Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AP/AE network w/o base station?

AP/AE network w/o base station?
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 02:02 PM

I've been looking for some time at creating a wireless network at home, but not sure i want a base station (just two computers). it seems when it was released, either the original or with AE, that if both computers have a card installed that the network can setup and run without needing a base station (though one would be "master" and the other "slave"). is this true? has anyone tried it with any success or know if i am out on a limb without a place to go?

thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2005, 05:39 PM

Basically you can set up a wireless network between your two computers. However, sharing an Internet connection this way is a major pain, and by the nature of this computer-to-computer network (they're called "ad hoc" networks) you have to set it up every time you connect. Getting a router will make your life a lot easier in this.

I think you should get a wireless router and set up a permanent (or "infrastructure") network. These boxes are inexpensive, fairly easy to set up, and they make sharing yoru connection MUCH easier. You do not need an AirPort Base Station to network your Macs, though that's one choice. ANY product that supports the IEEE 802.11g/b standard, which is also known as "WiFi," will work for you. Plus, most third party wireless routers have four wired ports, increasing your flexibility.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 05:43 PM

i just signed up for dsl and they are providing a wireless modem/router for the connection. would this be ok and do the same for the 'net share and connection?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2005, 06:32 PM

Yes it will work. What brand are they providing?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 06:56 PM

if i remember right it's actiontech (sp?). are there some that are more finicky than others with their Mac support?

Forum Links
Forum Rules