Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > app/development ideas?

app/development ideas?
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2008, 09:04 AM

How do you decide on what type of applications to create? If there is something you would like/think would be cool to have, do you use that and figure that if you would like it, there is a chance someone else would? and additional practice is probably usually a good thing?

Thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 06:00 PM

It depends. I've written three full-blown Mac applications so far (only one available to the public at the moment). Two of them were simple "man, I wish there were a really simple program to do X" moments. The third, which is still under development, was a favor to my university's CS department. But the one that's public has netted almost half a million downloads in just over a year and a half (plus a few hundred $$$ in donations). Start by writing what you want to write, and worry about other people later.

And yes, practice ALWAYS helps. Programming is one of those things where you just have to keep writing code to improve.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2008, 11:35 PM

Thanks, TheoCryst!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 12:30 PM

The only shareware app I ever wrote that really made me some money was a little $5 program called DropImage I made several years ago. I was working at CNN.com and was frustrated browsing through hundreds of images trying to figure out what they looked like and how big they were. Opening in Photoshop took too long, and this was pre-OSX, so there were no Finder tools to do what I wanted.

I made DropImage in an afternoon, and liked it so much I put it out as shareware. I updated it whenever I wanted to to do something else. I made about $1500 at $5 each, so it must have been a decent idea at its time. The key to writing successful software is for it to fill a niche that is currently unfilled, and to do so at a price point that is compelling.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules