Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone version 1.1.3 looks nice

iphone version 1.1.3 looks nice
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 03:49 AM

The new features are shown in a screenshot gallery. Amongst the new features depicted:

- Edit Home Screen - Rearrange icons on your home screen
- Drag icons around with your finger
- Locate Me integration (pseudo-GPS) with Google Maps
- Another screenshot of Locate Me
- Send SMS to multiple people
- Add Safari Bookmarks to your Home Screen (example)
- Mirror of some images provided in comments thread.

read this on macrumors.com they have some convincing screenshots
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
The new features are shown in a screenshot gallery. Amongst the new features depicted:

- Edit Home Screen - Rearrange icons on your home screen
- Drag icons around with your finger
- Locate Me integration (pseudo-GPS) with Google Maps
- Another screenshot of Locate Me
- Send SMS to multiple people
- Add Safari Bookmarks to your Home Screen (example)
- Mirror of some images provided in comments thread.

read this on macrumors.com they have some convincing screenshots
A link would have been handy....

Mac Rumors: iPhone 1.1.3 Features and Screenshots? Locate Me, Movable Icons, More...
Signature depreciated.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 11:15 AM

sorry it was late forgot the link
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 29, 2007, 12:31 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

There was also a rumor several weeks ago about the 1.1.3 update also having a voice recorder and disk mode, and due to be released "as early as this weekend." (remember, this was several weeks ago.)

What happened? Nothing.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 04:40 PM

These look convincing to me.

k2director
Senior User
Dec 29, 2007, 06:15 PM

Yet another update, and no sign of a To Do app.

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 09:13 PM

Why on earth is no one bitching about lack of Cut and Paste, and downloading images from Mail and Safari?! When did these two features become perks?! When did they become something that people aren't bitching about?!

I'm frankly shocked that Apple released this product without these two core features.
I loved my iPhone until 1 hour into using it and I realized these two CORE functions were absent.

C'mon, 1.1.3- let's get with the program.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by blicked View Post
Why on earth is no one bitching about lack of Cut and Paste, and downloading images from Mail and Safari?! When did these two features become perks?! When did they become something that people aren't bitching about?!

I'm frankly shocked that Apple released this product without these two core features.
I loved my iPhone until 1 hour into using it and I realized these two CORE functions were absent.

C'mon, 1.1.3- let's get with the program.
i'm a definite believer/in agreement about the cut/copy/paste (depending on how you look at it). Which part of the images are you referring to (i guess i've just been lucky and haven't had anything come up yet with an image in mail to know what you mean...and for safari, do you mean that you can't save any images found to like the photo section to later be sync'ed/just stored on the iPhone)?

The only two i would like to see that we don't have (yet? here's to hope) are Flash support and native iChat that uses the data portion of my plan rather than the SMS app that uses the text portion. Not sure which I would like more, but maybe the iChat app. But that could just be me for 2 native/core apps that make sense t me.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 02:56 AM

What about flash integration in Safari? Copy/Paste? The movable icons are nice but so what. I know that they are prepping for 3rd party apps but give us basic functionality first.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 10:39 AM

Seven months later with the iPhone I only found I wanted copy/paste when I wanted to send the same sms to more than one person.
If 1.1.3 ends up being real then there goes my need for copy/paste.

I hope it's real because I've used Google's Mobile Map application and the positioning is really neat. Here in New York City it is fairly accurate. Often I find myself opening the maps application and scrolling around trying to find my cross street.
Once Maps finds your location you can tell it to give you directions to or from there. Very nice.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Dec 30, 2007, 02:10 PM

My question about copy/paste is how do you think Apple would implement it? The interface doesn't have any contextual menus or keystrokes.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
My question about copy/paste is how do you think Apple would implement it? The interface doesn't have any contextual menus or keystrokes.
Dunno but if they can make software for a phone like this I'm sure they can figure something out
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2007, 03:17 PM

Here's a great idea for how to possibly implement cut and paste:

Fake iPhone cut & paste demo loves you - Engadget

seems pretty smooove to me.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2007, 03:23 PM

MMS! I am so tired of going to the crappy viewmymessage.com and trying to remember that ridiculous garble of code. MMS, please, and multiple recipients for SMS and MMS. How difficult can this be when pretty much every durned phone can do it?

Copy/Paste would help, too.

EDIT: According to Gizmodo, 1.1.3 does let you send an SMS to multiple recipients. Sorry, Apple.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 31, 2007, 12:04 AM

I would say the same way you do it with the touchpad on the notebooks. A tap-and-drag is used to select, a two-finger tap brings up the context menu.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 02:55 AM

MMS, 3G and cut/paste are features sorely lacking in the iPhone. In that order.

No joking Apple!

“Building Better Worlds”

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2007, 02:58 AM

I just can't understand why they'd put movable home screen icons as a priority above mass delete function for e-mail.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones View Post
I just can't understand why they'd put movable home screen icons as a priority above mass delete function for e-mail.
I think this next update (1.1.3?) is mostly going to be for preparation of the iPhone SDK, so managing the home screen is a fundamental thing (the SDK will allow apps to be added so they're bound to clutter up everything and need to be managed).

However, I agree 100% with you that there are so basic features inexplicably missing in the iPhone already that one would have expected in the original release.

It's a work in progress, no question about it. If there is a silver lining it is that updates are pretty frequent and substantial. Apple is catching up and odds are that they will before the iPhone has been out a year (end of june '08)

I'm optimistic that by that time the 2.5G iPhone will be pretty robust.

“Building Better Worlds”

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 09:46 PM

^ agreed with sir Yutani. Apple, when stepping in new waters, is usually conservative with the feature-set in the first one or two iterations. Give it time.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 10:45 PM

There may be more to firmware 1.1.3... Mac Rumors: iPhone 1.1.3 to Include Copy/Paste?

It's just another rumor, but if true, it'll make many of you happy.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 12:36 AM

the 'viewmymessage' thing is a pain in the butt. Even if they never supported MMS proper, it seems that since hyperlinks are supported in text messaging windows, the least they could do is provide an actual link directly to the proper 'viewmymessage' page with the correct message ID already input -- then you'd only have to remember the password. Seems like a no-brainer to implement since they put the message ID and password in the notification anyway.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 12:23 PM

MMS and Copy/Paste are a must. It looks like we may be getting C/P right now.

Now if they'd only give us MMS and ActiveSync!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 11:59 AM

When is 1.1.3 expected to release?
---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.2Ghz/200GB 7200rpm HD

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 9, 2008, 12:44 PM

Sometime before the end of February.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2008, 12:59 PM

hmm i believe this update is due any moment.. from macworld '08 to february.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 01:42 PM

Not that I am lusting for it but it is rather surprising that the iPhone can't do video recording and MMS when even the shittiest phones on the market 5 years ago could.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 08:56 PM

I would expect it at Macworld. Hopefully they will let you make icons from webpages with the iPod touch updates too.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Not that I am lusting for it but it is rather surprising that the iPhone can't do video recording and MMS when even the shittiest phones on the market 5 years ago could.
I think we will see these "missing" apps soon from developers when the SDK is released.

nexus5.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 11:48 AM

I wonder how long until someone licenses ActiveSync and the iPhone gets that capability. I know Apple is (or was, in December) searching for someone to work on that internally, but it sure would be nice if someone would come out with something next month.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2008, 12:57 PM

Although I understand Apple's probable reasoning for what the 1.1.3 update is currently rumored to include, those basic functions you have already covered should be placed first and foremost.

Ask any iPhone user what features they're clamoring for and they'll give you a list containing exactly these same features you've mentioned as being unbelievably absent from the first few updates. In my opinion, it is just shy of inexcusable to have not included the following by now:
  • Copy and Paste
  • Flash support
  • Multiple delete command within Mail
  • Folders within Mail
  • Multiple inboxes
  • MMS
  • To Do's
  • The ability to download pictures from within Safari (Tap and Hold contextual menu)

...and probably a few others I've forgotten by now.

Hopefully, as many have pointed out, the iPhone's interface and usability will become ever-more robust in the next few months and include these features. I've sent many of my suggestions to the FEEDBACK page, have you guys?
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Although I understand Apple's probable reasoning for what the 1.1.3 update is currently rumored to include, those basic functions you have already covered should be placed first and foremost.

Ask any iPhone user what features they're clamoring for and they'll give you a list containing exactly these same features you've mentioned as being unbelievably absent from the first few updates. In my opinion, it is just shy of inexcusable to have not included the following by now:
  • Copy and Paste
  • Flash support
  • Multiple delete command within Mail
  • Folders within Mail
  • Multiple inboxes
  • MMS
  • To Do's
  • The ability to download pictures from within Safari (Tap and Hold contextual menu)

...and probably a few others I've forgotten by now.

Hopefully, as many have pointed out, the iPhone's interface and usability will become ever-more robust in the next few months and include these features. I've sent many of my suggestions to the FEEDBACK page, have you guys?
How do you mean multiple inboxes? You mean so you don't have to go out to the main mail screen and then choose another account to get to that inbox?

I definitely agree though with the Flash support, but can see based on the other opinions opined earlier on the problems with adding this support. And multiple delete would be REALLY nice too. I was not aware of the feedback page; i may just have to go visit that.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 10, 2008, 04:23 PM

Folders within Mail
That was there since 1.0. Connect to your account using IMAP instead of POP. All the folders you create on your IMAP account, using whatever mail client you use, will show up.

Multiple inboxes
You either mean multiple folders (addressed above) or multiple accounts. That's also been there since 1.0. Just add additional accounts either on the phone or check off additional ones in iTunes to sync.

The ability to download pictures from within Safari (Tap and Hold contextual menu)
What's the point? I can't imagine ever necessitating this feature, or why it's such a game killer.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Folders within Mail
That was there since 1.0. Connect to your account using IMAP instead of POP. All the folders you create on your IMAP account, using whatever mail client you use, will show up.
Gmail doesn't have "folders", but I would like to categorize mail and be able to drop messages into different folders on my iPhone once they've shown up in my inbox.

Multiple inboxes
You either mean multiple folders (addressed above) or multiple accounts. That's also been there since 1.0. Just add additional accounts either on the phone or check off additional ones in iTunes to sync.
Will it pull all mail at the same time into one box, notating which accounts each message correlates to? I don't want to have to switch accounts each time.

The ability to download pictures from within Safari (Tap and Hold contextual menu)
What's the point? I can't imagine ever necessitating this feature, or why it's such a game killer.
If I want to download a wallpaper optimized for the iPhone screen size, for example, I HAVE to be at a computer, download the image there, put it in the right folder, THEN sync the whole enchilada. Or, if I am browsing on my iPhone and see a picture that I want to email to somebody, there is currently no way to do that aside from just sending them the entire page or, again, being at a computer.

I didn't say it was a game killer...I would just like to see that feature implemented, since Apple touts mobile Safari as a desktop-like experience.
the geek source

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 10:57 AM

there is folders in gmail, but they are called something else and work a bit differently

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 12:43 PM

Gmail doesn't have "folders"
Precisely. But if you follow these instructions on Gmail's support section, you can connect to Gmail using IMAP, which will expose your labels as folders. You can read more about the behavior of those mailboxes using this handy table. It's not perfect, but much better than the default Gmail account set-up option.

Will it pull all mail at the same time into one box, notating which accounts each message correlates to? I don't want to have to switch accounts each time.
Sorry, on the iPhone there is no unified inbox. But It's really not as bad as it sounds, you get used to it quickly. In the mail app, you're never more than 3 taps (to the top left back button) away from your accounts listing.

I would like to categorize mail and be able to drop messages into different folders on my iPhone once they've shown up in my inbox.
Easy. When viewing a mail message, there's an icon in the bottom toolbar of a folder with an arrow on it. You tap that, and you get a listing of the mailboxes in that account. You select one, and then you see the little envelope icon representing your message jump into the mailbox you've selected.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 12:48 PM

If I want to download a wallpaper optimized for the iPhone screen size, for example, I HAVE to be at a computer, download the image there, put it in the right folder, THEN sync the whole enchilada. Or, if I am browsing on my iPhone and see a picture that I want to email to somebody, there is currently no way to do that aside from just sending them the entire page or, again, being at a computer.

I didn't say it was a game killer...I would just like to see that feature implemented, since Apple touts mobile Safari as a desktop-like experience.
Well, then that's a feature YOU want. Don't make it sound like every other iPhone user has the same wants as you do, because I for sure am fine with the iPhone the way it is. Anything extra is a plus, but it's not like I'm going to drop over and die if it's not implement, and this prevailing attitude (and the backlash after a common occurrence that was more publicized than it ought to have been) just makes iPhone users seem like snooty, demanding people.

That said, the iPhone is more akin to an experiment for Apple. The iPod has seen a steady evolution, both in software and hardware. I'd expect the same to happen for the iPhone, but with more of an emphasis on the software side. 1.1.3 demonstrates that. Give it some time.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2008, 01:30 PM

Well, then that's a feature YOU want. Don't make it sound like every other iPhone user has the same wants as you do, because I for sure am fine with the iPhone the way it is. Anything extra is a plus, but it's not like I'm going to drop over and die if it's not implement, and this prevailing attitude (and the backlash after a common occurrence that was more publicized than it ought to have been) just makes iPhone users seem like snooty, demanding people.

That said, the iPhone is more akin to an experiment for Apple. The iPod has seen a steady evolution, both in software and hardware. I'd expect the same to happen for the iPhone, but with more of an emphasis on the software side. 1.1.3 demonstrates that. Give it some time.
I never said anything about "every other iPhone user". I specifically said "I". Windows Mobile has had the ability to download pictures directly from the web browser for a long time. It's a very simple process, and I just can't see why it hasn't been included.

Also, I never said I'd "drop over and die" due to any shortcomings of the iPhone. The term I used in the beginning of my list may have seemed a little harsh, but that is MY opinion. Am I really concerned that anybody might view me (an iPhone user) as a "snooty, demanding" person? Nope. I couldn't care less, actually.

I paid a good chunk of money for the iPhone and I do believe that I have the right to be either completely satisfied, less than satisfied, partially satisfied or any other level of appeased with my purchase and what I would like to see.

If you are fine with all of the features of your iPhone, then that is wonderful. I, however, do not give it a 100% "perfect" mark or anything close. Would I give any other phone that approval? No, I wouldn't. Does that mean the iPhone isn't the best phone I've ever owned? No, actually it IS the best phone I've owned. But as long as there is room for improvement, I will always lobby for features I feel (and yes, others do too) could be implemented.

I AM giving it time...that's all I can do as one, single user. Can't I at least wish for features that seem relatively "industry-standard"?
the geek source

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 08:05 PM

...this prevailing attitude ...just makes iPhone users seem like snooty, demanding people.
Hoping that the iPhone can do video capture or send MMS messages (like every free phone on the market) is hardly being 'snooty'. It's a reasonable expectation.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 08:59 PM

I know that. I'm talking about the "it doesn't have (whatever) feature and I'm going to constantly rant about the iPhone's lack of this feature" tone. MMS and video capture are glaring omissions, but not everything is a glaring omission. I like how you ellipsed out the price cut backlash, which was my key point.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2008, 11:11 PM

I know that. I'm talking about the "it doesn't have (whatever) feature and I'm going to constantly rant about the iPhone's lack of this feature" tone. MMS and video capture are glaring omissions, but not everything is a glaring omission. I like how you ellipsed out the price cut backlash, which was my key point.
Yes, but just as you pointed to me as being in the minority for wanting certain features, it is also possible that you are in the minority for thinking that the features I and others detailed in this very thread are not important or not "glaring omissions."

And how did the price cut backlash even figure into this? I bought my first iPhone the day they came out, and didn't cry that I had spent $600 when Apple dropped the price. But, nonetheless, $400-$600 is a hefty amount to pay for a convergence gadget, and I think the points people have made regarding missing features that quite a few other "smartphones" have had for a long time shouldn't be ignored.

By the way, who is "constantly ranting?" That was actually the first post I've made about the iPhone features...
the geek source

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 AM

There's got to be something bigger to the no cut-and-paste feature. Before my iPhone, I had a T-Mobile dash with Windows Mobile 5, and it also didn't have cut and paste. Fortunately someone wrote an add-on which did it, but I still can't figure out why it wasn't there to begin with.

As for downloading pictures, the iPhone doesn't yet have the ability to mount as a drive, or a file browser (at least not an official one). This is the reason that it's being held up IMO. They don't want to allow you to download pictures and then not be able to get at them.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008, 11:31 PM

There's got to be something bigger to the no cut-and-paste feature. Before my iPhone, I had a T-Mobile dash with Windows Mobile 5, and it also didn't have cut and paste. Fortunately someone wrote an add-on which did it, but I still can't figure out why it wasn't there to begin with.

As for downloading pictures, the iPhone doesn't yet have the ability to mount as a drive, or a file browser (at least not an official one). This is the reason that it's being held up IMO. They don't want to allow you to download pictures and then not be able to get at them.
I don't think you'd have to mount it as a drive...when you take a picture, it is saved in your Pictures folder and is accessible once you connect your iPhone (I get a window that pops up within Windows XP that allows me to pull pictures off), so it wouldn't be difficult to save the pictures to there.
the geek source

Forum Links
Forum Rules