Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Minijack to regular computer speaker adapter?

Minijack to regular computer speaker adapter?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 02:40 PM

If I ever get a new iMac, I'd likely need to get an adapter so that I could plug my existing speakers (or speakers that I might upgrade to) into the minijack port. Assuming that's necessary at all, are there such adapters, and are there any particular recommendations for adapters to use? Keep in mind that I live in Canada, so be sure to recommend a site that will ship here.

The harmon/kardon Soundsticks and iSub are nice and all, but I would prefer not to pay as much as I would for those just to get something better than the Apple Pro Speakers!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 04:39 PM

Go to RadioShack. Not sure what type of adapter you want as you don't mention what type of connectors your speakers have. Radioshack has a nice minijack to RCA jacks adapter (to connect a Mac's sound to a stereo or TV) and I'm sure they have others.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 05:23 PM

Sorry - basically, I'd like to hook up standard computer speakers (most of which just have have a single cable that goes into the "line in" part of the sound card. Thanks for the Radio Shack suggestion; normally I don't go there, but goodness knows that only so many stores will actually have something like this.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 05:43 PM

You don't need any adaptors! The speakers plug into the headphone jack on all G4s. The mini port is not for the speakers.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 10:53 AM

I've heard that, but I can't help but feel anxious. I wonder if Apple doesn't deliberately name the regular audio-out jack the "headphone jack" to make people think they need Pro Speakers...

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
<STRONG>I've heard that, but I can't help but feel anxious. I wonder if Apple doesn't deliberately name the regular audio-out jack the "headphone jack" to make people think they need Pro Speakers...</STRONG>
I have powered speakers connected to the headphone jack on my iBook, so it definitely works.

henry168
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 02:08 PM

The pro-speaker came with your iMac can ONLY plug into the iMac mini-digital jack!! It will not work on any other jacks, and I check with Apple Care Center, that there is NO adapter for this little guy at this time. I upgraded to the sound stick with the sub-woofer. It worths every penny!! And I have an extra pair of pro-speakers that I can't use!! Any buyer??

runningdog
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by henry168:
<STRONG>The pro-speaker came with your iMac can ONLY plug into the iMac mini-digital jack!! It will not work on any other jacks, and I check with Apple Care Center, that there is NO adapter for this little guy at this time.</STRONG>
There is an adapter, the PowerWave, but it's expensive.

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2002, 03:08 PM

All Macs currently come with a headphone jack which can handle standard, non-USB computer speakers from almost any manufacturer. The new iMac and the G4 towers, in addition to the headphone jack, also come with the mini-jack. The mini-jack can only be used with Apple's Pro Speakers. There is actually a good reason for this.

Apple has built in a special amplipher inside of the G4 iMac and G4 tower that is customized for the Pro Speakers. If you were to plug in standard speakers, especially those that are powered by their own AC adaptor, you were have problems that could cause damager to some expensive hardware. So Apple was smart and made a customized jack size to prevent people from putting third party speakers into the Pro Speaker port. Luckily Apple was also considerate and included the headphone port which does accept most third party speakers so one wouldn't have to buy the Pro Speakers.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 08:08 PM

Sheesh... all this discussion about a non-issue:

PLUG YOUR SPEAKERS INTO THE HEADPHONE JACK!!! THAT IS WHAT IT IS THERE FOR!

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by henry168:
<STRONG>The pro-speaker came with your iMac can ONLY plug into the iMac mini-digital jack!! It will not work on any other jacks, and I check with </STRONG>
The output on this is 100% ANALOG, as confirmed by the Apple website. Not sure about the special amplifier thing, but I doubt the amp would be very different from any other computer's amp. To be on the safe side, get a Y-adapter from Radio shack and pug it in to your headphone port. Plug your non-USB Speakers into one side and leave the other open for headphones or whatever else you want there.

-Matt

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
<STRONG>Sheesh... all this discussion about a non-issue:

PLUG YOUR SPEAKERS INTO THE HEADPHONE JACK!!! THAT IS WHAT IT IS THERE FOR!</STRONG>
That's what I tried to tell him, but people keep babbling on about nothing. Simple question, simple answer folks!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 03:23 PM

Thanks... sheesh, you'd think that Apple would use a term like "speaker jack" or "headphone/speaker jack" to let people know that they had alternatives. Regardless, this of course does mean that I can use any of my existing (and not altogether cheap) speaker setups rather than having to buy something new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules