Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Serenity!!!

Serenity!!!
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 05:42 PM

Best movie EVAR!

Has anyone seen it yet? I want someone to talk to about it. I can't believe there's not a thread here about it already (did I miss it?)

If you haven't seen it, go see it now and then tell us what you think. Right now! Go!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 06:07 PM

Serenity! Now!

(insanity later....)

Anyway, I saw it, and I thought it was a good movie. It had a solid storyline behind it, it had a lot to offer to both Firefly fans and non-fans alike. (We were turned on to the series like many people were, on DVD in the past year). It certainly wasn't the BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!1!1!one!, but it was genuinely entertaining, much better than the standard poop that Hollywood is pinching off these days, and I'll line up to see the next thing Mr. Whedon makes, small screen or big.

Some of the dialogue was rather silly, but it was miles beyond what some sci-fi films this year have produced. (Yes, Mr. Lucas, I'm talking to you!)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

I really didn't like the TV show much, but the reviews for the movie are very positive:

Metacritic: 74%
Rotten Tomatoes: 80%

Serenity Hi-Def H.264 trailer
Extended Serenity 480p trailer

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

Aww crap, I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING TO DO SOMETHING THIS WEEKEND! Crap!

Mayhap I'll call-in sick tomorrow and go to the show...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Serenity! Now!

(insanity later....)

Anyway, I saw it, and I thought it was a good movie. It had a solid storyline behind it, it had a lot to offer to both Firefly fans and non-fans alike. (We were turned on to the series like many people were, on DVD in the past year). It certainly wasn't the BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!1!1!one!, but it was genuinely entertaining, much better than the standard poop that Hollywood is pinching off these days, and I'll line up to see the next thing Mr. Whedon makes, small screen or big.

Some of the dialogue was rather silly, but it was miles beyond what some sci-fi films this year have produced. (Yes, Mr. Lucas, I'm talking to you!)
Ditto. It's a solid, entertaining movie with several geek-worthy money shots.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 07:15 PM

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 07:41 PM

Everyone that has seen it says that they've at least liked it.

I may go see it later today, if not, next weekend.

andi*pandi
Oct 2, 2005, 09:48 PM

I saw it for the second time yesterday, it certainly held up on second viewing (completed special effects were all you could imagine. The last half is solid edge of your seat stuff, and there were lots of laughs as well.

:thumbsup

And those who don't know what we're talking about... click my sig.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 3, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
SERENITY NOW!

*snip* Frank *snip*

http://www.stanthecaddy.com/the-sere...ow-script.html

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 08:21 AM

Curse my lcuk being in japan, without internet, and without this MOVIE!

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 08:50 AM

It was fantastic!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 09:18 AM

Saw it yesterday, totally dug it. Took a friend who's never seen an episode, and he mostly figured out what was going on.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
being in japan, without internet
what

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 10:25 AM

I saw it last night and it was all right. Not "the greatest movie evar!" by any means, but still entertaining. People may have built it up a bit too much for me, though.

Originally Posted by chris v
what
Telepathy is a good thing

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 10:47 AM

Judging from the trailer I would say the movie sucks. Just senseless violence portrayed as "cool". Maybe this appeals to Americans, but I'm not going to watch such stuff.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Judging from the trailer I would say the movie sucks. Just senseless violence portrayed as "cool". Maybe this appeals to Americans, but I'm not going to watch such stuff.
That's the thing. There isn't all that much violence in the movie, at least as compared with the stuff that passes for entertainment now, and the violence that is there is definitely not senseless, it exists to move the plot along. Then again I did watch the series, and understood more of the underlying context of what was going on, so YMMV. There are a few impossible fights and a badass with a sword, but the movie does have more to offer than that. The trailer was put together to try to sell the movie to Americans who, all things considered, would rather watch Vin Diesel movies. (Doom, anyone?)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 10:56 AM

Good movie.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2005, 12:15 PM

I think senseless but stylized violence in movies is great. And I'm not even American.

And my impression from the reviews is that there isn't much senseless violence in Serenity anyway.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 12:33 PM

The trailer was put together to try to sell the movie to Americans who, all things considered, would rather watch Vin Diesel movies. (Doom, anyone?)
the rock ≠ vin diesel

-r.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
the rock ≠ vin diesel

-r.
Really? They all look the same to me.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 12:45 PM

Judging from the trailer I would say the movie sucks.
There's a cliche in there somewhere: something about ascertaining the worth of a treatise solely by its outer appearance.

Just senseless violence portrayed as "cool". Maybe this appeals to Americans...
There's a fallacy of logic in there somewhere: something about quickly applying a single characteristic to a broad group; thus, concluding that all in the group have that characteristic. I can aid in making this a little less false by knee-capping the ticket taker with a newly purchased 9MM and demanding a refund if the body count in the film isn't in excess of 50,000.

...but I'm not going to watch such stuff.
Go on with your bad self.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2005, 12:56 PM

Really? They all look the same to me.
Then you must have eye problems or something.

I don't like either of them much either, but they really don't look much alike (unless you think everyone with short hair and muscles looks alike).

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 09:51 PM

I just got back from a showing and I liked it a lot. I'm a relatively new Firefly fan as I just watching all the episodes last week. I also got my uncle hooked on the show...he's watching them on the SciFi channel.

Voch

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
what
Not having high speed net access at home as to enable me to download media to watch and hear things from America and Europe.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 11:03 PM

Just watched it with Eug.

Overall... a whole lot of nothing or Meh. Take your pick.

Wasn't bad, just not terribly exciting in away. I like the captain and the badguy but the rest of the cast made me cringe.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I really didn't like the TV show much, but the reviews for the movie are very positive:

Metacritic: 74%
Rotten Tomatoes: 80%

Serenity Hi-Def H.264 trailer
Extended Serenity 480p trailer
Eug's review:

Watchable, but not really recommended.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 5, 2005 at 11:28 PM. )

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Just watched it with Eug.

Overall... a whole lot of nothing or Meh. Take your pick.

Wasn't bad, just not terribly exciting in away. I like the captain and the badguy but the rest of the cast made me cringe.
You're a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise, ain't ya?

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
You're a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise, ain't ya?
Actually I thought it ruined Star Trek.

I am a DS9 and BSG fan.

Nothing I saw in Serenity made itself stand out from any other Sci-fi movie. Just a mix of been there done that.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2005, 07:52 AM

I don't think they were going for rethinking the whole genre... sure there were themes that have been done before, but they were done well with good characters. What about the last 45 minutes, were you not on the edge of your seat?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 08:11 AM

Wasn't bad, just not terribly exciting in away. I like the captain and the badguy but the rest of the cast made me cringe....
Nothing I saw in Serenity made itself stand out from any other Sci-fi movie. Just a mix of been there done that.
There are an awful lot of recycled plot elements in Serenity, just like there was in Firefly. But I liked how they were put together, they resulted in something bigger than each element individually. (Besides, what Sci-fi show nowadays doesn't recycle plot elements? If you say "Battlestar Galactica", I'll hit you over the head with an 8-track player. )

I never really got into Buffy, either, while I knew people who raved about that show just as much as the Firefly fans. Buffy was just too "ooky" for me. There's a bit of "ook" in Serenity, as well (mostly in the supporting cast, as you've noticed). If you get turned off by that, I can see why you wouldn't think much of the movie. I'm hoping Mr. Whedon reduces the "ook" factor in future efforts.

(as for what "ook" means -- if you've seen the shows, you'll know....)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
What about the last 45 minutes, were you not on the edge of your seat?
No.

I mean it wasn't bad, but somehow I was expecting more, given the hype.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2005, 09:59 AM

"Serenity" was the best compromise I've ever seen in an action oriented movie. No, it's not an action oriented movie, it's actually pretty cerebral. But it had action and a good story. And the story did not require any knowledge of the series-without any clunky devices like extended flashbacks and so on.

It played to fans of "Firefly" by using the original cast, and I thought they did very well. It played to action movie viewers by being very powerful in the action sequences. Its story was very well developed, with multiple layers of story and some really good puzzlers about what was going to happen next. And overall it was a good movie. An internally consistent story with good characters and good acting, supported by excellent backgrounds and effects that put the viewer in that place makes for a good movie. You don't have to be a rabid fan to enjoy a good movie, and if a film requires more of the audience than their attention, then it's not a good movie. I don't think "Serenity" failed to hold anyone's attention, even if it didn't make them effuse about how "most wonderful evar!" it was.

Besides, arguing about whether it was a "great movie" or not isn't very useful. It's kind of like discussing whether or not any of the "Star Wars" movies was a "great movie." Either it's something that excites you, or it isn't.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
"Serenity" was the best compromise I've ever seen in an action oriented movie. No, it's not an action oriented movie, it's actually pretty cerebral. But it had action and a good story. And the story did not require any knowledge of the series-without any clunky devices like extended flashbacks and so on.

It played to fans of "Firefly" by using the original cast, and I thought they did very well. It played to action movie viewers by being very powerful in the action sequences. Its story was very well developed, with multiple layers of story and some really good puzzlers about what was going to happen next. And overall it was a good movie. An internally consistent story with good characters and good acting, supported by excellent backgrounds and effects that put the viewer in that place makes for a good movie. You don't have to be a rabid fan to enjoy a good movie, and if a film requires more of the audience than their attention, then it's not a good movie. I don't think "Serenity" failed to hold anyone's attention, even if it didn't make them effuse about how "most wonderful evar!" it was.
I guess we differ in our opinions. I thought the action was merely OK, and the plot was fairly simple albeit not that well explained at times. I also thought the acting was fairly good by a couple of the characters, but quite mediocre by others.

In essense, for someone debating to see this movie or not, I'd say it's definitely a renter, but I'm not sure it's worth a $30 night out with your bud at the theatre.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2005, 10:21 AM

I guess we differ in our opinions. I thought the action was merely OK, and the plot was fairly simple albeit not that well explained at times. I also thought the acting was fairly good by a couple of the characters, but quite mediocre by others.

In essense, for someone debating to see this movie or not, I'd say it's definitely a renter, but I'm not sure it's worth a $30 night out with your bud at the theatre.
I skip about 95% of all movies that get released (and actually make it to a screen in San Antonio) because most of it is drivel. But "Serenity" made me think. It helps to have a fan or two with you-my son and wife have both seen all the episodes of "Firefly" and were excited about the movie as soon as it was announced. I don't think they influenced my appreciation of the movie, but they certainly did set high standards for it and they were well satisfied.

I'm also a long-time science fiction fan, and I demand a lot out of SF; it needs to make me THINK, and it needs to be about something worth paying attention to. I think Joss Whedon did an excellent job in both areas, and the cast of "Serenity" did a fine job bringing the story to life. It is indeed space opera, but that's not a put down. Space opera is a respectable sub-genre, and has its own rules and conventions. With an established framework like that of space opera, a story teller can weave a wonderful story, and I think that's what "Serenity" was.

Plus it was #2 at the box office, which ain't whistling Dixie, either.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 10:30 AM

The Firefly part may have something to do with it. I had seen some pieces of Firefly on TV, and I wasn't impressed. I stopped watching the series very quickly. The movie seemed like more of the same to me, albeit better executed.

BTW, I went with DHC3PO and my GF, and both of them felt the same way about the movie, but neither of them had any interest in the TV show either.

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
What about the last 45 minutes, were you not on the edge of your seat?
OMG no. I was actually excited that some of the annoying characters were close to death. Didn't care for the pilot so when he croaked I was happy. I was hoping that girl that had a crush on the doctor would exit.

Anyway, those Zombie people didn't do it for me. How can an entire civilization of flesh eating wackos like that get together and have such advanced ships and tactics? Can you ever see them organized enough to do anything? Man a staff meeting with a bunch of them would be hell

Honestly it felt like a 2 hour TV special, the story was nothing interesting. A 90 pound Christina Ricci look alike kicking the ass of a room full of guys is probably hot for the teenage boy variety but I saw better in the 5th Element.

Again it wasn't a BAD movie, I just didn't like much about it.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2005, 02:12 PM

No arguments, just some explanation. The Reavers aren't a "civilization" per se, they're whacko, completely wigged out freaks (not zombies, either) who all seem to agree on "hands off of each other." Notice that the ship went through the Reavers' space without incident because it was disguised as one of theirs and didn't bother them.

And Summer Glau is way better looking than Christina Ricci. I thought the issue of the little girl kicking serious ass was very interesting as it said something about what the Alliance had done to her-they turned a little girl into a serious weapon. Doesn't that say something about the morals of the Alliance? I thought it did.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 02:17 PM

Summer Glau seems to have a lock on quiet psycho characters with hidden knowledge. She plays the exact same character in The 4400.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 02:17 PM

It was good as far as movies go, but I'm a huge tv buff and I don't really like movies in general.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 02:19 PM

A 90 pound Christina Ricci look alike kicking the ass of a room full of guys is probably hot for the teenage boy variety but I saw better in the 5th Element.
Actually I agree with that. River was far more interesting as a medical and psychic mystery than as a warrior. And that schtick has indeed been done better in the past. Her fighting was about the only part in the movie where I did get bored. Although I could already tell from the trailers that Summer was more of a dancer than a fighter.

Don't know about other fans, but I think what I like most about Firefly/Serenity is that it's often just a peek at a world with more stories to tell (you know, like the real world), unlike most movies where there's one big idea and they beat you over the head with it at the beginning and then use it up throughout the rest of the movie. In a number of ways the movie had less of that than the series, but it still had enough of it to keep me engaged.

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 02:24 PM

The Reavers aren't a "civilization" per se, they're whacko, completely wigged out freaks (not zombies, either) who all seem to agree on "hands off of each other."
Well I know that. It's just they all seemed like a total bunch of savages that didn't even talk, they were just blood thirsty Zombies yet strangely organized when it came to space travel and attacks.

Not sure what the movie was trying to get across either. It is obvious that they were making SOME remark about Prozac with that Planet as "Pax 12" sounds like Paxil. Not sure anyone cares about that topic anymore as that is more of an 90's thing.

The one part that screamed George Lucas was the robbery getaway in the beginning. I mean why in the hell did they land 100k from the bank? They were travelling top speed on that scooter for miles PLUS the ship actually took off and flew over hills to reach them. Seemed like the whole thing was a good excuse for a chaise.

I also couldn't understand why that Black Bad guy waited 8 months before investigating the escape of that girl.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 02:29 PM

Not sure what the movie was trying to get across either. It is obvious that they were making SOME remark about Prozac with that Planet as "Pax 12" sounds like Paxil. Not sure anyone cares about that topic anymore as that is more of an 90's thing.
doubtful. more likely it was there for ironic effect... "pax" is latin for peace. (which is also where the drug got its name from.)

-r.

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
doubtful. more likely it was there for ironic effect... "pax" is latin for peace. (which is also where the drug got its name from.)

-r.
Either way they were talking about drugging the community to make them more docile (aka Prozac).

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2005, 04:05 PM

to my knowledge, they haven't started putting prozac in the drinking water. Although, I do feel the sudden urge to vote republican...

agreed with rj, that it is meant to imply peaceful. happy peaceful citizens.

c3po, if you'd seen the series you'd have seen that they have been hunting for her for a time, and only brought in this guy as a last resort when they realized state secrets were at large. One of the best eps of the series features a bounty hunter after River.

One of my flaws with the movie is agreed that the fight scenes with River were a bit too buffy-esque. And there are legions of folks who also wonder how the reavers manage to maintain their ships and plan attacks... yet I'm ok with buying into the theory that a) they don't maintain all that well (radiation) and b) they are pissed off at outsiders but don't mess with each other so much.

Yet, it was a heck of a ride!

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 04:24 PM

Either way they were talking about drugging the community to make them more docile (aka Prozac).
Prozac treats depression. If anything, depressed people are more docile before they go on Prozac. If you have a case for this one, it might be that Prozac is in danger of becoming a "lifestyle drug," like Viagra, one you take to try to improve normal life, not to treat a condition that otherwise makes you abnormal. But I still think the connection is a coincidence. Something like the fluoride they put in our water would have been a more apt insinuation.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 04:49 PM

No arguments, just some explanation. The Reavers aren't a "civilization" per se, they're whacko, completely wigged out freaks (not zombies, either) who all seem to agree on "hands off of each other." Notice that the ship went through the Reavers' space without incident because it was disguised as one of theirs and didn't bother them.

And Summer Glau is way better looking than Christina Ricci. I thought the issue of the little girl kicking serious ass was very interesting as it said something about what the Alliance had done to her-they turned a little girl into a serious weapon. Doesn't that say something about the morals of the Alliance? I thought it did.
I took both those aspects a little differently. I thought of the Reavers as psychopaths rather than animals with a truce amongst themselves. They are still capable of being fully functional humans as they were in the past, but their motivation is to use that only to advance their passion for inflicting misery. A corollary is that if they get off on torture even of themselves, torturing other Reavers doesn't appeal to Reavers since there's no victimization. So they can still work together in some ways, when there are no potential victims around.

As for the fighting, I thought it was just a somewhat poor substitute for all the weird amazing things she could do in the series (things that are too slow paced to fit in a feature film). As far as evil tampering goes, the Alliance could have done a lot worse than combat training. In hindsight it was a real missed opportunity to show what the Alliance's "best experiment so far" could produce.

Anyway, Christina Ricci was absolutely adorable...at age 11. Summer kind of looks like she's still 11.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 04:52 PM

Summer Glau seems to have a lock on quiet psycho characters with hidden knowledge. She plays the exact same character in The 4400.
I think that might just be the lack of imagination of the 4400's casting people. They totally re-used Joel Gretsch from Taken too.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 04:11 AM

Holy Free Movie, Batman!
They seem to be offering the first few scenes of the movie for free VOD, quite impressive:
http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_S...web/index.html

andi*pandi
Oct 7, 2005, 10:16 AM

man, the international artwork, although spoilery and sans spaceship, just is so much better.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 10:42 AM

Going to see it tomorrow. One thing I've noticed from the previews is the lack of shot of Kaylee or Book. Are they in the movie? While all the woman on the show are attractive, Kaylee just seems to catch my eye.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Forum Links
Forum Rules