Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD Dual G4/867. CPU Fan kicks into really high rpm upon restart!

MDD Dual G4/867. CPU Fan kicks into really high rpm upon restart!
[osX]RTouris
Apr 14, 2003, 06:32 AM

A followup to my previous Troubleshooting post...

Upon shuting down the MDD Dual 867 powermac using the power button at the front face of the computer and then switching it back on again, the CPU fan kicks into some serious rpm and makes really loud noise for about 5-10 secs...Is that normal at all?

At first i thought there was something wrong with it, however I left it running like that, it went back to normal rpm again and then the monitor switched on and all the rest of the boot process seemed quite normal...

vasu
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 06:40 AM

A client of mines Dual867 does the exact same thing, however it does not boot at all. Doesn't even load open firmware, drives get no power, etc.

Logic board and CPU's are fried on his machine unfortunately.

-vasu

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 06:45 AM

The fan noise is totally normal! Mine does the exact same thing...

Glad to see you got it up and running...

Marc

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 06:51 AM

Well I could post a small video explaining what I mean, but the noise level for the first 5-10 sec is totally totally over the normal levels I've heard in the past. It's like having a huge hairdryer inside the mac!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
Well I could post a small video explaining what I mean, but the noise level for the first 5-10 sec is totally totally over the normal levels I've heard in the past. It's like having a huge hairdryer inside the mac!
It's outrageous isn't it! it is like I have turned on a hoover for 10 seconds when I have to restart!

Everytime it happens, it makes me regret selling my cube

Marc

P.S> Have you installed the firmware update that is meant to help the fan situation? It says it only helps in OS9 and not at restart, but may be worth a look. (I haven't bothered.. still waiting for my new PS..)

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 07:16 AM

The firmware is already @ 4.8.8f2, so I guess it's up to date, at least this is what the installer claimed when I tried to install the thing this morning. I've also registered for the Fan exchange program, hope it doesn't take them months to ship, cause I'm already regreting using this as my main machine while the QS sits next to it switched off....

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 07:27 AM

The firmware is already @ 4.8.8f2, so I guess it's up to date, at least this is what the installer claimed when I tried to install the thing this morning. I've also registered for the Fan exchange program, hope it doesn't take them months to ship, cause I'm already regreting using this as my main machine while the QS sits next to it switched off....
I spoke to Apple this morning over a few 'issues' with my d867 (being picked up for repair tomorrow ), and also brought up the PS replacement issue...

They said they were 'being processed' as we speak. I asked them, as I had ordered the kit an hour or so after announcement, and other people had received theirs, when it would be sent out, but they declined to comment, quoting that had 'many thousands of orders'...

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 07:31 AM

I guess Apple slowly turns into one of those slow moving bureaucracy organisations you find these days... Funny enough, this is the first Apple desktop I'm having such issues with. In the good old days it'd either work or not work (but in that case I'd know the reason). Now it's kinda makes you think about the problems over and over again...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 08:13 AM

Funny enough, this is the first Apple desktop I'm having such issues with. In the good old days it'd either work or not work (but in that case I'd know the reason). Now it's kinda makes you think about the problems over and over again...
I'm in the exact same boat! I have used Macs since about '93, and have had no serious hardware issues on the desktops at all until this dual 867...

(I have only had one 'serious' problem with any Mac at all...a TiBook 550 that had a faulty heat sink and fried itself, but was fixed under warranty in a few days.)

My current machine is as temperamental as they come (and has been from straight out of the box), an Apple tech has just told me I need either a new logic board or motorboard, definitely a new combo drive, and a processor may be faulty .. no wonder the thing breaks down...

I think it is a Quality Control issue, as I have heard too many similar stories recently...

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
...an Apple tech has just told me I need either a new logic board or motorboard, definitely a new combo drive, and a processor may be faulty .. no wonder the thing breaks down...
I suppose that's what mine needs too...However hold on a sec...This diagnosis is just...

ROFL!! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 09:07 AM

I suppose that's what mine needs too...However hold on a sec...This diagnosis is just...

ROFL!! Sorry, couldn't help myself!
LOL, I couldn't help laughing myself when the 'tech' guy told me... I actually asked him if was qualified to look at it.

The only thing I agree with is the Combo drive mainly due to the fact that it doesn't work, and is stuck 1/2 way out of the machine!!

As for the rest, I suspect it will be sent back to me with nothing more than a clean install of 10.2...

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 09:13 AM

Re: combo...The same thing happened to me the other day with a Firewire enclosure and a LiteOn CDRW...Having just received the unit back from service, I found out that the tray would literally not close.../or open completely, so I sent it back again...

The funny part of the story is that they sent the exact same drive back to me and it now behaves again...The tech guy was puzzled enough to tell me that the drive worked when they sent it out the first time around and it even worked when they received it after I reported the issue with the tray remaining half open...Now [b]that[b/] (especially the second one) I find hard to believe...However there were no marks to indicate that the drive was opened for service and the s/n is the same, thus leading me to further confusion...

Forum Links
Forum Rules