Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacUpdate? :o

MacUpdate? :o
phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:50 AM

http://www.macupdate.com/

Just found this.
( Last edited by phillryu; Dec 25, 2005 at 02:27 PM. )

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 04:02 AM

wt?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 04:06 AM

*weirded out*

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 04:08 AM

That's very un-PC of them.

Happy Holidays everyone!

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2005, 04:20 AM

Very unexpected indeed - but are they depicting Jesus as an alien?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:23 AM

that's the most ****ed up thing I have ever seen

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:24 AM

(people should really refrain from editing their websites while high)

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nick
ROFLMAO

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 04:53 AM

That's not just stupid, it's obnoxious. I just lost a lot of respect for MU.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 05:54 AM

They're doing what they feel is right. I can respect that. I can understand the argument that many people will have with this but ask yourself if you would be just as upset if this page talked about Buddha or some other prophet. I'm guessing you wouldn't be as upset with that as most people are with this. And I ask why.

tikki
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 08:54 AM

When I saw the site this morning I thought it was hacked.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 08:59 AM

I suspect that it is hacked. And Ratm, please stop looking for yet another anti Christian conspiracy when there clearly is none.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
That's not just stupid, it's obnoxious. I just lost a lot of respect for MU.
Oh yeah, since he posted some stuff about his faith, everything on his site is crap now.

Steve Jobs is a card-carrying, pinko liberal, but I don't buy his stuff because of his politics or religion — and I that's not why I visit MacUpdate.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Oh yeah, since he posted some stuff about his faith, everything on his site is crap now.
It's unprofessional. There are users who don't appreciate having Jesus shoved down their throat when they want to inform themselves about Mac updates.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 09:58 AM

I think certain people's true nature is showing in this thread. The gloves are off it seems.

And kudos for Macupdate for having such steel ones.
Originally Posted by TETENAL
It's unprofessional. There are users who don't appreciate having Jesus shoved down their throat when they want to inform themselves about Mac updates.
Jesus isn't being SHOVED down anyone's throat.

And guess what, I never saw that page. Why? My bookmark goes here

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...osx&order=date

Like most people I know.

Regardless, if it was something bashing the religious nature of Xmas, most of you would be saying "Good for him to stand up to such things"
Originally Posted by Ratm
They're doing what they feel is right. I can respect that. I can understand the argument that many people will have with this but ask yourself if you would be just as upset if this page talked about Buddha or some other prophet. I'm guessing you wouldn't be as upset with that as most people are with this. And I ask why.
Not too hard to read this crowd is it.

You'd think they had a Hitler memorial on that page the way certain people in here are reacting.
( Last edited by Kevin; Dec 25, 2005 at 10:09 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nick
So that is why the forum keeps screwing up...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2005, 10:13 AM

Best hack ever.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

Not sure if it was a hack. If it was, I agree.

How do you know it was?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 10:33 AM

Totally rad.®

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 10:43 AM

That is just pathetic. I'm jewish so I don't agree with that at all. :/

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Totally rad.®
Post something meaningful once in a while you idiot.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 10:46 AM

What's pathetic is the replies in this thread.

People need to just stfu really. So what if you dont necessarily believe in Jesus outside of an historical figure.

He's "married" to holiday here and abroad. Some people are just going to have to bite the anti-jesus pillow and learn to deal.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 10:46 AM

Steve Jobs is a card-carrying, pinko liberal, but I don't buy his stuff because of his politics or religion — and I that's not why I visit MacUpdate.
I agree with you. Big deal, his faith is important (unless it's a hack). We should be proud he is standing for something. Pretty honorable if you ask me.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 10:58 AM

It's a mac site for news on applications, updates, etc, not a tool for whomever to be used to promote their religion onto others. A simple "merry christmas" would suffice. Stop with the anti-chrismas conspiracy ****, Kevin.

I don't appreciate a site telling me once a year that I'm not good enough because I don't worship something they do. It's not right.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Some people are just going to have to bite the anti-jesus pillow and learn to deal.

Nice to see that somebody is promoting the true meaning of Christmas.
Truth. Peace, Understanding. Forgiveness for our sins. Salvation from the dark. Turning the other cheek.

Why are you so angry all of the time, Kevin? What has happened in your life to make you so full of rage?

Macupdate has every right to post whatever they want on their homepage. It might be the truth that most people Kevin knows don't go to the home page, but I for one have my bookmark set to the main page.

Am I offended by the kind of proselytizing that is going on over there? No I am not. They are a private entity and it is entirely up to them what they do with their property. I am another private entity and it my right to choose my source of Mac software updates.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Dec 25, 2005 at 11:15 AM. )

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Dec 25, 2005, 11:01 AM

And Happy Hanakauh to our Jewish friends!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Post something meaningful once in a while you idiot.
Proud of you.®

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
I agree with you. Big deal, his faith is important (unless it's a hack). We should be proud he is standing for something. Pretty honorable if you ask me.
I agree.
It's a mac site for news on applications, updates, etc, not a tool for whomever to be used to promote their religion onto others.
He is celebrating his religion.
A simple "merry christmas" would suffice.p
Well he wanted to do more.
Stop with the anti-chrismas conspiracy ****, Kevin.
when did I say anything about this? I am talking about the whiners in here.
I don't appreciate a site telling me once a year that I'm not good enough because I don't worship something they do. It's not right.
You got that off of that site? Really?

Sounds like you have a inferiority complex demo. I am not saying you do, or I am not trying to project one onto you. But for you to get that feeling from the site. ..

Esp when Christianity teaches EVERYONE is good enough.

So now you know that, you shouldn't feel that way right?
Originally Posted by Mastrap
Nice to see that somebody is promoting the true meaning of Christmas.
Truth. Peace, Understanding. Forgiveness for our sins. Salvation from the dark. Turning the other cheek.
Ah, and here comes the self-righteous spin.
Why are you so angry all of the time, Kevin? What has happened in your life to make you so full of rage?
That is just it. I am not angry. Not angry at all. I am a very happy person.
Just because I have a habit of calling out bullcrap, doesn't mean I am unhappy.

Why do you feel the need to project unhappiness unto someone Mastrap?

Is that more of your dishonesty?
Macupdate has every right to post whatever they want on their homepage. It might be the truth that most people Kevin knows don't go to the home page, but I for one have my bookmark set to the main page.

Am I offended by the kind of proselytizing that is going on over there? No I am not. They are a private entity and it is entirely up to them what they do with their property. I am another private entity and it my right to choose my source of Mac software updates.
Well then we agree. I would never say you were hateful for believing that though.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2005, 11:34 AM

When I saw it, it made me feel like "hey, there's more to life than looking for software updates even on christmas ". Thinked about it for a while. Really liked it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 11:39 AM

I'm still not convinced it's not a spoof. To me it's just that poorly executed. Ah well. I'm all for promoting the true meaning of Christmas amid all the consumer whoring, but still - that little guy in the light actually kinda creeps me out.

Pity he didn't at least link to a charity or two - imho that's the nicest aspect to this holiday season - and something we can all feel good about.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2005, 11:48 AM

That is just pathetic. I'm jewish so I don't agree with that at all. :/
I disagree.

I'm Jewish and I'm not offended or put off.

He owns his site, and he can use it to display his beliefs to commemorate a day that is important to him.

If he loses a few viewers or even paying customers over it, he's already determined his beliefs and principles are worth more.

And, if it's okay to have an anti-Christian prejudice, what religion will be next?

If I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?

you might want to read http://jews4fairness.org and http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9122
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 12:15 PM

Steve Jobs is a card-carrying, pinko liberal
Not trying to start a fight here, but is calling us "pinko liberals" really necessary? It's possible to be a liberal without being a communist, y'know.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2005, 12:20 PM

here's what I wrote. It was sarcasm; wonder if they'll get it:

I came to mac update today and got a religious sermon. I mean, what the ****? I went to church last night and I have more crosses in my house than the Vatican but really, can't I just get software updates without a ****ing sermon? I mean, I know it's xmas and all but I consider mac update to be a heaven of secular goodness, not a den of jesus fanatics hell bent on taking advantage of one ****ing holiday to preach their message. Why not do this on the Feast of Saint Martha? or Easter Vigil (That's the saturday before easter, sparky)? Why pick the one ****ing day when the fat guy brings the goods? Jesus wasn't actually born on december 25th, get real, it was like april or march. Those pagan heathen the celts made christmas right around their ancient religious holiday. Sheesh. Save the ****ing preaching for the choir. Jacks offs.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 12:30 PM

zizban sarcasm? If they don't get it, I could see how.

If I were to get that in my email I would just think it was just another anti-Jesus zealot getting his panties in a knot.

So if your intentions was something other than that, I would send another email to the guy.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 12:32 PM

If you don't like it, ignore it. It's not worth getting your panties in a bunch over, is it? Just click on the linky that says "go to MacUpdate". Or don't go to the site any more.

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 12:47 PM

I just hate splash pages in general.

I go to a site to get content, not to be forced to click through someone else's beliefs that I care nothing about.

Fire Of Zim
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 12:51 PM

Unprofessional.

What would you do if Apple.com did it?

Corporations should not do this, period.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47
If you don't like it, ignore it. It's not worth getting your panties in a bunch over, is it? Just click on the linky that says "go to MacUpdate". Or don't go to the site any more.
Or, go to www.versiontracker.com like I did because I didn't get to the bottom of the page (where the "go to MacUpdate" link is) the first time I saw it

Fire Of Zim
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 12:54 PM

Would you "support" a pro-marijuana page on MacUpdate? They are opinions and should not interfere with the normal content.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by RGB
I just hate splash pages in general.

I go to a site to get content, not to be forced to click through someone else's beliefs that I care nothing about.
No one is forcing you to do anything.

Lots of drama going on in here over something so petty.
Originally Posted by Fire Of Zim
Unprofessional.

I didn't know he was a corporation.
Would you "support" a pro-marijuana page on MacUpdate?
I would support his right to put such a thing there.
Would you think there would be as many people here upset if he did that instead?
They are opinions and should not interfere with the normal content.
It's his page, he can do with it what he wants to.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 01:25 PM

No one is saying he doesn't have a right to put up what he wants on his website. Some people just find it distasteful, and they'd prefer it if he didn't. Is that so hard to understand?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 01:28 PM

Read those urls from MacUpdate front page:

http:://ads.macupdate.com/adclick.php?bannerid=512&zoneid=&source=&dest=http ://www.bigquestions.com/seven/index.htm

http:://ads.macupdate.com/adclick.php?bannerid=512&zoneid=&source=&dest=http ://www.whyhedied.com/

http:://ads.macupdate.com/adclick.php?bannerid=512&zoneid=&source=&dest=http ://www.biblegateway.com/

Doesn't it seem like a cheap way of earning money?

As much as I don't like it, I can respect the owner of MacUpdate for doing it but come on, exploiting religion to make some profit? =/

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 25, 2005, 01:28 PM

Jesus hacked it.

You know he has a Mac. A G10 running MacOS XXX. And an infinite monitor.

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2005, 01:35 PM

Unprofessional.

... you mean sort of like the wading into political statements with rosa parks... ;-)

be well.

laeth

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 01:47 PM

I think it is more sad than anything else. I mean if God is so great and everyone that accepts him is saved then why do people feel the need to shove it down others throats?

If he is as wonderful as they say he is I should be drawn to him myself? Instead a software update site feels the need to point to try god sites AND make money off of the links (they are clearly advertising links).

If Microsoft were to put up a website saying "Gay equality" then people would scream bloody murder.

Instead what is happening in this case the already religious folks will say they have a right to do what they like and everyone else will think they come off as desperate, nuts and trying to make money off Religion.

i think versiontracker just became my new site of choice.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Instead a software update site feels the need to point to try god sites AND make money off of the links (they are clearly advertising links).
does the advertising link require that one profit?

why does it seem that many love freedoms except when others exercise theirs?

be well.

laeth

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by isao bered
does the advertising link require that one profit?

why does it seem that many love freedoms except when others exercise theirs?

be well.

laeth
Great point. People always yell, "I want to say what I want". Then when someone actually does it, all hell breaks loose.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 02:55 PM

I won't be renewing my membership.

That looks like some guy's blog, not a business site. I respect their right to put that there, but I think it is extremely unprofessional, and it makes me wonder what kind of a "company" they really are.

I am very outspoken about politics/religion, but I don't bring that into totally non-political and non-religious situations (like a business that does not specifically involve these issues).

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2005, 02:55 PM

like a bunch of old women sitting around a table bitching about nonsense. re-diculous.
ice

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I suspect that it is hacked. And Ratm, please stop looking for yet another anti Christian conspiracy when there clearly is none.
What? I'm just asking a simple question. I don't consider myself to be Christian— even less, hardcore. I'm not involved in any of these groups—politics, religion and whatever else has leeched on—my view is a view from the outside looking in. And the impression that I get is that it does seem that Christians face a lot more opposition then say a person who's in the Hindu faith, that would have tired something similar.

You say that there is no issue but just look at some of the reactions and comments here. Would they dare say this if the person promoted Judaism(I going to go ahead and say no because he would be considered an anti-semite) Buddhism, Hare Krishna or any other. I'm guessing it wouldn't because it would be viewed as suppression/oppression because of the status that Christians have at the moment because they are the larger more influential community.

Anyways, no harm done. It was just a question to see how others felt and viewed the situation.

And to the person who posted the issue of ad clicks—he could easily be donating that money to charity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules