Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook F12 eject key

iBook F12 eject key
ddukes
Oct 15, 2001, 05:45 PM

I've looked high and low for an Applescript that does the same thing the F12 key does on the iBook (to eject the CD-ROM tray).

Does anyone know any applescript commands that would control the CD mechanism?

The closest I found was something on ResExcellence that's searches for a mounted disk and then ejects.

What I'd like is a function that controls it directly.

Anyone??

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 10:30 AM

Not sure yet if this is AppleScript related or not, but in OS X 10.1, the F12 key will eject any CD regardless of what Mac it is. Not sure if that's a buried AppleScript or if there's something else. I'll have to dig into it a little further....

ddukes  (op)
Oct 16, 2001, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
<STRONG>Not sure yet if this is AppleScript related or not, but in OS X 10.1, the F12 key will eject any CD regardless of what Mac it is. Not sure if that's a buried AppleScript or if there's something else. I'll have to dig into it a little further....</STRONG>
Yeah, I noticed this myself.

It's a shame Apple doesn't expose it easily. I even looked through the Developer documentation.

I'll keep looking.

-Q-
Oct 16, 2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by ddukes:
<STRONG>

Yeah, I noticed this myself.

It's a shame Apple doesn't expose it easily. I even looked through the Developer documentation.

I'll keep looking.</STRONG>
Even developer documentation is a joke right now. I just hope that with 10.1 they start realizing the importance of the tech docs so application development is easier.

None of my developer friends can find anything of worth on this feature. But we'll keep looking...

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2001, 04:13 AM

Hey, i just like the option of just hitting a button on my keyboard instead of looking for that DAMN BUTTON all the time!!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

ddukes  (op)
Oct 17, 2001, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
<STRONG>Hey, i just like the option of just hitting a button on my keyboard instead of looking for that DAMN BUTTON all the time!! </STRONG>
Me too.

I just want to take that feature and modify it a bit and incorporate it into a project.

Forum Links
Forum Rules