Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > help please?

help please?
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 08:58 PM

evenin',

i am pretty sure i am missing something that is extremely simple, but can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my code ( i know it is VERY simple and basic, but it i just started the class and sometimes things at the beginning are simple sorry! )

this work fine at school with Visual C++ (could be what the problem is?) but when i try to compile this at home in terminal with g++ or gcc, it returns that main() must return an integer. i have added a return 0; in there, but it still comes back that i must return an integer in main(). any ideas what i am missing or not seeing that i need to fix? (it is taken straight out of the book.) thanks!!

code:
//decision demo

#include<iostream.h>

void main()
{
int first, response, bigger;

cout << "Enter an integer value ";
cin >> first;
cout << "You entered " << first << endl;
cout << "Enter any number bigger than " << first << " ";
cin >> response;

if(response > first)
cout << "Good job" << endl;
else
{
cout << "You did not follow directions" << endl;
cout << response << " is not bigger than " << first << endl;
}

bigger=first+6;
cout << "Enter any number between " << first << " and " << bigger << " "<< endl;
cin >> response;

if (response > first && response < bigger)
cout << "Good job " << endl;
else
cout << "No " << response << " isn't between those numbers" << endl;

cout << "Enter any number less than " << first << " ";
cin >> response;
if (response < first)
cout << "Good job!"<< endl;
else
cout << "Nope, I am sorry. That is incorrect."<< endl;

cout << "Enter a number equivalent to what your first number (it's at the top of the screen) " << " ";
cin >> response;
if (response == first)
cout << "Good job!" << endl;
else
cout << "I am sorry, " << response << " is not equal to " << first << endl;

cout << "Enter a number that is smaller than " << first << " or greater than " << bigger << endl;
cin >> response;
if ((response < first) | (response > bigger))
cout << "Great job!" << endl;
else
cout << "I am sorry, you entered a number that is incorrect." << endl;

}

thanks again!

ps any idea what i need to do to be able to run this in XCode? i oopen it and it doesn't give me options to be able to build, compile, link or anything. thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by zanyterp:
void main()
Declares a function which takes no arguments and returns void, not an integer.

And xCode does not work with individual files. You can only build and run a project. However, you can make a project that contains only one source file. The reason it works this way is that build settings are stored in the project.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Declares a function which takes no arguments and returns void, not an integer.

And xCode does not work with individual files. You can only build and run a project. However, you can make a project that contains only one source file. The reason it works this way is that build settings are stored in the project.

that's what i thought, and understood from the book, which is why i was wondering why it was saying that (it's what the error says). is my command wrong, then possibly?

prompt> g++ file.cpp

so to use my single source code files, since we are doing only simple console stuff right now, would be File:New, Project then copy & paste my code into the new window with main() selected?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 10:47 PM

that's what i thought, and understood from the book, which is why i was wondering why it was saying that (it's what the error says). is my command wrong, then possibly?

prompt> g++ file.cpp
What I'm saying is, it's not enough to add a return 0 at the end. The C++ Standard says that the main function must have the signature int main() or int main(int, char**). Visual C++ allows void main(), but it's not valid C++.

so to use my single source code files, since we are doing only simple console stuff right now, would be File:New, Project then copy & paste my code into the new window with main() selected?
Yep. You'll want your project type to be Standard C++ Tool (or whatever it is along those lines).
Chuck
___

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
What I'm saying is, it's not enough to add a return 0 at the end. The C++ Standard says that the main function must have the signature int main() or int main(int, char**). Visual C++ allows void main(), but it's not valid C++.

Yep. You'll want your project type to be Standard C++ Tool (or whatever it is along those lines).
that's what i was looking for. thank you. i had a feeling that part of the problem could be the machines at school and the book is probably strong related to MS. . . .
but such is life. i will have to check that and see if it will work. will void int main() work or is it only one of the choices listed above or add int, char** in the ()? and i am sorry i misunderstood your first post and trying to make sure i got it. and while we're on the subject of valid C++, is main() supposed to have return 0 at the end or is that optional?
thanks for the help!

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2004, 02:11 AM

that's what i was looking for. thank you. i had a feeling that part of the problem could be the machines at school and the book is probably strong related to MS. . . .
but such is life. i will have to check that and see if it will work. will void int main() work or is it only one of the choices listed above or add int, char** in the ()? and i am sorry i misunderstood your first post and trying to make sure i got it. and while we're on the subject of valid C++, is main() supposed to have return 0 at the end or is that optional?
thanks for the help!
Here's what you should be:

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

....type your code here....

return 0;
}
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2004, 04:51 AM

and while we're on the subject of valid C++, is main() supposed to have return 0 at the end or is that optional?
It isn't required as far as I'm aware (the compiler should assume 0 if no return value is specified), but I generally put it in anyway, for consistency if nothing else.
Chuck
___

hermasj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 02:39 PM

I'd also point out that in the console/command line world a program that returns 0 is generally considered to have completed successfully. A non-zero return value typically indicates some sort of error occurred.

Forum Links
Forum Rules