 PM

What you said (and since deleted from your post) is that "A solid black plastic would be very difficult to achieve," which is utter nonsense.

You are correct that plastic tends to come out shiny, and I would agree that the black MB is painted. Paints offer both a much wider range of color, texture, and finish, plus paints can be more durable than some plastics. If the paint flakes off, then something's wrong with the choice of plastic, primer, and/or paint.

The Pismo is not painted, and has a satiny finish, though that's really by design -- there are parts (such as the inside of the port door) that are matte plastic. The rest of the Pismo is rubber-coated metal.

tooki

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 01:04 PM

So does Ben even own a black Macbook yet?
Don't know but I own one myself and I know as a fact that the white letters are printed onto the black plastic of the MB and not the other way around like you tried to imply. Black plastic is simple and common. What you posted was just baloney.
ā€¢

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:10 PM

Don't know but I own one myself and I know as a fact that the white letters are printed onto the black plastic of the MB and not the other way around like you tried to imply. Black plastic is simple and common. What you posted was just baloney.
Whatever. It may be black plastic but it clearly has a black powder paint applied. Don't worry, I am envious that you own one. However I don't understand why you need both a MB and MBP Something tells me that you have too much dispoable income.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 01:13 PM

However I don't understand why you need both a MB and MBP Something tells me that you have too much dispoable income.
That is absolutely none of your business. A simple 'sorry for posting false information' would have been more appropriate.
ā€¢

eStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 01:28 PM

Which leads us to a good question, how do we prevent or cover the sheen issue?

By the way the sheen I have is not from oil or grease it's from sheer daily use and wear.

For my iBook G4 I made a paper template that matched the trackpad shape...Worked well and stayed put on it's own but it did warp somewhat from the heat of my hands. I made one for my other computer (toshiba) and it worked well. Although it's a temp solution it does work somewhat and might not be worth the effort for most of you guys.

i'm working on making a trackpad cover from the vinyl material used to cover text books, residue is the biggest issue but, I think i know how to prevent that...

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:39 PM

That is absolutely none of your business. A simple 'sorry for posting false information' would have been more appropriate.
Apologize for what? It's painted dude and it will eventually wear down to where you'll have shiny splotches in the areas of most use. I wouldn't worry about it unless you bought it solely for showing off which is probably the case. Then all I have to say is, too bad.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 01:46 PM

You posted misinformation. Black plastic is not hard to make.

Nobody is disputing that it's painted. They're disputing your total nonsense about plastic colors.

tooki

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
They're disputing your total nonsense about plastic colors.

tooki

Actually I think they are. To achieve a matte finish on the BMB there is a finish of paint.

I don't have a background in plastics but I suspect it's more difficult to manufacture a pure black than it is say white.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 03:58 PM

So does Ben even own a black Macbook yet? The finish on the Blackbook is clearly powder coated. It actually has a similiar texture to my old Powerbook Ti. That thing is painted and shows scratches. Perhaps it's all black plastic but that doesn't mean that there isn't a black paint applied.
[the inline image rules apply to you, too --tooki]

If there is black paint, it's only around the screen. Oh yeah, and yes i own a blackbook.

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2006, 05:14 PM

Anyone remember the monolith in 2001: A Space Oddessy? The full size one that the apes see at the begining? Black lucite. Guaranteed. And that part of the movie was made in late 1966 or early 1967. Black plastic is EASY.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

masugu
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 05:22 PM

Bring back the PowerBook 160's TrackBall I say!!!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 07:12 PM

Actually I think they are. To achieve a matte finish on the BMB there is a finish of paint.

I don't have a background in plastics but I suspect it's more difficult to manufacture a pure black than it is say white.
The reverse is true.

Clear plastics are harder to manufacture well. Black plastics are the strongest, clear, the weakest. White, not much different from black.

Also, powdercoat is not something that can be done to plastic. It is a metal treatment, where colored powder is static electrically attracted to metal surfaces and then baked in an oven at hundreds of degrees where the powder melts and coats the metal surface creating a very tough finish.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by eStar
Which leads us to a good question, how do we prevent or cover the sheen issue?
I owned a PowerBook for a while. Having seen the wear on my older iBook trackpad, I decided to cover the trackpad on the PowerBook when it was brand new. I carefully cut and applied a piece of self-adhesive laminating film, available at an office supply store. Actually, it took several tries, with several pieces of film to get it on there without any dust or bubbles underneath it. When I sold the PowerBook after about a year, I removed the film and carefully cleaned off a little bit of adhesive residue. The trackpad looked brand new. Kind of anal, now that I look back on it, but the new owner probably thought the trackpad had never been used. I think a worn trackpad gives a notebook a little bit of character.

For those who may wonder, a trackpad functions perfectly with laminating film stuck to its surface.

tricha6
May 29, 2006, 11:11 AM

I'm surprised this is an issue, consiering the black ipod scroll wheel wears in the exact same way. You'll see it in black ipods at the Apple stores or if you own one, over time. The matte finish comes off (or is coated in grease, sweat, human-goo, whatever) and the trackpad gets a faint sheen/shine to it.

If that looks worse to you, well then that may be a problem, but I don't think it looks bad.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 12:10 PM

You can try these trackpad film covers. The 17" size will fit the MacBook unfortunately there's no black one.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=pb
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

masugu
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
You can try these trackpad film covers. The 17" size will fit the MacBook unfortunately there's no black one.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=pb

That is a very cool idea. Hmm....we can only hope someone is working on a black one. This would throw off the aestheic big time, eh?
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 01:55 PM

I used those trackpad films on all of my iBooks & Powerbook...just be aware that the film wears just as quickly if not MORE quickly than your actual trackpad, so while it's great that you are protecting the actual trackpad from wear & tear, if you're doing it just so the appearance of your laptop is pleasing, forget it...the trackpad film looks like **** within a month or so.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 04:31 AM

The black finish is the culprit, it shows every scratch and finger oil stain. Yet another reason to love white!

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by eStar
By the way the sheen I have is not from oil or grease it's from sheer daily use and wear.
What exactly do you think daily use and wear is? I'll spell it out for ya: oil and grease from your fingers, routinely wiping across the trackpad.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2006, 07:17 AM

The wear I saw on the store models was the main reason I didn't buy the black model. They had been on the shop floor for about three days and both the trackpad and the keyboard were beginning to look shiny.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 09:45 AM

Sheesh. Everyone lighten up.

I'd like to throw out that I as well am a happy Mr. Clean Magic Eraser user and it works wonders for my computers...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 31, 2006, 11:29 AM

Well to be fair the trackpad on my white iBook is all shiny.

Does the Mr Clean thing really work? I heard it will mess up the finish even more..

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

zmcgill
May 31, 2006, 11:31 AM

Ditto on the Magic Eraser. It made my and my friend's slimy marked trackpads look and feel like new. My dad's iBook G3's trackpad had a definite white circle in the middle and was nearly black everywhere else. He also had post-it adhesive all over the palm rests. The MCME made it like new again.
One thing about wear; on the older black Pro Keyboards, the keys are translucent with a bit of a matte texture. The spacebar on the one I'm using right now, is shinier, but it's not oil and grease, because where it's shiny, it's also a lot more transparent. The matte finish wears off the keys, after several years, mind you, but some of the shininess could be oil, some could be wearing down. It's like sanding with a reeeally smooth sandpaper (your thumbs).

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
Sheesh. Everyone lighten up.

I'd like to throw out that I as well am a happy Mr. Clean Magic Eraser user and it works wonders for my computers...
Have you in fact used it on your Blackbook??? If so....does the finish seem to be ok???

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 07:12 PM

I have and made it look perfect.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

eStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 06:32 PM

Well I would agree, but if you rubbed a peice of paper over one spot for long enough that too would make it shiny. Really has nothing to do with grease and oil although the oil probably helps the wear down appear faster. Afterall in alot of industries if they want to buff something and make it shiny they use a buffing agent...main ingredient? Oil.

What exactly do you think daily use and wear is? I'll spell it out for ya: oil and grease from your fingers, routinely wiping across the trackpad.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 27, 2006, 09:47 AM

I do, and I assure you, black is just as easy to create and mold as any color.

As a previous poster said, the only difficult "color" to mold is a transparent colors as they show mold lines and the consistency of the color is a little more difficult to achieve.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2006, 02:40 PM

Use a MouseĀ®

macblackbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2006, 04:00 PM

my toshiba experienced this. The circle got bigger and bigger. I just got my macblack book and haven't used it as much as you. But it will probably wear off huh .. so i'm using a mouse more then. If you get fujitsu or maybe sony the touchpad is so much better and doesnt wear off!

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2006, 04:38 PM

Just use the Magic eraser, I use one about twice a week over the entire computer (not screen of course) and mine looks just like the day I bought it.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Forum Links
Forum Rules