Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > INTRODUCING: President Rudy Giuliani...YEAH!

INTRODUCING: President Rudy Giuliani...YEAH!
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 07:10 PM

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 07:25 PM

Yeah, good luck getting him through the Republican primary.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2005, 07:43 PM

He'll be running against sitting President Pelosi after the impending resignations.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 07:45 PM

Rudy will be a fantastic President of the United States. ... as would Condi Rice..

Looking forward the primary season!

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Oct 2, 2005, 07:47 PM

Rudy vs Hitlery(if she runs).

What a tough battle.
Especially in New York.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2005, 08:10 PM

Yum. I love the smell of toasted Democrat in the morning.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 08:53 PM

Rudy is too moderate for the Republican Party now. He should run as independant.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
Yeah, good luck getting him through the Republican primary.
The only way Rudy will win the primary is if the religious conservative wing of the party forgets to show up because of the Rapture or something.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2005, 09:17 PM

Rudy is far too liberal.

Make way for Newt Gingrich - the moderate.

(hey, if Hillary can claim to be a moderate...)

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 09:29 PM

Rudy will win.

No doubt about it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Rudy will win.

No doubt about it.
Would the Republicans ever nominate a pro-choice Presidential candidate? I think not.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by zizban
Rudy is too moderate for the Republican Party now. He should run as independant.
Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Rudy is far too liberal.

Make way for Newt Gingrich - the moderate.

(hey, if Hillary can claim to be a moderate...)
They are correct. A Northern Republican is way too liberal for those who dominate the Republican party today. He would get crushed if he tried to run and didn't come out with some deranged mea culpa renouncing his previous stance in favor of abortion.

Although I like the idea of a Condi/Rudy ticket. That might get some traction in the polls. And think of the advertising possibilities. They got the whole "ebony and ivory" thing going on not too mention both the racial angle and the immigrant angle. And to top it all off, the first female President angle. It would at least make for some interest primaries before Newt Gingrich gets crowned . . . oops . . . I mean selected as the Republican presidential candidate in 2008. (I think you're right on this one, Spliffdaddy.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 09:59 PM

Newt vs. Hillary.

umm.....

Would I have to pick either of those two? Could I write in John McCain (or even Mike Piazza)?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 10:12 PM

Newt won't run.

Too many skeletons in the closet. Eye of the Newt. That sort of thing.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 11:13 PM

Trust me, having grown up and lived in new York, Rudy Guliani was nothing like this post 9/11 image he has. People were wondering if hadn't gone insane there at the end. And he hardly would fit in with a Neo-Republican family values ticket.

I would honestly love it if he were on the Republican ticket, but I really, really doubt they would, once they took a closer look at his last year or two as Mayor. I mean we would get all the old good stuff again, the Brooklyn Museum thing, the fights with Bratton and other underlings, the whole Donna Hanover public breakdown, seperation, and Andrew. Can we ever forget young Andrew?

There was lots of funs tuff there, it would be fun to relive it all.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 11:16 PM

He won't even get close to the nomination. He's a one-trick pony, with skeletons in his closet.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 12:32 AM

Of the names mentioned, I like Newt the best. He skilled in building coalitions and consensus, and he has an excellent grasp of both domestic and foreign policy. He's also led in good capacity.

Both Rudy and Condi have some blanks on their resumes, but they could potentially fill in each other's gaps as a team. But I think it would be Guiliani at the top of such a ticket.

Dick Cheney would be a solid candidate, though his heart history would undoubtedly steer more attention than usual towards the VP candidate. The guy knows his stuff... probably more than anyone else who would enter the race on either side of the aisle. I think Cheney would also serve much differently than GWB. I think he'd be much more proactive in promoting and explaining his policies to the American public, and he'd be more apt to take the press corps head-on with regards to current issues.

And there's always Jeb Bush. Heck, the Bush haters could probably save a lot of money in the placard department, providing the "Bush Lies" and "Bush=Hitler" signage is well preserved.

Cheney-Gingrich would be my choice today, though I think a Cheney-Rice ticket would be a better bet in a general election. Gingrich-Rice might also work. It seems as if Cheney is disinterested, but I think he could be persuaded. And he is always willing to serve the nation.

Rudy loses out in my workups. Perhaps he can get into the fold after a term or two serving in a top cabinet position.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Oct 3, 2005 at 12:42 AM. )

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 3, 2005, 12:46 AM

I think all presidents should wear capes and tophats to improve morale.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 08:14 AM

Giuliani is one of the few Republicans with a chance of beating Hillary right now; McCain and Rice are the two others. However, of the three, only Rice has any chance of winning the primaries, and even that is iffy at best. If she won the primaries she'd beat Hillary by a close but decisive margin. As for Gingrich? Hillary wouldn't just beat Gingrich; she'd humiliate Gingrich.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 09:08 AM

Don't count McCain out just yet. Right now, there seem to be fissures developing in the Republican party between the Fiscal Conservatives and the Religious Conservatives. Thay've really been there all along, but covered up -- Bush was elected by the religious conservatives; the fiscal conservatives simply preferred him over the other choices. (This was especially the case in the last election, after Bush's free-spending ways were made known.)

But the main focus for the religious conservatives has been the Supreme Court, and Bush has now had his chance to shift it to the right, so they might be more likely to compromise next time (as long as their candidate is not pro-choice like Rudy). Plus, he's spending money like there's no tomorrow, and fiscal conservatives will be less likely next time to simply "go along" with another Republican nominee who will never veto a spending bill.

If the Republicans know what's good for them, they'll lock their religious wing in Bible Study class for the Primary season and elect someone who will be more forceful in reducing spending (and in not cutting taxes more until spending is better under control). Right now, that person is John McCain, although someone else might pop up. If the choice is between McCain and Hillary, I think I'd vote for McCain, and I know I'm not the only left-leaning person who feels that way....

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 09:16 AM

Rudy isn't that well known outside of NYC. Also he's far too liberal for many conservatives. If he ran as an independent or for senator he'd kick Hillary's behind back to Arkansas. Running for president is a whole different ballgame.

I would love to see Condi Rice run. I wonder what the Democrats and the so called black leaders have to say when one of their own is running for president. Would they get behind her since they've wanted a black president? Would the women get behind Rice? IT would be an interesting thing to see.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
Rudy isn't that well known outside of NYC. Also he's far too liberal for many conservatives. If he ran as an independent or for senator he'd kick Hillary's behind back to Arkansas. Running for president is a whole different ballgame.

I would love to see Condi Rice run. I wonder what the Democrats and the so called black leaders have to say when one of their own is running for president. Would they get behind her since they've wanted a black president? Would the women get behind Rice? IT would be an interesting thing to see.
Rudy would make a horrible senator. Simply put, he doesn't play well with others. He is at his best when he is the top dog, not one vote in 100.

I came to the conclusion a few years ago that the first minority President will be a Republican, because they are the color-blind party right now. They don't care what color you are, as long as you have the right business connections. Condi Rice has an oil tanker named after her. She would be perfect for the job, but she doesn't want it!

I've also determined that all the people who would make good presidents wouldn't go near the job with a 10-ft pole, and all we have left are jackasses who only want the power of the presidency.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dork.
If the Republicans know what's good for them, they'll lock their religious wing in Bible Study class for the Primary season and elect someone who will be more forceful in reducing spending (and in not cutting taxes more until spending is better under control). Right now, that person is John McCain, although someone else might pop up. If the choice is between McCain and Hillary, I think I'd vote for McCain, and I know I'm not the only left-leaning person who feels that way....
I'm another "Leftie" who would love to see John McCain get elected. He's scrappy and isn't going to place nice when it comes to the budget. Heck, in 2000 and 2004 I used up my one vote in the VA Republican primary to vote for him--In VA you can vote in the primary elections, but only once.

Anyway, I would like to see him win. But he doesn't tow the party line and the powers behind the party (financial as well as religios) won't like that. They want their candidate to always read from their script.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
The Onward Christian Soldiers crowd would never allow it.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dork.
I've also determined that all the people who would make good presidents wouldn't go near the job with a 10-ft pole, and all we have left are jackasses who only want the power of the presidency.
Right on
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
I'm another "Leftie" who would love to see John McCain get elected. He's scrappy and isn't going to place nice when it comes to the budget. Heck, in 2000 and 2004 I used up my one vote in the VA Republican primary to vote for him--In VA you can vote in the primary elections, but only once.

Anyway, I would like to see him win. But he doesn't tow the party line and the powers behind the party (financial as well as religios) won't like that. They want their candidate to always read from their script.
Chalk up another McCain vote from the left for me. Maybe he ought to switch parties.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by RIRedinPA
Chalk up another McCain vote from the left for me. Maybe he ought to switch parties.
Nahh, his core values have always been fiscal conservativism and that is/was one of the hallmarks of the Republican party. Only in the past decade or so have the fringe social conservatives been able to take over and put their message front and center. So, instead of President McCain railing against the Democrats for their profligate spending we have President Bush railing against anybody who doesn't hate homosexuals.
(Yes I know that is a gross exaggeration but I am trying to make a point about
the change in political emphasis that has occurred within the Republican Party.)

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Nahh, his core values have always been fiscal conservativism and that is/was one of the hallmarks of the Republican party. Only in the past decade or so have the fringe social conservatives been able to take over and put their message front and center. So, instead of President McCain railing against the Democrats for their profligate spending we have President Bush railing against anybody who doesn't hate homosexuals.
(Yes I know that is a gross exaggeration but I am trying to make a point about
the change in political emphasis that has occurred within the Republican Party.)
The take over of the Republican Party started a long time ago with Ralph Reed and his Christian Coalition back in the late eighties/nineties. I said this during the 04 election, it surprises me that so many working folks have flocked to Bush considering that he has made great efforts to repeal the very frameworks within government emplaced to protect them.

But all things change. Back in FDR's day the Dems were the party of the evangelicals. It is odd when you have Democrats calling for fiscal responsibility and Bush spending money like a drunken sailor (or Kennedy).

Maybe if Warner runs some of those Blue Dog Dems in the South will come back to the party.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
Condoleeza Rice isn't black anymore. She was traded to the white community for O.J. simpson.

Didn't you see the racial draft?!

And you people call this the political forum.

I'm Rick James, b*tch!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 01:38 PM

Pfftt, I like him, but he's too liberal for me. How about Bill Frist?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by spauldingg
He'll be running against sitting President Pelosi after the impending resignations.
I had a vivid dream 2-3 weeks ago that Bush had to step down because it was discovered he had done something "despicable", besides the obvious/usual.

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 01:51 PM

I agree Giluani is too moderate for the Republican and he has too many skeleton in his closet; being unfaithful is a big one to pass through the Republicans.

And Ginrich has the same problems; people seem to forget that he resign as speaker of the house and that he lost an election. And now we are speaking about the entire country.

Get used to the idea Hillary Clinton will be the next President.

Wow a woman President the Conservatives are going crazy, a woman that can think for herself and is a great leader.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Pfftt, I like him, but he's too liberal for me. How about Bill Frist?
I wouldn't trust that guy any further than I can throw him.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Wow a woman Clinton President, the Conservatives are going crazy, a woman that can think for herself and is a great leader.
fixed

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I wouldn't trust that guy any further than I can throw him.
Because he's a Cardiologist and not a political lifer?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 03:12 PM

Wow a woman President the Conservatives are going crazy, a woman that can think for herself and is a great leader.
Wake up. Republicans don't have a problem with a female candidate, they just have issues with Hillary. Quit spreading FUD.
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 03:16 PM

Get used to the idea Hillary Clinton will be the next President.

You really need to get a grip on reality.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 03:51 PM

Because he's a Cardiologist and not a political lifer?
Something about his mannerisms. Wasn't he the one who claimed, as a doctor, that Schiavo was very much alive, but then retracted later?

(I respect his profession, and quite honestly would rather see him still taking care off people than in politics. Then again, anyone who has a useful profession is being wasted in politics. Must explain the high lawyer count.)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 04:13 PM

This seems like an appropriate time for a picture break.

I doubt there's a Republican out there who wouldn't vote for another one of her.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
This seems like an appropriate time for a picture break.

I doubt there's a Republican out there who wouldn't vote for another one of her.
Or her:

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Trust me, having grown up and lived in new York, Rudy Guliani was nothing like this post 9/11 image he has. People were wondering if hadn't gone insane there at the end. And he hardly would fit in with a Neo-Republican family values ticket.
Right you are. There are soooo many skeletons in Rudy's closet.
Remember the brief attempt to appoint his former police commissioner Bernie Kerik as head of Homeland Security? Folks in NYC were rolling in the aisles over that bone-headed move.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 3, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Yum. I love the smell of toasted Democrat in the morning.
With a little bit of limey juice makes a goood breakfast.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 3, 2005, 08:39 PM

Wake up. Republicans don't have a problem with a female candidate, they just have issues with Hillary. Quit spreading FUD.
You have issues period!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
You have issues period!
Why, because I mentioned that Republicans are fine with female politicians? Oh, that's right, Democrats had the first female Sec. of State, didn't they?

- Thomas Paine

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 03:39 PM

Giuliani/Rice would be something special.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 03:41 PM

Why, because I mentioned that Republicans are fine with female politicians? Oh, that's right, Democrats had the first female Sec. of State, didn't they?

Actually, yes, they did.

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 03:46 PM

Her name is Madeline Albright and she is the American envoy to the United Nations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules