Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac RAM from 18004memory.com

eMac RAM from 18004memory.com
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 03:21 AM

has anyone used memory from 18004memory.com? i am looking to upgrade my emac's ram with either a 256MB ro 512MB chip. i found several 512's for <$100 (between 70 & 90). anyone know if this is a case of "if it looks too good to be true, probably is" or "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"

thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2005, 09:57 AM

i personally don't have any experience with 18004memory.com - i have read good things and bad things about them. so it could go either way. i always buy from crucial.com or ramjet.com depending on who has the cheaper price at that time. i think there are a number of threads around here where people talk about 18004memory. do a search if you haven't already...good luck

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2005, 10:06 AM

There are two categories of RAM: name brand and generic. If you want to buy generic RAM, if the quality of the RAM does not matter that much to you, then 18004memory.com (Coast to Coast) is for you. Many people have fine experiences with them. They are one of the cheapest suppliers. I have never purchased from the company, but many have fine experiences. I have, however, had generic RAM fail on me after a couple of years of good use. Once that happened, I decided I would only buy name brand RAM.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2005, 10:15 AM

I bought RAM for my iBook 2 1/2 years ago. Genric, no problems so far. I would buy there again.

However, the price ($ 70-90) for 512 MB SO-DIMM PC2700 DDR (latest eMac, mini) is quite a lot. Make sure you get the right RAM for the eMac, depending on what generation eMac you have.

Take a look at the price comparisons here:

http://www.dealram.com/
http://ramseeker.com/pc/index.php

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 20, 2005 at 10:21 AM. )

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
I bought RAM for my iBook 2 1/2 years ago. Genric, no problems so far. I would buy there again.

However, the price ($ 70-90) for 512 MB SO-DIMM PC2700 DDR (latest eMac, mini) is quite a lot. Make sure you get the right RAM for the eMac, depending on what generation eMac you have.

Take a look at the price comparisons here:

http://www.dealram.com/
http://ramseeker.com/pc/index.php

-t
i need the pc133, i think, unless pc2700 is backwards compatible and i missed reading that, for the generation eMac before came with usb 2.0.

thanks for the ideas and replies!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Dave B
Jun 20, 2005, 12:17 PM

I have an eMac that has been running 2 512 sticks from them for a bit over 2 years with no problems.
At the time the memory was purchased it was $180.00 for both -- it's a lot cheaper now!
I just received a 1 GB stick for the Revision B iMac ($79.00 delivered) -- so far so good.
Worth noting is that this stick has 16 chips of 64-bit density, so if I ever decide to replace
the 512 MB stick with another 1 GB stick, I'll be able to take advantage of having a "matched pair",
or 128-bit addressing.

mindwaves
Jun 20, 2005, 09:42 PM

I bought RAM for 2 iMacs from 18004memory. Great place.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
i need the pc133, i think, unless pc2700 is backwards compatible and i missed reading that, for the generation eMac before came with usb 2.0.

thanks for the ideas and replies!
You better figure out which one you need, pc133 and pc2700 are different memory types and use different slots.
MBP 1.83

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 09:02 PM

I usually buy my ram from 1004memory.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2005, 11:40 AM

I've been buying ram from them exclusively for five or six years now. Once they shipped me the wrong chip, back in 1999 or 2000, but they quickly corrected the mistake. I've never had any problems since.

-Finney
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules