Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Suggest some UNIX apps to play with

Suggest some UNIX apps to play with
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

I've just used X11 for the first time recently - I was trying out R, the stats program, which my I've been toying with to replace SPSS. It's very nice, and only whetted my interest in this capability of OS X, which I had always ignored before. I feel like there's a whole world out there that I have wrongfully neglected.

Can you suggest any cool programs to download and try out? I browsed through the UNIX download section on apple.com, and found a few things that perked my interest - GRASS the GIS program, open office, GIMP. What are some other programs or places to find programs that will be fairly easy to install and run for a new user?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 01:41 AM

Octave (Computer Algebra System)
Blender (3D modelling)

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005, 01:42 AM

Inkscape is an open source vector drawing app (like Illustrator or Freehand).
Abiword and Gnumeric - GNOME word processor and spreadsheet, not sure how easy these are to install on OS X.

If you're going to be using R heavily, you might want to check out the Mac (non-X11) version.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
If you're going to be using R heavily, you might want to check out the Mac (non-X11) version.
Oh yeah, I actually was using the Mac version. The only reason I was using X11 at all was that I was looking for a menu-driven interface for R, and R Commander seemed to be the most popular. Do you use it?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 PM

I only ever used R once, and that was a while ago. I used the built-in command prompt interface - R Commander doesn't sound familiar.

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 06:11 PM

Just a few suggestions:Also, there is a wealth of command-line apps (not X) already installed on your system. To find out where they might be hiding, type echo $PATH from X11 or Terminal.

Enjoy.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2005, 10:49 PM

The Gimp
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 02:45 AM

Nmap

Gavin
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 03:12 AM

Some command line goodies:

tar <- bundle multiple files in a folder into a single file, for easy backup and it speeds up file transfer over ftp or file sharing vs sending multiple files, even uncompressed

bzip2 <- compresses way better than gzip or stuffit
wget <- can download a whole website and rewrite the links as relative for local viewing
curl <- can download files based on a pattern, useful for grabbing sequential data or photos from as website

dig <- get dns info about a domain name
whois <- get registrar info about a domain name
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 01:56 AM

Ethereal, should you need a packet sniffer (I've used it for debugging network code and also as a poor-man's Little Snitch when running untrusted apps). It's not the kind of app you'll use everyday (unless you are in the networking business or you have a voyeuristic streak) but it might be occasionally useful.

I use and love DarwinPorts to install command-line and X11 software.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 07:37 PM

Most of the stuff I use has nice OS X packages:
GIMP, Inkscape, LaTeX (through TeXShop), R, clamav (via ClamXav)

Also, on the command line only, I frequently use [font=Courier New]ftp[/font], [font=Courier New]top[/font], and NanoBlogger.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 05:10 AM

GIMP
clamXav
smartmontools (DarwinPorts)
tcpflow
scribus

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:25 PM

available through fink:

mtr (awesome ping and traceroute program)
ettercap (packet sniffer)

...and a bunch of other stuff too
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by zizban
The Gimp

He's sleeping...

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
LaTeX (through TeXShop)
I'm sure TeXShop is good, but personally I use TextMate as my LaTeX editor. I got my teTeX installation from DarwinPorts and it has worked nicely.

n1mie
Jan 17, 2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I've just used X11 for the first time recently - I was trying out R, the stats program, which my I've been toying with to replace SPSS. It's very nice, and only whetted my interest in this capability of OS X, which I had always ignored before. I feel like there's a whole world out there that I have wrongfully neglected.

Can you suggest any cool programs to download and try out? I browsed through the UNIX download section on apple.com, and found a few things that perked my interest - GRASS the GIS program, open office, GIMP. What are some other programs or places to find programs that will be fairly easy to install and run for a new user?
Cool list folks. I saw a number I hadn't noticed before. I am still trying to get my Gnome setup completely up and running, but it is mostly there. In the meantime I still use Fink for almost all of my installation (and update) needs. I sometimes will look through the list of uninstalled programs
Code:
$ fink list -n | more
to see what might be fun to try. Most of the programs in the list that start with 'x' are for X11, although not necessarily all. There are a bunch of games you can try as well (xgalaga, xinvaders, xaos, xjig, xkobo, xmahjongg, xplanet, and more). And if you are brave enough to try Gnome or KDE (or something similar) there are tons more things to play around with. It's not necessarily for the faint of heart, but you didn't get where you are without trying a few things that are out-of-bounds for most users. I'd say go for it.

--Chip

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 02:20 AM

FinkCommander is a great app for browsing through fink packages.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 10:44 AM

If your into designing typefaces give FontForge a try. Free and has extensive features. Works great in Apple's X11.

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 10:45 AM

Oh ... one more PDFtk .... great for working with PDFs

Forum Links
Forum Rules