Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PRS Guitars Smacks Gibson Guitars back down

PRS Guitars Smacks Gibson Guitars back down
Kevin
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 05:36 PM

http://www.prsguitars.com/news/stori...5_victory.html

I knew it would be reversed.

Let the singlecuts commence.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I new it would be reversed.
I brand knew.

-t

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 05:42 PM

er I mean.. I don't know what you are talking about.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 05:56 PM

¡¡11¡¡ My Les Paul can beat up your PRS Singlecut !!11!!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2005, 06:02 PM

Yay! Stupid Gibson.

Now... ...if Ibanez remember that maple exists everything would be right with the World again.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
¡¡11¡¡ My Les Paul can beat up your PRS Singlecut !!11!!
I have a dual cut. I like them better.

And Doofy, Ibanez remember maple? Wha?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 06:21 PM

/mildly off topic

I just bought an LR Baggs PARA DI to replace my Radial Passive DI.

I love my Radial, but I need a signal boost (I'm using LR Baggs' iBeam Active in my Taylor) when I play with the full band. Zzounds beat the lowest price I could find, so I grabbed it.

I hope it's a good little DI. According to the reviews, it is, but I never put too much "weight" on the posts at Musician's Friend or Zzounds.

/back on topic
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2005, 06:21 PM

And Doofy, Ibanez remember maple? Wha?
Ibanez appear to have forgotten that fingerboards can be made out of maple. Which is unfortunate, as maple is my favourite material, Ibanez Wizards are my favourite profile and my 80's RGs are just about on their death bed. I don't fancy shelling out for custom anything but there's nothing off-the-shelf available to fit my shred-fu preferences.

But that tortoise shell McCarty on the PRS site sure looks sweet.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 06:24 PM

I'm a Rosewood kinda guy, myself -- but Ebony will do in a pinch.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Ibanez appear to have forgotten that fingerboards can be made out of maple. Which is unfortunate, as maple is my favourite material, Ibanez Wizards are my favourite profile and my 80's RGs are just about on their death bed. I don't fancy shelling out for custom anything but there's nothing off-the-shelf available to fit my shred-fu preferences.
Yes the wizard is nice. I don' even think the S series come with them anymore.
Wizard II junk.

I've owned several sabers with them, a 560 with one, and a black 550 with a maple neck.
But that tortoise shell McCarty on the PRS site sure looks sweet.
You'd probably like a PRS custom 24 with the Wide Thin neck.

More like a Ibanez.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 06:28 PM

I'm a Rosewood kinda guy, myself -- but Ebony will do in a pinch.
I'd love to have a PRS custom with a ebony board and bird inlays.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2005, 06:40 PM

Yes the wizard is nice. I don' even think the S series come with them anymore.
Wizard II junk.

I've owned several sabers with them, a 560 with one, and a black 550 with a maple neck.
Yep. Running a couple of slightly modified 550s here - fire alarm red and desert yellow 'coz I'm an 80's throwback.

You'd probably like a PRS custom 24 with the Wide Thin neck.

More like a Ibanez.
The PRS aspirations are gonna be drooling-on for when I've replaced the workhorses (but yes, I've got my eye on a Custom 24 wide/thin too). Next up, Warmoth bits and do it myself I reckon.

Anyways... ...back to the subject. Glad the court threw it out - what were Gibson gonna do next if they won? Have the double-cut models wasted because they look a bit like Les Paul double-cuts?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 06:44 PM

Yep. Running a couple of slightly modified 550s here - fire alarm red and desert yellow 'coz I'm an 80's throwback.
I'd love to have a late 90s model 550 with the sculpted heel. Those where nice guitars.
The PRS aspirations are gonna be drooling-on for when I've replaced the workhorses (but yes, I've got my eye on a Custom 24 wide/thin too). Next up, Warmoth bits and do it myself I reckon.
They are nice guitars. A bit "sweeter" sounding than Ibanez. I like both brands IMHO.
Anyways... ...back to the subject. Glad the court threw it out - what were Gibson gonna do next if they won? Have the double-cut models wasted because they look a bit like Les Paul double-cuts?
I am sure they would try.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 05:56 AM

That Gibson even won in the lower court was astounding. They do make great guitars though. I recently sold my Les Paul and have had regrets ever since. The band I was in had baptised her the "Chicks-Dig-Me" guitar and she was beautiful. Promised the gf that I'd trim my guitar collection though.

I didn't realise there were so many guitar players on MacNN. What you guys got? As I said, my collection has been trimmed. I'm down to 5. But I plan on getting rid of some more. Two Hofner Nylon string classicals (one short scale and a standard), a Washburn Festival Series Acoustic Electric, Line 6 Variax (my latest acquisition) and the love of my life, a Taylor 414CE Limited. The Taylor gets about 80% of my guitar time. Variax gets most of the rest and I leave the Washburn in DADGAD for those moody days. Haven't played the nylons in months.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Promised the gf that I'd trim my guitar collection though.
No no no no no no no!
Now if you'd said "I promised the guitar I'd trim the girlfriend collection"...

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2005, 06:53 AM

That Gibson even won in the lower court was astounding.
I thought so as well.
They do make great guitars though. I recently sold my Les Paul and have had regrets ever since.
Dont ya hate that? I love LesPauls, but the necks and body are just too heavy for me. That is why I got the PRS.
I didn't realise there were so many guitar players on MacNN. What you guys got?

A acoustic is about to be added to that collection.
As I said, my collection has been trimmed. I'm down to 5. But I plan on getting rid of some more. Two Hofner Nylon string classicals (one short scale and a standard), a Washburn Festival Series Acoustic Electric, Line 6 Variax (my latest acquisition) and the love of my life, a Taylor 414CE Limited. The Taylor gets about 80% of my guitar time. Variax gets most of the rest and I leave the Washburn in DADGAD for those moody days. Haven't played the nylons in months.
You sold the ONLY electric guitar you had. ?

We are in opposite boats.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 07:02 AM

Taylor K-14c acoustic (my baby)
88 Gibson Les Paul
95 Epiphone Archtop Hollowbody (like the 335)
Michael Kelly FS Solid mandolin
Late 80s Peavey Fury bass (highly upgraded -- it's like a Frankenstein monster)
Fender 12-string acoustic
Martin D1 acoustic

Maury

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 07:11 AM

I don't mind the Les Paul's neck so much but the thing was really heavy. Uncomfortably so. I have had my eye on a PRS for years, although my guitar budget would probably steer me towards a Santana model at this stage.
You sold the ONLY electric guitar you had. ?
Nope, the Variax is the Electric model! I've had two Strats - a 1965 model I got in the late 70's that I think may still be in my grandfathers garage awaiting repair after the neck snapped. The other Mexican I had died after it fell off the stage. Wasn't worth the repair. The Variax sounds just like the real thing to me though. In fact, I plugged the Variax into one channel on my amp and the real deal Les Paul on the other and the Variax sounded better - because it has noise cancellation in the guitar. The tone was identical though. A friend of mine who is a great guitarist couldn't hear the difference when I made him close his eyes and listen. Only thing is the neck is not that great and the finishing is a little ... how shall I say ... it's not Made in America! Should've gone for the 700 model I think.

I was once a big electric player but I've gone back to acoustics now. The Taylor has a neck and action like an electric but I just find the experience of playing an acoustic so much more engaging now.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 07:14 AM

Hee hee. I just noticed that the pedals are all FACING the amp ... and it's a JCM 900!

Here you go.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 07:17 AM

Taylor K-14c acoustic (my baby)
Drool!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 07:38 AM

Small, functional collection:

2 x '89 Ibanez 550, modified.
'89 Ovation Pinnacle (single hole, cutaway, shallow-bowl).

Running the electrics through a Vox Tonelab SE then straight into the desk (does me because I never do live stuff).
Loop on the Vox runs into a Boss MT2 via two EQs (which shall remain nameless because they're the best EQ on the planet, no longer made, getting quite rare, I need some more of them and don't want you guys snapping them up ).

I can no longer use Marshalls (had a couple of JCM800s) because I have a compulsive urge to turn them up all the way, which leads to getting visits from the police.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2005, 08:14 AM

Hee hee. I just noticed that the pedals are all FACING the amp ... and it's a JCM 900!

Here you go.
Heh, It's a 50watter, that I have set on 25watts in the house. And I still only set it to 5 most of the time.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2005, 08:15 AM

I don't mind the Les Paul's neck so much but the thing was really heavy. Uncomfortably so. I have had my eye on a PRS for years, although my guitar budget would probably steer me towards a Santana model at this stage.
I found mine in the local bulliten board rag used, for $600.

I usually buy my guitars used.

Had PRS CE before this one.

Been a PRS player for over a decade.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

Drool!
Yeah, no one is allowed to touch that guitar (my Taylor K-14c) -- not even my wife, who also plays.

I added an LR Baggs iBeam active to it, and it sounds spectacular. Definitely the best acoustic I've played, and I've played hundreds. It took me five hours to pick out this one, even though I played it in hour 2 -- but trying to be diplomatic, I played others.

The K-14 spanked them all.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 09:25 AM

I've been playing my Les Paul for 15 years, and you eventually gets used to the weight. We ran around, jumped around, acted like idiots, and all that. But yes, after doing a 2-hour concert, my left shoulder was red and swollen -- but it was worth it.

Maury

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 10:09 AM

I've been playing my Les Paul for 15 years, and you eventually gets used to the weight. We ran around, jumped around, acted like idiots, and all that. But yes, after doing a 2-hour concert, my left shoulder was red and swollen -- but it was worth it.

Maury
I loved that guitar. Every now and then, I scan eBay to see if it's appeared again. I did get used to the weight and it wasn't a major problem. I found I'd get a sore neck on the left side as well as a sore shoulder, but it definitely was worth it. I love the tone of a LP.

I use the Variax for live gigs now because of its versatility and just couldn't justify having another axe lying around. Still, if I can find a deal on a PRS like Kevin got, I'll make room!!

The K14 is the best sounding acoustic I've heard ever. I'm quite happy with the Expression System in mine but a lot of mates of mine have gone with the iBeam and swear by it. Beautiful guitar, Maury. Enjoy it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 10:25 AM

I'm a push over for Koa, which is why my next major (major meaning $2000+ on a guitar) will be the Koa Taylor T5:

Maury

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2005, 07:45 PM

Niiicee..

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 04:01 AM

I'm a push over for Koa, which is why my next major (major meaning $2000+ on a guitar) will be the Koa Taylor T5:
I think Taylor is better at Koa guitars than other manufacturers. Maybe it's because Taylors are naturally brighter sounding than other guitars. I tried a Martin D42K2 and I didn't think it sounded nearly as good as the K14. I'm not convinced that there's that big a difference in sound between the Maple T5 and the Koa T5. There's a difference but because it's an electric guitar, it makes less of a difference than on an acoustic. Still, I'm with you on the looks. Koa is gorgeous.

I looked into getting the agency on these guitars from back home! As kids in Zululand, we used to make guitars like this. Some entrepreneurial guy decided to take the concept and develop it. These have a high tech neck/bridge system such that the can actually provides no structural strength. They sound surprisingly good. Work commitments got in the way so I never took up the agency, but I see a bunch of the big name artists are using them now. If you're looking for something unique...
www.africanguitarsusa.com
www.africanguitars.co.uk

Railroader
Banned
Sep 14, 2005, 05:39 AM

A Ibanez acoustic and a cheap Gibson electric POS.

For the price, I am amazed at how well the Ibanez sounds. Better than Matrin's at three times the cost.

The wife and I share our guitars. When she plays them it actually sounds like music. I'm a 4-chord-song kinda guy.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2005, 07:07 AM

What.. no 32nd notes or sweeping arpeggios Rail?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I'm a 4-chord-song kinda guy.
4??? I thought there were only 3 chords - E, A and D.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 14, 2005, 07:57 AM

4??? I thought there were only 3 chords - E, A and D.
hmmm... I thought they were G C D and E.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2005, 08:30 AM

I think you'll find that one can write perfectly formed songs using only an Am. Anything else and you're just showing off.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 14, 2005, 09:19 AM

I think you'll find that one can write perfectly formed songs using only an Am. Anything else and you're just showing off.
You might be right.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 10:51 AM

Les Paul Classic 57 Reissue
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Roadstar II (my first, bought in 1986)
Some crappy no-name acoustic

Only play the 57 on stage and keep the Studio ready and tuned in case I break a string.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2005, 06:26 PM

Post some pics saddino.

BTW, I guess this would be the best place of any to post this awesome clip I found.

http://www.6767.com/mp3/iris.mp3

I've already learned it.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 10:28 PM

I didn't realise there were so many guitar players on MacNN.
are you kidding me? everyone and their mother plays guitar. only call me if you got a drum kit...

What you guys got?
i had a '79 gibson sg and marshall jcm800 combo amp (50w). also had cry baby wah and boss digital delay pedals. that was my rig bitd, sold it all in '99 (along with six of my seven cameras) to raise cash for school tuition.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

I just use whatever Brian May (of Queen) uses.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Les Paul Classic 57 Reissue
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Roadstar II (my first, bought in 1986)
Some crappy no-name acoustic

Only play the 57 on stage and keep the Studio ready and tuned in case I break a string.
I had the original Roadstar II, all black, chrome Floyd Rose trem...sweet guitar. Did the '86 Roadstar still have the name written in a kind of script rather than all "rocker" looking?

Maury

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by zizban
I just use whatever Brian May (of Queen) uses.
You don't know what it is, but you use it ?

Sure buddy.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2005, 01:37 PM

zizban, do you roll your own?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 15, 2005, 02:45 PM

Oh, there are copies of his guitar out there. Guild made them for awhile.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2005, 03:53 PM

I had the original Roadstar II, all black, chrome Floyd Rose trem...sweet guitar. Did the '86 Roadstar still have the name written in a kind of script rather than all "rocker" looking?
Dunno about the Roadstar, but in about '86 Ibanez were moving onto the "proline" type headstocks - which were IIRC pretty much identical to the current headstocks. I had a lovely proline sharkfin V about then, sold it for beer (and wish I hadn't).

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2005, 05:06 PM

Maury
Yup. I really like that look.

Mine was a triple single coil with a cheap ass Strat-ripoff trem (impossible to use w/o going out of tune). it was a cheap guitar ($250) so didn't come with the niceties. But it's the guitar I learned to play on, and the one I played in my first band -- so it's a keeper.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2005, 05:32 PM

Post some pics saddino.

Click for really big picture (282k)

The stickers, etching and general crap about the Ibanez occurred during various drunk gigs in college.

The black crap over the Studio's pickups is my blood. Cut a finger against my strings during a rowdy gig, continued to bleed all over the pickups and pick guard until the end of the show. This was about 10 years ago and I still can't get that crap off. Kinda cool though, I guess.

The Classic has a couple of blemishes (switch cap missing, minor cracks in plastic) due to wear and tear on the road.

My band is on hiatus, so I should probably take some time to clean these babies up.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Yup. I really like that look.

Mine was a triple single coil with a cheap ass Strat-ripoff trem (impossible to use w/o going out of tune). it was a cheap guitar ($250) so didn't come with the niceties. But it's the guitar I learned to play on, and the one I played in my first band -- so it's a keeper.
Yeah, that was my headstock. I had the anniversary release, so mine was all hopped-up with the good hardware, rosewood fingerboard, and all that.

Small world!

I need to take some more pics of my guitars and post them...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2005, 05:55 PM

You should. I have a picture of my guitar. Its a korean made LP knockoff, but I like it. Ebony fretboard.

I couldn't get a nice enough picture of it, so I processed it in photoshop.

I also want to get a tele.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2005, 06:14 PM

Okay, here are the guitars I have sitting out in my office right now (my 12-string Fender acoustic is "in storage," my sister has my Martin acoustic, and my wife's Les Paul Studio doesn't count as a guitar in my book (no offense LPS players))...

My Taylor K-14C:

My 88 Gibson Les Paul Standard:

My 96-ish Gibson Epiphone Archtop:

My 80-somthing Peavey Fury bass (hopped-up with active pickups, etc):

My Michael Kelley FS Solid Mandolin:

Maury

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Sep 15, 2005, 06:20 PM

Love both of the LesPauls

I need to get another pic of my guitar since I polished it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules