Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fan Always On?

Fan Always On?
Thread Tools
opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 11:29 PM
 
On my 15" PowerBook, from the moment I bring it up from sleep mode I hear a fan going constantly. Now, this is by no means a loud fan -- unless it's dead quiet in the house and I'm using it on my lap, I usually don't hear it -- but I was under the impression that the PBs didn't run a fan at all until they got fairly hot (running games and such). Is this normal?
     
Preciousss
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 02:49 AM
 
Several variable come to mind. First of all it's summer (in the northern hemishpere). Where are you located, and is the outside temparture warmer? Second, what are you doing with the computer and how soon after sleeping it do you wake it. Third, which PB do you have (Ti, GHz, Superdrive) and what OS are you running?

For me, i have the last of the TiBooks--those of the notorious fan noise. But I've noticed since upgrading to 10.2.8 that my (low) fans come on almost for no reason, constantly. Even when I'm not doing much at all with the machine (browsing, email). There have been times when they've just come on after waking too, when it seems it should've had sufficient time to cool. I'm getting worried myself, especially since they're on for pretty much the whole work day.

Maybe resetting the PRAM may help...<shrug> Anybody got other ideas?

Originally posted by opti:
On my 15" PowerBook, from the moment I bring it up from sleep mode I hear a fan going constantly. Now, this is by no means a loud fan -- unless it's dead quiet in the house and I'm using it on my lap, I usually don't hear it -- but I was under the impression that the PBs didn't run a fan at all until they got fairly hot (running games and such). Is this normal?
     
Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Concord, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 07:15 AM
 
Well as the Preciousss suggested, resetting the PRAM may help.
And there is also another factor: air flow

I primarily use my 1.25GHz PBG4 as desktop replacement, so it sits on my desk on a travel coolpad. Sometimes with even the AC on at 68-70 degrees, the machine can still become quite warm, and the internal fan may kick into first stage. Pointing a fan in the general direction to my desk solves that problem easily.

Hope that helps,
Daytona
     
Buck_W
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 08:38 AM
 
My 15" TiBook's fan has begun running constantly as well. I am in an air conditioned house, with only mail and Safari open. Would someone remind me how to re-set the PRAM? Are there any cons associated with zapping that?

Thanks

P.S. I am running OS X 10.3.4 on an 867 TiBook with 768 MB of Ram
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3
     
Preciousss
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 11:06 AM
 
Reset PRAM

There's also some info there about what's stored in PRAM, so you can decide for your situation what any cons might be.

Also forgot about resetting the PMU . Not sure if it'll help in this situation though.


Originally posted by Buck_W:
My 15" TiBook's fan has begun running constantly as well. I am in an air conditioned house, with only mail and Safari open. Would someone remind me how to re-set the PRAM? Are there any cons associated with zapping that?

Thanks

P.S. I am running OS X 10.3.4 on an 867 TiBook with 768 MB of Ram
     
opti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 11:21 PM
 
Originally posted by Preciousss:
Several variable come to mind. First of all it's summer (in the northern hemishpere). Where are you located, and is the outside temparture warmer? Second, what are you doing with the computer and how soon after sleeping it do you wake it. Third, which PB do you have (Ti, GHz, Superdrive) and what OS are you running?

For me, i have the last of the TiBooks--those of the notorious fan noise. But I've noticed since upgrading to 10.2.8 that my (low) fans come on almost for no reason, constantly. Even when I'm not doing much at all with the machine (browsing, email). There have been times when they've just come on after waking too, when it seems it should've had sufficient time to cool. I'm getting worried myself, especially since they're on for pretty much the whole work day.

Maybe resetting the PRAM may help...<shrug> Anybody got other ideas?
Thank you for the lengthy reply, and sorry about the lack of details. This is a new PowerBook 15", with the default low-end config except I upgraded the HD to the 80 gig, 5400rpm drive. This means that it has the combo driver rather than the superdrive. I'm running Panther 10.3.4.

I am located in Arizona, and you can't get much hotter than that. Our house runs around 80 degrees fahrenheit. Even so, I'm noticing this right after I wake it up before it feels warm at all.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,