Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > apple design award/contest

apple design award/contest
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 09:16 PM

i was wondering if any of you know if entries for the apple design award contest have to written in objective-c or if any language is accepted? (i've checked the apple developer site and they just have a list of winners now.) thanks for help!

nick
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:40 AM

They tend not to announce the details of each year's contest until a few months before the deadline, which is usually about a month before WWDC... so stay tuned, it'll likely come in the next few weeks.

Regardless, the list of previous winners includes programs written for most, if not all, development frameworks available on OS X... from Carbon to Cocoa to RealBASIC. I'd be incredibly surprised if Apple chose to restrict this year's contest. (Though I'd not be very surprised if, like in the last few years, they add more categories which do have stipulations on just what kind of products can be entered, such as Best Open Source Unix Port or Best Dashboard Widget.)
( Last edited by Rickster; Jan 19, 2005 at 12:47 AM. )
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
They tend not to announce the details of each year's contest until a few months before the deadline, which is usually about a month before WWDC... so stay tuned, it'll likely come in the next few weeks.

Regardless, the list of previous winners includes programs written for most, if not all, development frameworks available on OS X... from Carbon to Cocoa to RealBASIC. I'd be incredibly surprised if Apple chose to restrict this year's contest. (Though I'd not be very surprised if, like in the last few years, they add more categories which do have stipulations on just what kind of products can be entered, such as Best Open Source Unix Port or Best Dashboard Widget.)
thanks. and C++ cannot access cocoa calls, right?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 03:30 AM

Yes and no. There's Objective-C++, which is better described as using C++ from within an Obj-C Cocoa program than the other way around. You can write as much of your custom logic in C++ as you want, but your interface to the Cocoa frameworks is still ObjC.

Afraid it's hard to learn? It's easy! (Really, just different syntax for the same sorts of OO concepts.) There's all sorts of great tutorial info already on your drive if you installed the Xcode Tools, plus more on developer.apple.com.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by zanyterp:
thanks. and C++ cannot access cocoa calls, right?
No, it is actually possible to acess Cocoa from C++ using loadable bundles (for example, if you want to implement WebKit into a Carbon application). There's an Apple TechNote on how to accomplish this.

Also, some IDE's (e.g. CodeWarrior) allow mixing of ObjectiveC into C++ (for example, I've wrapped WebKit inside a C++ class for calling from inside a Carbon app).

Forum Links
Forum Rules