Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Saddam's WMD Moved to Syria, An Israeli Says

Saddam's WMD Moved to Syria, An Israeli Says
IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2005, 01:00 PM

Saddam's WMD Moved to Syria, An Israeli Says

BY IRA STOLL - Staff Reporter of the Sun
December 15, 2005
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/24480

Saddam Hussein moved his chemical weapons to Syria six weeks before the war started, Israel's top general during Operation Iraqi Freedom says.

The assertion comes as President Bush said yesterday that much of the intelligence on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was incorrect.

The Israeli officer, Lieutenant General Moshe Yaalon, asserted that Saddam spirited his chemical weapons out of the country on the eve of the war. "He transferred the chemical agents from Iraq to Syria," General Yaalon told The New York Sun over dinner in New York on Tuesday night. "No one went to Syria to find it."

From July 2002 to June 2005, when he retired, General Yaalon was chief of staff of the Israel Defense Force, the top job in the Israeli military, analogous to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the American military. He is now a military fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. He made similar, but more speculative, remarks in April 2004 that attracted little notice in America; at that time he was quoted as saying of the Iraqi weapons, "Perhaps they transferred them to another country, such as Syria."

The Israeli general's remarks came on the eve of Mr. Bush's speech to the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington, in which the president addressed the issue of intelligence and defended the decision to go to war. "When we made the decision to go into Iraq, many intelligence agencies around the world judged that Saddam possessed weapons of mass destruction. This judgment was shared by the intelligence agencies of governments who did not support my decision to remove Saddam. And it is true that much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong," Mr. Bush said in remarks that were one of a series of speeches he has given recently on the war.

Mr. Bush's defense of the war echoed themes he has been pressing since before the war began and through his successful campaign for re-election. "Given Saddam's history and the lessons of September the 11th, my decision to remove Saddam Hussein was the right decision. Saddam was a threat - and the American people and the world is better off because he is no longer in power."

An official at the Iraqi embassy in Washington, Entifadh Qanbar, said he believed the Israeli general's account, but that the Iraqi government is "basically operating in the dark" because it does not have its own intelligence agency. He said the issue underscored the need for the new Iraqi government to have control of its own intelligence service. "We don't have any way to find anything out about Syria because we don't have intelligence," Mr. Qanbar said. He said there is a high-rise building in Baghdad with 1,000 employees working on intelligence but that it has no budget appropriation from the Iraqi government and "doesn't report to the Iraqi government."

"Nobody knows who it belongs to, but you should understand who it belongs to," he said, in what was apparently a reference to American involvement.

An Iraqi politician, Mithal Al-Alusi, whose sons were both assassinated in Iraq last year, told The New York Sun's Eli Lake last month that his party would press the Iraqi government to renew the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Mr. Al-Alusi said he believes Saddam clearly had the weapons before the invasion. "They will find the weapons, I am sure they will," Mr. Al-Alusi said.

A spokesman at the Syrian embassy in Washington did not return a call seeking comment. But General Yaalon's comment could increase pressure on the Syrian government that is already mounting from Washington and the United Nations. Mr. Bush has been keeping the rhetorical heat on Damascus. On Monday, he said in a speech, "Iraq's neighbor to the west, Syria, is permitting terrorists to use that territory to cross into Iraq."

Also Monday, Mr. Bush issued a statement saying, "Syria must comply with United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1559, 1595, and 1636 and end its interference in Lebanon once and for all. "The resolutions call for ending Syria's occupation of Lebanon and for Syrian cooperation into the investigation of the assassination of a Lebanese politician, Rafik Hariri.

On Saturday, the White House issued a statement calling attention to Syrian prisoners of conscience such as Kamal Labwani. "The Syrian Government must cease its harassment of Syrians peacefully seeking to bring democratic reform to their country. The United States stands with the Syrian people in their desire for freedom and democracy," said the statement, issued in the name of the White House press secretary.

Yesterday, the State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, described Syria as an "oppressive regime." He also pointed to a recent report by a United Nations investigator looking into the assassination of Hariri. "The Syrian Government has failed to offer its full cooperation," Mr. McCormack said, citing the U.N. investigator's report that "details allegations of document burning by the Syrians, of intimidating witnesses."

When, during an interview with the Sun in April, Vice President Cheney was asked whether he thought that Iraqi weapons of mass destruction had been moved to Syria, Mr. Cheney replied only that he had seen such reports.

An article in the Fall 2005 Middle East Quarterly reports that in an appearance on Israel's Channel 2 on December 23, 2002, Israel's prime minister, Ariel Sharon stated, "Chemical and biological weapons which Saddam is endeavoring to conceal have been moved from Iraq to Syria." The allegation was denied by the Syrian government at the time as "completely untrue," and it attracted scant American press attention, coming as it did on the eve of the Christmas holiday.

Syria shares a 376-mile border with Iraq. The Syrian ruling party and Saddam Hussein had in common the ideology of Baathism, a mixture of Nazism and Marxism.

Syria is one of only eight countries that has not signed the Chemical Weapons Convention, a treaty that obligates nations not to stockpile or use chemical weapons. And it has long been the source of concern in America and Israel and Lebanon about its chemical warfare program apart from any weapons that may have been received from Iraq. The director of Central Intelligence, George Tenet, testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee in March of 2004, "Damascus has an active CW development and testing program that relies on foreign suppliers for key controlled chemicals suitable for producing CW."

Interesting report, which completely contradicts what the liberal media has been reporting, I wonder what play this article will get, if any by the liberal press?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 07:44 PM

India says they were smuggled to Pakistan.

Monster Raving Loony Party.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2005, 07:49 PM

South Korea says North Korea got em.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 08:04 PM

I heard they are buried in the desert somewhere. We'll find them eventually if we keep looking.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 08:38 PM

I heard parts of nuclear devices were buried in Iraqi scientist's backyards. The plan was to smuggle them into the USA disguised as vending machines.

Or was that a movie?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2005, 08:44 PM

Oregon said Washington has em.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 09:32 PM

Maybe they are underwater?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 09:50 PM

They should ask Rummy, he said he knew where they were.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2005, 10:00 PM

They're hidden away by SkyNet, for you known, Termination time.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 10:09 PM

Wheres Bin Laden? oops I forgot...Sadaam is more important
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
Wheres Bin Laden? oops I forgot...Sadaam is more important

Maybe underwater?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
Wheres Bin Laden?
Montana says he's in Wyoming.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by tie
We'll find them eventually if we keep looking.
bombing. It makes so much sense to keep "looking" for them.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Maybe underwater?
on a boat with a goat?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by black bear theory
on a boat with a goat?

What is he doing with the goat, just hanging out?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 11:57 PM

Hahaha... you guys are hilarious. Happy weekend guys!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 07:21 AM

YES you found them! And they are yours for 1 MILLION DOLLORS!!
MAwhahahahahaha

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 17, 2005, 04:34 PM

Dubya even looked under his desk.

Na..they aint there.

But he is a confessed liar now.

IceBreaker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 11:00 AM

what will be interesting is the reaction from the left when they are used against Israel by Syria

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2005, 11:25 AM

The left will do what they always do. Blame George Bush.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

Still looking for Bin Laden however...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Kodachrome
Dec 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

Saddam paid for suicide bombers in Israel, and so the logic of moving the WMD to Syria is plausible.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 04:58 PM

Although I find it hard to believe that they moved all the WMD before the war started, Israel is known for its intelligence so I guess this is possible. But then how did it take them this long to figure out where they went?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Although I find it hard to believe that they moved all the WMD before the war started, Israel is known for its intelligence so I guess this is possible. But then how did it take them this long to figure out where they went?
I wonder if Israel didn't just go in and grab them (in Syria) in a covert operation and take care of it undercover?

Something is up with that information being reported in the way it was.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
I wonder if Israel didn't just go in and grab them (in Syria) in a covert operation and take care of it undercover?

Something is up with that information being reported in the way it was.
And they Liberals are wearing tinfoil hats...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
And they Liberals are wearing tinfoil hats...

far200
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Oregon said Washington has em.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker
what will be interesting is the reaction from the left when they are used against Israel by Syria
LOL. You guys are always willing to buy a bridge. I have some nice Florida real estate to sell you. PM me!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tie
I heard they are buried in the desert somewhere. We'll find them eventually if we keep looking.
I heard the real killers are still out there. OJ will find them eventually if he keeps looking.

OAW

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 29, 2005, 06:10 PM

Well they had them. We don't know what happened to them. So it's anyone's guess.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Well they had them. We don't know what happened to them. So it's anyone's guess.
Which ones?

Emile M. Cioran

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 29, 2005, 09:09 PM

The ones he had in the 90s

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos
They should ask Rummy, he said he knew where they were.
lol

also, they can't be in Syria, Syria are friends of the US, they help the CIA with interrogations.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 30, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
lol

also, they can't be in Syria, Syria are friends of the US, they help the CIA with interrogations.
Every coin has two sides

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 11:29 AM

NYC says Upstate has them, and you know what? We wish we did.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 11:49 AM

The ones he had in the 90s
Are you sure that no one knows where these are?

Weren't there somekind of inspections at some point?

Haven't the US and the Brits blown a few spots in the '90s to destroy some of those WMDs?

How do you know WMDs from the '90s are missing at this time?

Emile M. Cioran

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Are you sure that no one knows where these are?
Oh, I am sure SOMEONE does.
Weren't there somekind of inspections at some point?

Haven't the US and the Brits blown a few spots in the '90s to destroy some of those WMDs?

How do you know WMDs from the '90s are missing at this time?
Because not all are accounted for? Yes, I think that's it.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 05:03 PM

Oh, I am sure SOMEONE does.

Because not all are accounted for? Yes, I think that's it.
inspections found and destroyed what? 90-95% of the WMD's (ritter), leaving 5-10% unaccounted for, and generally the life-span of a chemi/bio weapon is 5-10 years if properly stored.

the US did find WMD of this older variety during the invasion, but they were worthless.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 07:47 PM

inspections found and destroyed what? 90-95% of the WMD's (ritter)
Source?

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 10:18 PM

Source?
as i said, scott ritter.

(am i the only one who researches my own and others claims?)

Is Iraq a True Threat to the US? originally on boston globe.

While we were never able to provide 100 percent certainty regarding the disposition of Iraq's proscribed weaponry, we did ascertain a 90-95 percent level of verified disarmament. This figure takes into account the destruction or dismantling of every major factory associated with prohibited weapons manufacture, all significant items of production equipment, and the majority of the weapons and agent produced by Iraq.

With the exception of mustard agent, all chemical agent produced by Iraq prior to 1990 would have degraded within five years (the jury is still out regarding Iraq's VX nerve agent program - while inspectors have accounted for the laboratories, production equipment and most of the agent produced from 1990-91, major discrepancies in the Iraqi accounting preclude any final disposition at this time.)

The same holds true for biological agent, which would have been neutralized through natural processes within three years of manufacture. Effective monitoring inspections, fully implemented from 1994-1998 without any significant obstruction from Iraq, never once detected any evidence of retained proscribed activity or effort by Iraq to reconstitute that capability which had been eliminated through inspections.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 10:30 PM

as i said, scott ritter.

(am i the only one who researches my own and others claims?)

Is Iraq a True Threat to the US? originally on boston globe.
You will soon find out how useless it is to provide facts. But take the good of it for yourself; now you have proof of the Truth!

Emile M. Cioran

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2005, 11:59 PM

as i said, scott ritter.
What could Scott Ritter, a former US Marine intelligence officer and former chief UN weapons inspector in Iraq, possibly know about WMD in Iraq?

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 1, 2006, 02:17 AM

This is what we do know.

The president said that after the Gulf War ended in 1991, Iraq admitted having a massive offensive biological warfare capability, including:

5,000 gallons of Botulinum (causing Botulism)
2,000 gallons of Anthrax
25 biological-filled Scud warheads
157 aerial bombs
Clinton said Iraq still posed a threat to the national security of the United States and the "freedom-loving world."

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/17/iraq.clinton/

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 04:58 AM

This is what we do know.

The president said that after the Gulf War ended in 1991, Iraq admitted having a massive offensive biological warfare capability, including:

5,000 gallons of Botulinum (causing Botulism)
2,000 gallons of Anthrax
25 biological-filled Scud warheads
157 aerial bombs
Clinton said Iraq still posed a threat to the national security of the United States and the "freedom-loving world."

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/17/iraq.clinton/
This is what we do know . . . as well. (from your linked article)
Clinton demands total access for U.N. arms inspectors
Source: Annan expected to make Baghdad trip

February 17, 1998
Web posted at: 2:38 p.m. EST (1938 GMT)
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. President Clinton said Tuesday that Washington still favors a diplomatic solution to the Iraq crisis, but stressed that any solution must include free and unfettered access for U.N. weapons inspectors.
Oh, and the UN weapons inspectors mentioned by Clinton include the author of this quote below.
While we were never able to provide 100 percent certainty regarding the disposition of Iraq's proscribed weaponry, we did ascertain a 90-95 percent level of verified disarmament. This figure takes into account the destruction or dismantling of every major factory associated with prohibited weapons manufacture, all significant items of production equipment, and the majority of the weapons and agent produced by Iraq.

With the exception of mustard agent, all chemical agent produced by Iraq prior to 1990 would have degraded within five years (the jury is still out regarding Iraq's VX nerve agent program - while inspectors have accounted for the laboratories, production equipment and most of the agent produced from 1990-91, major discrepancies in the Iraqi accounting preclude any final disposition at this time.)

The same holds true for biological agent, which would have been neutralized through natural processes within three years of manufacture. Effective monitoring inspections, fully implemented from 1994-1998 without any significant obstruction from Iraq, never once detected any evidence of retained proscribed activity or effort by Iraq to reconstitute that capability which had been eliminated through inspections.
So, it would seem you agree with black bear theory on the usefulness of UN weapons inspectors and the validity of their statements.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 1, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
This is what we do know . . . as well. (from your linked article)
Yes we know Clinton was ready to attack Iraq because they kept not letting the weapons inspectors do their job, and Clinton ALSO believed he was hiding WMDs.

Just like Bush did...

Actually just like everyone in Congress did.

Until it became election time that is.

And then the sheep followed.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 01:37 PM

Yes we know Clinton was ready to attack Iraq because they kept not letting the weapons inspectors do their job, and Clinton ALSO believed he was hiding WMDs.

Just like Bush did...

Actually just like everyone in Congress did.

Until it became election time that is.

And then the sheep followed.
Nice tangent. But the point that brought this up is that you contested the statements made by Scott Ritter as highlighted in a previous post. And replied to that post with a link to an article. That article stressed the need for more involvement of UN weapons inspectors with the demand coming from President Clinton. So, do you care to revise your statement questionining the validity of the statements of Scott Ritter or do you wish to continue to call them into question. Once you answer that question I'll engage in the follow-up question of comparisons between Clinton and Bush and their respective policies towards Saddam Hussein. Let's resolve one point of debate before moving on to another.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 1, 2006, 01:49 PM

dc what I am saying is, regardless of what Scott said, others believed otherwise.

Hindsight is 20/20

And most people believed the WMD before it because a partisan spin right before the elections.

So my point is, this is still nothing but another LAME partisan spin.

History speaks for itself.

Or would you like me to posts the hundreds of quotes of Democrats basically saying the same things Clinton and Bush were saying up until right before the election?

The whole "WHERE ARE THE WMDS?!?!" Skit, and that is what is was, a skit, was a partisan sludge.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 1, 2006, 03:08 PM

An example of this

W]hen [Senator Joe] Lieberman returned from Iraq and gave a cautiously optimistically appraisal that our plan of encouraging elections, training Iraqis, and improving the Iraqi economy is working both inside Iraq and in the wider neighboring region, he was shunned by Democrats -- who nevertheless by their inaction essentially agreed with Lieberman and so made no move to demand an immediate withdrawal. ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules