Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Linked lists

Linked lists
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2005, 10:44 PM

Is code for linked lists transferable between mac/pc? i have the option of writing a report on linked lists or to develop a program using them; but at school we only have VS.NET for C# and was wondering the feasibility of writing at home and school. thanks!!!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

smitty825
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
Is code for linked lists transferable between mac/pc? i have the option of writing a report on linked lists or to develop a program using them; but at school we only have VS.NET for C# and was wondering the feasibility of writing at home and school. thanks!!!

I am assuming that you are writing your own linked list code? If so, then it should be fairly portable. (I am assuming that you are writing it in C#). However, by default, there is no support for C#...but there is an open-source project known as Mono, which will allow you to compile C# and use the executable generated on both Macs and Windows machines (or any other system that supports Mono)

Good luck with your class!

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by smitty825
I am assuming that you are writing your own linked list code? If so, then it should be fairly portable. (I am assuming that you are writing it in C#). However, by default, there is no support for C#...but there is an open-source project known as Mono, which will allow you to compile C# and use the executable generated on both Macs and Windows machines (or any other system that supports Mono)

Good luck with your class!
yeah, sadly we are using C# now (though it is not as bad as i had heard; i still prefer c++; perhaps until i can learn objective-c(++)) i have downloaded mono; does it install itself to xcode? or do i have to call it from the command line to compile? if i read the doc right, it will let me code in xcode and compile from there; is that right? thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 02:12 AM

. . . . side note . . . .
do the tutorials found on the apple dev site and in the folder when i install xcode help with learning IB (how they work with the code i write) and learning obj-c? thanks!!!

. . . . returning back to the regularly scheduled thread. . . .

smitty825
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
yeah, sadly we are using C# now (though it is not as bad as i had heard; i still prefer c++; perhaps until i can learn objective-c(++)) i have downloaded mono; does it install itself to xcode? or do i have to call it from the command line to compile? if i read the doc right, it will let me code in xcode and compile from there; is that right? thanks!
I personally think that C# is a fairly decent language...

As for getting C# to work with XCode, I'm not 100% sure. (I haven't used Mono on OS X in awhile.) That being said, I know that there are now some xcode projects that can specify the mono compiler and that may ship with the standard mono distribution. Also, check out Druware Software's xcode tools, which give you syntax highlighting for C#.

As for your side note, look for a tutorial in the /developer/documentation directory that is called "Introduction to Developing Cocoa Objective-C Applications: A Tutorial" That should show you the basics of how to interact with Obj-C and IB. (Or just by the Hillegas book)

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 09:39 PM

true, it is not a bad language. . . .just takes getting used to. thanks for the links. i will check it out at home. as for my side note, thanks. (anyone know if xcode 2 is different enough that trying to use it and the hillegas book is counterintuitive?) thanks!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2005, 11:04 PM

Xcode 2 is not a whole lot different than the previous version. Stuff is mostly added on rather than moved around (or at least that's true of the stuff I tend to use).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules