Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tantalizing new project: Newton to control iTunes over AirPort

Tantalizing new project: Newton to control iTunes over AirPort
peertimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2001, 01:07 PM

I have a really cool request if anybody is up to it. I want to control iTunes on my G4 OSX server from a Newton placed in another room over AirPort. The set-up is this. The G4 is sound-wired to the Bang&Olufsen in the entire house. It has large hard disks with all my CD�s ripped to MP3 by iTunes. It is also networked permanently through AirPort to a cable modem. The way I control it today is by VNC on either my PowerBook or from a Dell notebook all connected through AirPort. Works fine, but not right where I want it. I am considering purchasing an older iBook with AirPort to do the job, but then I thought of this project for my Newton 2100, which is sadly collecting dust.

I would like to have the Newton as the sole MP3 / iTunes remote control. Question: Could I use VNC on Newton to do this? Yes, so I have heard, it is possible, but the screen is small and thus cumbersome to control a much larger machine. The coolest thing would be to have a remote control function on the Newton to interact with iTunes. The real gimmic would be if this could also be done through AirPort. I would then have wireless access to all my music and online radio through the coolest pad ever made!

Do any of you programmers take the challenge? Let�s make a package with a wireless card and software for the Newt with the great new iTunes remote software. It�s this year�s killer app. Hint: iPod also uses iTunes. A connected iPod would then be just as remote controllable.

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2001, 02:46 AM

Where I live we have excellent surf as a result of a recent Pacific storm. Since I'm not a surfer I settled for a nice motorcycle ride on my Harley. Here we have parks, beaches, mountains and Mexico a few minutes away.

I understand that Switzerland may not be quite as pleasant, but hey, get out of the house a bit. Live a little. Life is too short to devote to a fancy home stereo.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

peertimo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 04:53 AM

I take your hint.

Switzerland is not too bad on the surf front either, as long as you are comfortable doing it on snow. Have been skiing and boarding now for three months on the glaciers. We even had fresh powder in the middle of October.

On the windsurfing side, the winds have not been good enough, and of course, complete lack of waves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules