Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Evolution of Rick Santorum

The Evolution of Rick Santorum
RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 22, 2005, 03:48 PM

It looks like Senator Santorum's opinion of intelligent design and its place in the classroom is evolving, I would even go so far as to say we are seeing speciation with Senator Santorum.

The Bushezoic Age

Senator Santorum's views on ID and it's teaching in the classroom can be reflected by two op eds, one in the Washington Times, the other in the Allentown Times.

[I]ntelligent design is a legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in science classes. At the beginning of the year, President Bush signed into law the "No Child Left Behind" bill. The new law includes a science education provision where Congress states that "where topics are taught that may generate controversy (such as biological evolution), the curriculum should help students to understand the full range of scientific views that exist." If the Education Board of Ohio does not include intelligent design in the new teaching standards, many students will be denied a first-rate science education. Many will be left behind.

http://www.arn.org/docs/ohio/washtim...orum031402.htm
The Washinton Times
March 14, 2002

Recently, the Dover Area School District in York County updated their biology curriculum in an attempt to create a more balanced approach to teaching evolution. A statement regarding the status of evolutionary theory and the existence of alternative theories will be read to all students during the time evolution is studied in the high school biology course. Additionally, students will be able to voluntarily view reference books in the library that present a variety of cutting-edge scientific views both supporting and opposing Darwinian theory. The Dover Area School District has taken a step in the right direction by engaging in the debate and attempting to teach the controversy of evolution.

http://santorum.senate.gov/public/in...TOKEN=75872047
Allentown Morning Call
Jan. 14, 2005

The Dover Age

But as time progressed evidence has been presented that Senator Santorum (Rickis Santorumis) has evolved his opinion on ID as a science and it's validity to be taught in the classroom.

U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum said Saturday that he doesn't believe that intelligent design belongs in the science classroom.

Santorum's comments to The Times are a shift from his position of several years ago, when he wrote in a Washington Times editorial that intelligent design is a "legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in the classroom."

But on Saturday, the Republican said that, "Science leads you where it leads you."

Rotten subscription only link:

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478569&rfi=6
Beaver County Times
November 13, 2005
I am without a doubt not a big Rick Santorum fan and will be glad to see Bob Casey defeat him next year but I am disappointed that he's turned out to be just another shill politician who'll shift with the electoral winds and sell out his values for a few votes.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2005, 11:03 AM

Rick Santorum is one of the very few politicians that scare me. He has said things in the past that have chilled me. And he is a shill, like the rest of them in Congress.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Forum Links
Forum Rules