Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Reading the Tea Leaves From Elections

Reading the Tea Leaves From Elections
RIRedinPA
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 05:00 PM

I don't think there's much to read in the tea leaves from last night's elections results. In the two governor races, Kilgore ran a terrible race, his supporters if not him used some questionable tactics and the Dems were incumbant there. People want to make a big deal out of Bush's visit but I don't think the Republican loss should be taken as a national litmus on Bush. Nor should it, or the loss in NJ be seen as precursors to anything in '06. There's a lot that can happen in a year that can sway public opinion.

Bush and his administration are certainly on the ropes and it seems the wheels are falling off and they are right now a ship without a rudder. In a year's time OBL could be captured, there could be good or bad economic news, there could be some national topic, gay marriage, abortion, whatever that galvanizes the base or the WH could completely implode.

The only race results I found significant and perhaps a tiny precursor was what happened in Dover, PA. In a heavily Republican township the Republican school board was swept away and lost 8-0 to Dem challengers. Why I think that is significant is that the people of Dover said that they don't want religion to reign supreme over science in their community. What I really liked hearing was that some of the Dems who won are not discounting ID, they are just saying it needs to be discussed in context. It cannot be a scientific theory or theory in general when you cannot prove or disprove the main pretext of that theory - i.e. an intelligent designer created us and all we see.

My hope is that the grass roots movement that placed the Dems on the Dover School Board is a sign that the influence of the religious right might be waning, that the country is going to make a move back to the center where religion becomes seperated from politics. Of course I said hope, the pessimistic side of me thinks that that this won't happen on a national level but rather in pockets here and there.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2005, 09:00 PM

It means the great pasta god is angry, fear him.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 09:16 PM

The New Jersey Governor's rage was a done deal 6 months ago. Some choice we had, huh? Choose you flavor of scvmbag. But this guy Forester was never going to beat a previously elected official like Senator Corzine.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 07:27 AM

There's a fair amount about Bush's last-minute endorsement hurting Kilgore more than it helped, but frankly I think Kilgore hurt himself far more than Bush ever could. All through the appearance, Kilgore was talking about Bush being 'very popular' and his hard work culminating in a recent 'extremely successful trip to South America'. Which, of course, made Bush all confused, because even by his own standards that trip was anything but successful.

I'm sorry, but when you start saying stuff so stupid that even Bush goes "WTF?", you know you've screwed up.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RIRedinPA  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by zizban
It means the great pasta god is angry, fear him.

LOL - I just found that site the other day.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
http://www.venganza.org
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 08:59 AM

there's the rumor that mark warner may have a go at the presidential race in 2008. he's seen as a conservative democrat, and kaine's win in va reflects favorably on him.
one post closer to five stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules