Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever done shameless plugging for Apple?

Ever done shameless plugging for Apple?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 02:53 PM

I'm just curious: how many of you try guerrila marketing and drop Apple's name whenever an opportunity presents itself?

I don't do it in most cases, but as a tech support rep I occasionally get an opportunity to plug Apple without sounding like a PR person. Since I work for an ISP, I often have to get a customer to try a website or two to see if they can get online. Guess what one of the sites I recommend happens to be?

It's perfectly excusable to do that, too. Most people know how to spell "apple," after all, and it's a very reliable site. It's amusing to hear some Windows-only user ask "what's Panther?" if they connect successfully.

What's really cool is that I also had a customer just today ask about online music services, since he wanted to go legit. I don't think that I have to tell you who I mentioned first! He was actually surprised that iTunes was available for Windows and was eager to check it out when he could.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 03:26 PM

I always do this persistently to piss my friends off.

They hate how I can flawlessly do any task on my mac where as it locks up their PC.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 03:40 PM

I work as a help desk technician at my university. I plug Apple every chance I get.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
I always do this persistently to piss my friends off.

They hate how I can flawlessly do any task on my mac where as it locks up their PC.
Hehe, same here.
But yeah, I do advocate Apple a lot. I should probably stop because it really annoys people...

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 03:50 PM

I do it quite often, sometimes without thought.

It's funny though, sometimes i throw it in wthout thinking, had a pic of a prop on this other site a few weeks ago, it was sitting in front of my monitor.. day later

"nice mac" <-- and about 5 posts follow about people who either had one or wanted one.. THEN the rotten one "mac sux" not my fault lol
I throw up screencap and they drool...

my IRC server is living proof that macs do rawk
Aloha

hayesk
Nov 8, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by fromthecloud:
I work as a help desk technician at my university. I plug Apple every chance I get.
I used to do that when I worked at a help desk. One guy came in and said to me "I don't believe in Macs". WTF? You don't believe in them? What does that mean?

He then proceeded to tell me how slow they were. At the time the fastest PC was a PII 233 (or 266, I forget). Since MHz was the be all and end all for him, I showed him a PowerMac 9500/350 MHz.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

I work in a Mac centric department, so I can't really advertise in there. They already know the benefits.

I do however, give tours to prospective students, and I take them by our all iMac cluster. I also point out that I use a Mac and have no problems. Tours don't happen that often, but when they do, Apple is coming up. That's the extent of my shameless plugging.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

I plug apple all the time, but its not actually shameless plugging, it's more of a "free consultation". Buy a Mac now and you probably won't need me to fix it, but if you need a network to set up your kids and wife's new Macs, call me!

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 05:40 PM

One of the ones I had fun doing was a few days ago, my g/f's cousin was protesting her desire to get an emac:

"but what about stuff like internet connections? Nobody here knows how to fix a dumb mac and they're a pain to network"

my response:
"having known the way her internet connection works all she has to do is plug her computer in and it'll be online from the start"

Funny thing is windows xp does this too.. what a moron

He goes on to argue 'but what about technical problems?' <-- I don't think she'll have any, and if she does, they should be easy enough to fix
Aloha

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 05:55 PM

I always plug the OS. And I guess using a Powerbook at the cafe is free advertizing. I should get paid.

benb
Nov 8, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I used to do that when I worked at a help desk. One guy came in and said to me "I don't believe in Macs". WTF? You don't believe in them? What does that mean?

He then proceeded to tell me how slow they were. At the time the fastest PC was a PII 233 (or 266, I forget). Since MHz was the be all and end all for him, I showed him a PowerMac 9500/350 MHz.
Um, that would be a 9600 dude.

Forum Links
Forum Rules