Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I saw the biggest Spider in my life!

I saw the biggest Spider in my life!
acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 12:22 AM

Today while I was using my new iBook. A MUTANT Spider came walking in. And that doesn't happen in Seattle. We don't have any huge nasty spiders. At least I didn't think so. This was dark brown and about 2-3 inches. I'm still grossed out. Just thought I'd share that.

WWF rules

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2001, 12:38 AM

I openend my mailbox the other day, and as I pulled out the mail, I had to pull off the layers of spider silk wrapped around the bundle of letters. I peered in, and saw a large spider just sitting there, all of the sudden he ran towards me! When I came back for him the next morning, he hid in a corner where I could only see the tips of two of his legs sticking out.

He met his end later that day.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2001, 12:49 AM

It was probably a Wolf Spider. They are harmless but really big. Their 8 eyes also glow if you shine a light into them.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

The Dude
Banned
Aug 23, 2001, 12:59 AM

SPIDERS!!??

*grabs giant novelty mallot used for smashing chickens and turkeys*

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 23, 2001, 01:36 AM

biggest damn spider i've seen was a little smaller than a bagel.
it was a wolf spider, not a tarantula. my dad had to use a shovel to end its life.

scary stuff.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2001, 02:31 AM

we get wolf spiders here too - though we call them "huntsmans" - they scare the crap out of you but they're harmless. You shouldn't kill them - take them outside to the garden - they make good fly and insect killers.

We have loads of nasty spiders and snakes in Australia - something you get used to.
this sig intentionally left blank

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2001, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>biggest damn spider i've seen was a little smaller than a bagel.
it was a wolf spider, not a tarantula. my dad had to use a shovel to end its life.

scary stuff.</STRONG>
Hehe, that reminds me of an incident at my uncle's house. He also had to use a shovel to kill an intruding pest, only it wasn't a spider it was a rat, and it wasn't the size of a bagel it was the size of a dog.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>...only it wasn't a spider it was a rat, and it wasn't the size of a bagel it was the size of a dog.</STRONG>
Wow... which size are your dogs?

-

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2001, 10:07 AM

Hey! I like spiders. They're the good bugs. It has taken YEARS of hard work to get my rabidly arachnophobic wife to just hollar when she sees one and not hurn everything in sight at the poor thing. I am more of the gently catch and release school of spider control. Catch them in the kitchen, release in the garden, basement, attic, porch. And centipedes. Won't kill them, either. They eat the true FREAK BUG CREATURES THAT ARE OUT TO DESTROY ME AND MY SANITY: Big ass crunchy bugs. Anything with a shell - it can fly or not, I do not discriminate- that is bigger than, say, a .22 slug is the ememy and must be destroyed. Preferrably slowly. By a spider. Or centipede. June bugs, palmettos, **** -a-roaches, Japanese beetles, whatever.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 02:26 PM

The biggest spider I've seen was a banana spider out in a tropical province. It was hiding behind a basketball and then it leaped out. It was the size of my fist/palm, and I'm about 5'9

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
<STRONG>Hey! I like spiders. They're the good bugs. ...</STRONG>
Me too. We have a ton where I live. Always a lot of flying bugs trapped in the webs.

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 23, 2001, 07:39 PM

Did it look like this?

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 07:45 PM

I believe Macintosh is trying to link to this:

"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2001, 08:30 PM

Sweet God!
That thing is Satan physicalized!
Or the starting point for the animators working on the end-sequence for The Mummy Returns.
Either way, if I ever set foot in a country that has those things, I'm not coming back until I've got a full-body protective suit and a flamethrower.
Yeesh!
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 23, 2001, 09:01 PM

Yep, that nasty spider is actually called a Whip Scorpion. They live in Africa, mostly southern. An interesting thing is they have a tail that not only snaps with its pinchers but sprays acid as a defense mechanism! They are more affectionately known as the Coach Whip, for reasons I would not like to disclose.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2001, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>Yep, that nasty spider is actually called a Whip Scorpion. They live in Africa, mostly southern. An interesting thing is they have a tail that not only snaps with its pinchers but sprays acid as a defense mechanism! They are more affectionately known as the Coach Whip, for reasons I would not like to disclose. </STRONG>
Is that a spider? I count six legs unless those "teeth" things are modified legs? The thing that bothers me about that monster is what looks like a huge sack of eggs under it? Yikes

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 23, 2001, 10:18 PM

Yesit is an arachnid,a spider. Scary eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules