Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Now I Remember Why I Hate Linux.

Now I Remember Why I Hate Linux.
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 06:22 AM

The other day I installed Ubuntu on the girlfriend's Dell Inspiron after she got sick of Windows ME constantly crashing and having to disinfect her system (read: casual user who doesn't know better). After having to find someone with the same laptop because she somehow misplaced/lost her CD-ROM swappable drive, I was able to get Ubuntu onto it.

Simple, right? It saw all of the hardware during the install.

The next problem? She had no internet connection...well she just didn't wanted to bother giving me the ethernet cable from her wireless router so that I could plug it into the Dell. No problem; manually configure the network later.

Well, the Internet just won't work on the machine. It insists on seeing 'lo' (local loopback) with eth0 (aka en0) nowhere to be found. I'm so frustrated with it that I've practically given up on it and will just relegate it to light non-network related work.

Now I remember why I have a Mac to begin with. I don't have to fight with hardware/software conflicts. Then again, at least I don't have to clean up her machine for her and rid it of trojans and worms.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 09:33 AM

You should dump her for a girl with an iBook.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 10:06 AM

Keep her and buy her an iBook!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 10:41 AM

Get "Linux for Dummies"

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 11:07 AM

iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 11:14 AM

"Linux is only free if your time has no value."

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 7, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
One could say the same about Windows lately with all it's adware and spyware.

galarneau
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 11:39 AM

The Dell probably has a wireless card that isn't supported under linux.

You can work around this by using the NDIS wrapper that will essentially use the Windows drivers under Linux.

Look here:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/Ubuntu

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2006, 11:39 AM

...and one investment you should make is into which current Linux distributions are doing what lately. I've only heard of Ubuntu in relation to Macs (and haven't bothered to do more than know I've heard the name). On the other hand, I have recent experience with distro like Linspire (I 100% recommend this one!) and Knoppix (also a great one). Linspire is designed to make Windows users feel right at home, it's commercial but inexpensive, and it's well supported. Knoppix is free, somewhat more Mac-like, and lacks the extensive support but is still pretty easy to set up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

I wish you all the best with your decision. Linux is the language used at my ISP for my website, very happy with the service.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

I wish you all the best with your decision. Linux is the language used at my ISP for my website, very happy with the service.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
One could say the same about Windows lately with all it's adware and spyware.
Windows is free?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2006, 12:05 PM

Windows is free?
Sort of-when it comes installed on a new computer, most people think of it as "free." On the other hand, taking ANY protective measures makes Kevin's point less significant. By simply installing an antivirus program, even a free one, and turning (or leaving) on the Windows firewall, the user is no longer "at risk of total destruction," as he would be with no protection. New PCs today usually come with AV installed and active, so unless the user actively stops it (or fails to update it), then it's safe.

Of course manic link-clickers who get overwhelmed with adware and spyware are their own worst enemies, but that's a different issue...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

Wow. thats a great quote, perfectly describes what i think of Linux as a desktop OS.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
The other day I installed Ubuntu on the girlfriend's Dell Inspiron after she got sick of Windows ME constantly crashing and having to disinfect her system (read: casual user who doesn't know better). After having to find someone with the same laptop because she somehow misplaced/lost her CD-ROM swappable drive, I was able to get Ubuntu onto it.

Simple, right? It saw all of the hardware during the install.

The next problem? She had no internet connection...well she just didn't wanted to bother giving me the ethernet cable from her wireless router so that I could plug it into the Dell. No problem; manually configure the network later.

Well, the Internet just won't work on the machine. It insists on seeing 'lo' (local loopback) with eth0 (aka en0) nowhere to be found. I'm so frustrated with it that I've practically given up on it and will just relegate it to light non-network related work.

Now I remember why I have a Mac to begin with. I don't have to fight with hardware/software conflicts. Then again, at least I don't have to clean up her machine for her and rid it of trojans and worms.

Reinstall Ubuntu. I put Ubuntu on my Inspiron 8600 and it was able to go online via wifi and ethernet. And that was the first time I ever used Linux. Maybe her eth0 port is defective...

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Sort of-when it comes installed on a new computer, most people think of it as "free." On the other hand, taking ANY protective measures makes Kevin's point less significant. By simply installing an antivirus program, even a free one, and turning (or leaving) on the Windows firewall, the user is no longer "at risk of total destruction," as he would be with no protection. New PCs today usually come with AV installed and active, so unless the user actively stops it (or fails to update it), then it's safe.

Of course manic link-clickers who get overwhelmed with adware and spyware are their own worst enemies, but that's a different issue...
At one time I would have agreed. But I have seen far too many people that DO know what they are doing, and do take precautions getting ad-ware and spyware on their computer.

Windows is a sludge.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 12:54 PM

How did you decide on Ubuntu? I just installed Linux on my IBM Thinkpad (700, 233 MMX, 128 meg ram, 4 gig HD) about a week ago. I spent some time downloading and burning CD bootable "flavors", gave them a try and then decided which worked best for this hardware and my wireless network. Just so you know, I had the same problem with Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a lot of good features, a pleasing interface and many fans. Unfortunately it was not the best "flavor" for me. I ended up installing Mepis Lite. I tried both Simply Mepis and Mepis Lite and both worked great. I was surfing the net within 5 minutes. I had NO manual configuration chages to make. It worked. I chose the Lite version due to the age of my hardware and limited resources.

I know this is a Mac forum, and yes, do go buy her an iBook. If that is not an option, then try some other flavors of Linux.
macforray

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 01:13 PM

I hate when people say this because it totally misses the point. The "free" in Linux is free as in freedom, not free as in cost.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by zizban
The "free" in Linux is free as in freedom, not free as in cost.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 04:28 PM

I don't mind Linux itself. X11 OTOH, is teh suck.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 04:44 PM

I hate when people say this because it totally misses the point. The "free" in Linux is free as in freedom, not free as in cost.
That made sense after I thought about it for a while.

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Reinstall Ubuntu. I put Ubuntu on my Inspiron 8600 and it was able to go online via wifi and ethernet. And that was the first time I ever used Linux. Maybe her eth0 port is defective...

Turns out something indeed borked during the installation. Then for some reason, once eth0 was recognized, it wouldn't switch over from the local loopback. Once I reset my cable modem and a restart the port was getting a connection and I could surf the web. Well eventually I got everything working once I hunted down missing dependencies for other stuff and enough hours of frustration. Her Dell now runs smoothly.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
My girlfriend came pre-installed with an iBook.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
My girlfriend came pre-installed with an iBook.
I already converted my girlfriend, but her iBook is elsewhere at the moment, which is why I had to work with the Dell.

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by macforray
How did you decide on Ubuntu?
Basically word of mouth. Friends have sung praises about it being a lot better than the likes of Red Hat and Debian because it was easy to install and maintain. Reading different forums and sites, it appeared to be a mixed bag since some zealots looked down on Ubuntu as a noob's linux while others praised it for being potentially close to becoming LOTD (Linux on the Desktop).

My girlfriend's sister's ex installed Red Hat on their old PC and I had to come in eventually and clean up the mess after it wouldn't work with some things. Not to mention that powering down was a PITA (yes, I know, it was never meant to be shut down often). I figured since Ubuntu was a noob's Linux for those who don't like having to tinker much and just use it for work as a Windows replacement, it must have been appropriate for the girlfriend.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Basically word of mouth. Friends have sung praises about it being a lot better than the likes of Red Hat and Debian because it was easy to install and maintain. Reading different forums and sites, it appeared to be a mixed bag since some zealots looked down on Ubuntu as a noob's linux while others praised it for being potentially close to becoming LOTD (Linux on the Desktop).

My girlfriend's sister's ex installed Red Hat on their old PC and I had to come in eventually and clean up the mess after it wouldn't work with some things. Not to mention that powering down was a PITA (yes, I know, it was never meant to be shut down often). I figured since Ubuntu was a noob's Linux for those who don't like having to tinker much and just use it for work as a Windows replacement, it must have been appropriate for the girlfriend.
Fair enough. I would recommend to anyone out there with older hardware, or even newer hardware who HATE Windoze, to check out www.distrowatch.com. It contains the latest news and updates to most Linux distributions. There is a lot of good hardware out there that just needs a good, reliable OS. It may not be Mac, but it isn't Microsoft either.

Glad everything worked out.
macforray

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 09:16 PM

Luckily we gays always use Apple, because so many of us fit the Mac user profile perfectly: broken-spirited hipsters who drown their sorrow in coffee at Starbucks while using an iBook.

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by macforray
Fair enough. I would recommend to anyone out there with older hardware, or even newer hardware who HATE Windoze, to check out www.distrowatch.com. It contains the latest news and updates to most Linux distributions. There is a lot of good hardware out there that just needs a good, reliable OS. It may not be Mac, but it isn't Microsoft either.

Glad everything worked out.
Agreed. I'll still take Mac OS X over Linux since with a Mac everything just works™, but Windows is at the bottom of the barrel in my books. Especially ME (I feel sorry for anyone who had that crap pre-installed).

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 09:35 PM

I'm sure most people have seen this but I just came across it today while rearranging my bookmarks and thought it appropriate for this thread.

http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

BTW, I do like Linux but it's got a looong way to go to catch up to OS X. Just my humble opinion.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 09:56 PM

Nothings free....even freedom.

I tried Ubuntu on a powerbook, it was OK but just didn't seem finished and took forever to bootup. I didn't see the point and canned it.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules