Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone else think apple forgot to make iphoto albums "spotlight-able"??

Anyone else think apple forgot to make iphoto albums "spotlight-able"??
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2006, 04:18 AM

I'm shocked and often inconvenienced by the fact that my itunes photo albums don't show up when i search in spotlight. A photo of my buddy ronni, easy to find? no? not unless i rename every digital picture of him to his name and then a number. This seems juvenile to me, i just installed ilife 06 expecting to gain this feature, but nope.

what gives?
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2006, 05:14 AM

Why not add his name as metadata to each file?

IMO that's how it should be done, via metadata instead of file names or collection names.

Franz
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 05:17 AM

I think its a bug. I recently formatted my Mac and did a clean install of Tiger and iPhoto 06, yet none of my library is indexed by spotlight.

iPhoto 5.0.2 supported this feature - the thing was that the photos needed to be tagged with keywords after that version (5.0.2), so your older photos would not be indexed. The workaround was to create a new keyword, tag all your photos with that keyword, and then remove that keyword and all your photos would be indexed.

I am not sure if this method works in 6.0 but you can try doing that. I'll try that tonight and see if it works.

OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2006, 05:21 AM

There is a spotlight import filter for iPhoto. So it is `spotlight-able'. Although you could argue that it is not spotlight-able enough or a bug may prevent your photo library from being indexed … but in principle, it should all be there.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules