Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT!

3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT! (Page 12)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 10:22 AM

I loved it in every aspect...especially the style(not just cell shaded...but character design, animation, etc). All very unique and VERY polished.

My only quibble would be as a first time Zelda player, it was rather difficult for me to understand what was going on and why, and thus i was someting oblivious as to what to do next and had to refer to walkthroughs.

I do plan on playing it again after i get done with OOT.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I loved it in every aspect...especially the style(not just cell shaded...but character design, animation, etc). All very unique and VERY polished.

My only quibble would be as a first time Zelda player, it was rather difficult for me to understand what was going on and why, and thus i was someting oblivious as to what to do next and had to refer to walkthroughs.

I do plan on playing it again after i get done with OOT.
Actually the one main negative comment is that people hated traveling the ocean. Personally I found it relaxing but they should have made larger islands.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 10:51 AM

I didn't like the ocean travel either. You would sail for 3 minutes just to get to a tiny island with some statue on it. What do I do on this island? Will I ever be able to find it again and/or remember what was here when I do figure out what I'm supposed to do?

Way to many small islands. There should have been 3 or 4 big islands to explore and not as much sailing. I didn't find it relaxing, I found it tedious.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
I didn't like the ocean travel either. You would sail for 3 minutes just to get to a tiny island with some statue on it. What do I do on this island? Will I ever be able to find it again and/or remember what was here when I do figure out what I'm supposed to do?

Way to many small islands. There should have been 3 or 4 big islands to explore and not as much sailing. I didn't find it relaxing, I found it tedious.
I found having to pull up the map and change the direction of the wind tedious but once I knew where I was going I really liked sailing.

Except for those damn sharks.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:13 PM

Once you had the Cyclone power you could just warp quickly around the map. I didn't mind the sailing, but I don't think I'll ever re-play the game because of it. I've played through OOT twice and Master Quest once (on the GC). I really enjoyed Wind Waker.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
I loved all the Zelda's except Majora as I found it to be the most frustrating game I have ever touched.
I had to put Majoras Mask down for a few years and then come back to it honestly. It's not a bad game actually. You just have to do a mental shift in order to get into it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2005, 12:35 PM

No, MM sucks because you can't save where you are.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 12:40 PM

MM sucked because it never felt like you were getting anywhere. Rushing around and trying to get stuff done with a time limit is not what a Zelda game should be. Constantly worrying about a clock and doing the same thing over and over again is not fun. Not to me anyway.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I had to put Majoras Mask down for a few years and then come back to it honestly. It's not a bad game actually. You just have to do a mental shift in order to get into it.
Well i hated everything about it. By the time it came to going back to it I had a million other good games I would rather play.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 12:46 PM

MM sucked because it never felt like you were getting anywhere. Rushing around and trying to get stuff done with a time limit is not what a Zelda game should be. Constantly worrying about a clock and doing the same thing over and over again is not fun. Not to me anyway.
Never really had that problem. Just used the bank and the teleport songs. On the third dungeon right now.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:49 PM

Exactly, playing the same thing over and over with that clock drove me absolutely nuts. Hate hate hated it.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by starman
No, MM sucks because you can't save where you are.
Unless you're playing it on UltraHLE ;-)

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 08:31 AM

Off-topic from Zelda, has anyone heard of the game Geist that's coming out this week? I just read a review on the Globe and Mail, and it seems to have a rather interesting premise/gameplay.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Off-topic from Zelda, has anyone heard of the game Geist that's coming out this week? I just read a review on the Globe and Mail, and it seems to have a rather interesting premise/gameplay.
On the downside the framerate seems to be the same as goldeneye.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 11:27 AM

On the downside the framerate seems to be the same as goldeneye.
Really? That's definitely an annoyance. I'll still give it a look-see, though.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Really? That's definitely an annoyance. I'll still give it a look-see, though.
"Geist makes a mediocre first impression, due in large to underdeveloped shooter mechanics, which are sometimes worsened by a sporadic framerate in high-action battles. The only problem is that the game's technical prowess does not match its play ambitions. The simple truth is that Geist doesn't look quite as good as it could or run as smoothly as it should, and the latter problem occasionally has a detrimental bearing on gunplay."

http://cube.ign.com/articles/641/641641p1.html

Plus no online play for GameCube.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2005, 12:30 PM

"plus no online play for gamecube" lol

you should add this to your reviews of Xbox games:
"plus you will be supporting microsoft" or "plus youll fell more comfortable with a brick than the controller" or "plus that'll be $99 a year subscription to take the game online"

For the PS2:
"plus the graphics are the shittiest of all" or "plus the controller is so small that every inch of it occupiedwith a button" lol.

Its an interesting take on an FSP...true nintendo style here. unfortunately the game engine wasnt developed very well from what ive read....im blaming that on the second party developer. they have been working on this game for ages. If it wasnt for the reviews regarding the framerate drops and bad technical execultion of the game i would have put it on my list. it's a neat idea though..... but im sure some ppl would rather play a straight up FPS, cause theyre so much more entertaining, having to do the same thing in ever game.

And as for the online remark about the gamecube. seriously, isnt this game a gamecube exclusive to begin with ?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

"plus no online play for gamecube" lol

you should add this to your reviews of Xbox games:
"plus you will be supporting microsoft" or "plus youll fell more comfortable with a brick than the controller" or "plus that'll be $99 a year subscription to take the game online"
Nice try. How about you don't even have an option even if you had $1000 to spend to play online. I don't play on Xbox Live but millions of subscribers want to pay to play online. You do not have to play online if you don't want to but the option is nice.

Buttons?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:45 PM

For the PS2:
"plus the graphics are the shittiest of all"
Show me one game on any system or desktop PC that looks better than GT4 in 1080i. You don't have an HDTV so you certainly can't speak on experience.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2005, 12:53 PM

Show me one game on any system or desktop PC that looks better than GT4 in 1080i. You don't have an HDTV so you certainly can't speak on experience.
Half Life 2?
Myst V?
Doom 3?
Twilight Princess?

Need I even go on?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2005, 05:22 AM

yippie one game. (that would definately look better on the other consoles by the way)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Nintendo didn't cut the DS price. Read the article, foo.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 10:08 PM

Also, do you want to compare these profits to the profits of Sony and Microsoft's game divisions?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 02:10 PM

Probably picking up Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow today. Will report back on coolness.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 06:58 PM

Eagle: landed. (Along with Ravnica cards. Save the Magic nerd jokes.)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 09:10 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051006/cgth042.html?.v=23

Looks like gaming over all front's is in decline, not just the Nintendo front.

"The students were also surveyed on video game products and other consumer electronics. Results of the survey point out 79 percent of student households have at least one video game platform and 58 percent of students stating that they are occasional game players (playing at least monthly). In addition, 65 percent of student households own Sony's PS2, 50 percent own Microsoft's Xbox and 26 percent own Nintendo's GameCube. GameStop was recognized in the survey as the leading retailer for pre-owned video games with 60 percent market share and 29 percent market share for teen video game purchases. The survey also pointed out that 75 percent of teens say their interest in video games is declining and 78 percent indicated they spent less time playing in 2005."

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 01:45 PM

Nintendo didn't cut the DS price. Read the article, foo.
Ok foo.

"Mori also blamed the weak operating performance on price cuts to the DS. In August, Nintendo cut the price to $129 from $149 in the United States and this month lowered the price in Europe to 129 euros from 149 euros."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2005, 01:47 PM

yippie one game. (that would definately look better on the other consoles by the way)
There's actually more than one game that's in 1080i, but GT4 looks the BEST, that's what he was saying.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ok foo.

"Mori also blamed the weak operating performance on price cuts to the DS. In August, Nintendo cut the price to $129 from $149 in the United States and this month lowered the price in Europe to 129 euros from 149 euros."
August happened two months ago. The DS didn't get a price cut in response to earnings, it got a price cut months ago, hence the low earnings.

The DS price cut was already noted months ago, when it happened actually.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 06:15 PM

August happened two months ago. The DS didn't get a price cut in response to earnings, it got a price cut months ago, hence the low earnings.

The DS price cut was already noted months ago, when it happened actually.
Talking profits and revenues, i think it's worth mentioning that Nintendo has done a lot better than say...the PS division at Sony or the Xbox division at Microsoft. And totally Nintendo have also shipped more hardware units(but Sony is catching up).

The only "bad news" is that Nintendo havent made as big a profit as they did last year, which in my opinion is due to the pending release of the next generation.

So rest assured, Nintendo is still VERY healthy in it's financials, more so than the XBox division or the PS division, so no need to start thumping your chests just yet. You'd be better off going out and buying a second PS2, PSP or XBox to support the companies you root for.

Cheers

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 12:01 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 03:14 PM

Nintendo’s profits drop 21%

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000940069531/

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Nintendo’s profits drop 21%

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000940069531/
Microsoft XB Profits: -XX BILLION , and they are taking a loss of over $100 for every XB360 they sell, too bad software sales havent made up for all that lost revenue even after 5 odd years on the market.

Sony Profits: Almost non existent, thanks to the falling prices of consumer electronices such as TVs and VCRs and competition from Nintendo and Apple. Their PS brand has kept them barely afloat. With the release of the PS3 which is either going to be unusually expensive or drastically underpriced, cances are they wont have any financial reserves to fall back on.

Nintendo: profits down 21% ? so thats what ? a couple of hundred mil in the black on top of the billions they have in reserve ? poor nintendo

So buy a second XB360 and PSP to help save Sony and Microsoft instead of being such a anti-Nintendo troll on here.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 08:13 PM

Nintendo must be murally dyslexic. The writing is on the wall, and it says "People don't want kiddy consoles". After seeing the XBox 360 this week, it is safe to assume that Microsoft will handily own the gaming market. Nintendo, with its lame controller that doesn't even have a joystick, will become the preserve of 30 year old "Kiddults" who still can't give up on Mario and friends.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 08:19 PM

Microsoft XB Profits: -XX BILLION , and they are taking a loss of over $100 for every XB360 they sell, too bad software sales havent made up for all that lost revenue even after 5 odd years on the market.
Show me any company that operates at a profit from day one. Amazon lost money for how long?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2005, 10:43 PM

Huh? Sony is operating at a loss and they've been in the industry nearly 10 years...

I would assume Nintendo's profits have dropped in the wake of the 360 launch. I wouldn't be surprised to have the same thing happen to Sony. Nintendo sales will pick back up with the cheap Gamecube bundles and DS sales over Christmas.

I still have a second DS to buy for my girlfriend personally.

MinM
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Nintendo, with its lame controller that doesn't even have a joystick...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2005, 02:31 AM

The writing is on the wall, and it says "People don't want kiddy consoles".
Except for, you know, kids and people with kids...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 07:48 AM

Show me any company that operates at a profit from day one.
Nintendo

And Kerrigan....to say Nintendo is a "kiddy: company would be like saying Pixar is a "kiddy" company.

Just cause a publisher chooses to market its games to all demographics (unlike geeks writing games for other geeks), dosent make them kiddy. Just the way 'Finding Nemo' and 'Incredibles', which are animated movies(usually targeted to kids), appeal to adults and other demographics, so does Mario and Zelda. Pull your head out of ur geeky arse and you might see that. I prefer products developed by artists and people writing 'software' for people, as opposed to geeks writing software for other geeks trying to comphensate for a lack of a real life by encorporating continuous shooting and unusually big breated CG models.

I for one am thankful for companies like Apple and Nintendo....for having things as crazy as a 'mouse', a 'smily mac' at startup....or even an analogs stick and an italian plumber who eats mushrooms.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 25, 2005 at 08:03 AM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

And Kerrigan....to say Nintendo is a "kiddy: company would be like saying Pixar is a "kiddy" company.
That's an excellent comparison. The whole idea that "Nintendo is for kids" is just as ridiculous as "cartoons are for kids." Plenty of adults have enjoyed Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, the Flintstones, and Nintendo for years and they'll continue to do so.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
That's an excellent comparison. The whole idea that "Nintendo is for kids" is just as ridiculous as "cartoons are for kids." Plenty of adults have enjoyed Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, the Flintstones, and Nintendo for years and they'll continue to do so.
It's a natural complex of "growing up" and self-importance. Kerrigan's a winner.

But yet again. A thread. Of bickering. About goddamn video games.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 12:49 PM

The Nintendo/Pixar comparison is great until you realise that Pixar makes hit films with universal appeal, while Nintendo just tries to have mass appeal but instead winds up with the poorest number of sales in the industry.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 01:07 PM

The Nintendo/Pixar comparison is great until you realise that Pixar makes hit films with universal appeal, while Nintendo just tries to have mass appeal but instead winds up with the poorest number of sales in the industry.
Exactly. The first thing everyone says about PIXAR is that they make movies that appeal to everyone not just kids.

That is not Nintendo for the most part.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 05:56 PM

Exactly. The first thing everyone says about PIXAR is that they make movies that appeal to everyone not just kids.
Sounds like Nintendo to me.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Sounds like Nintendo to me.
Even Nintendo didn't agree with you on that one

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 07:06 PM

Is there a gaming franchize that has outdone Mario, Zelda, Metroid or Donkey Kong ? I would hardly consider them a failure from any perspective....sales, business or innovation. Nintendo has outdone Sony and Microsoft in game design, character design and sales of it's flagship franchizes. The other one that comes close is probably Sonic, but thats a Sega thing...NOT Sony or Microsoft, so i would hardly say Sony or Microsoft have universal appeal.

Nintendo is psynonomous with videogames. Playstation is getting there. but as far as actual games, Sony and Microsoft have nothing that can come close to being compared to Nintendo's stable.

Deal with it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 07:17 PM

That is not Nintendo for the most part.
Yup, and Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc are all flops. nevermind the millions of unit sales or hundreds of millions in profit over their competitors, theyre flops because you say so. And they dont have universal appeal becauce you, a middle aged man, dosent like em.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 02:59 PM

The next Zelda game has been delayed AGAIN until fall. So pretty much the same time the Revolution and PS3 launch.
http://www.gamecloud.com/omg.wtf?lolz=3578

Remember how well that worked for Conkers?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah.... im pissed off that they pushed its release even further. i reckon they are trying to add the revolution control to the game so, unlike conker(due to the media difference) Zelda will be cross compatible with the NGC and NRS. it's a good idea imo especially since the NRS can take GCN discs.

I loved conker by the way..and i would have gladly purchased it for my Cube. (if it's not on the NIntendo Game Store, i might just have to get an N64 to play that one game).

Forum Links
Forum Rules