Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3 vs Camino

View Poll Results: which one is faster Safari 3 or Camino
Poll Options:
Safari 3 33 votes (76.74%)
Camino 10 votes (23.26%)
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll
Safari 3 vs Camino
pedroperez80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 08:33 PM

Safari 3 vs Camino, which one is faster?

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 10:02 PM

Omniweb 5.5, sorry

I find Safari 3 faster on my PPC and Intel computers...
My Blog-pakos.me

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 10:20 PM

I somewhat have to agree with Safari, its just a very powerful minimalistic web browser with no nonsense features and a simple and easy to understand interface. But for the record I have tried Camino, and I really liked it.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 12:24 AM

I would prefer Safari if it didn't load my pages about half the time... when it doesn't work I use firefox. Speed isn't my biggest preference, since firefox has a 100% rate of loading a page and Safari is about 60%, I don't care if it's like dial-up.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2007, 10:13 AM

I have been a dedicated Camino user for about the last 3-4 yrs, but I do like the new safari - its fast.

I have had some small issues with camino - the "Today" module on my.yahoo has always showed up with garbled text in camino, but works fine in firefox and safari. Also, when I load my netvibes page in Camino it locks up the processor and SLOWS down...I think its a particular module...may be a flash or javascipt issue that I havent pinned down yet, but Safari 3 handles it fine.

I haven't used Safari regularly in years, but I've been using it more lately since v.3 Its pretty nice. Camino is still my favorite for general browsing tho.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 09:43 PM

I've tried every browser out there, but I just keep coming back to Firefox. If Camino had RSS support, though, I'd definitely use it full time.
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 10:45 PM

Let's compare a beta (second version) with an established browser? Hmm, ok. Safari 3, still and not even gold.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2007, 08:52 AM

I hope everyone is using Camino 1.5.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

dru
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by crazyjohnson View Post
I hope everyone is using Camino 1.5.
And Safari 3 is still faster.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Remxed
Jun 27, 2007, 05:20 PM

for me on a 15 megbit down connection there practically is no difference. I just tend to like lightweight apps so i'm going with camino.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Remxed View Post
for me on a 15 megbit down connection there practically is no difference. I just tend to like lightweight apps so i'm going with camino.
Camino is 52.6 MB in size while Safari is 20.1 MB and WebKit-Framework is 8.2 MB which makes a total of 28.3 MB. So in what sense is Camino "lightweight"?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 05:48 PM

Why do a survey when there are benchmarks available for browsers?

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 01:07 AM

My vote went for Safari. It does seem faster than Camino. While the new features in Camino 1.5 are pretty nice, It doesn't display text properly or at all on form pages or login pages. That's a deal-buster for me.

Safari Beta 3.0.2 has been very stable so far for me.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 02:41 AM

I am very satisfied with Safari. It's quick and has a good interface, good design, and no thicket of options I'd possibly never use.

Somebody mentioned the word "minimalistic". Good word. Describes Safari as a no-nonsense and esthetically advanced piece of software.

I tried Opera, and still use it from time to time. The tabs are a good thing, but I don't really miss them in Safari.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 03:01 AM

I dropped Chimera when it changed its name to Camino and Apple announced a new browser coming soon. The feature I followed closely was tabbed browsing because it was the coolest thing. Firefox was not fully developed at the time and Camino loaded websites faster than Internet Explorer 5 (the default that came with Mac OS X for a while).
I think the most significant changes that came to Safari is when it went from public beta to final in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and added a few featured in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. We have tabbed browsing, pop up blocker, snapback, RSS reader, easy to access history and bookmark viewer, search bar, font size increase/decrease, and so on.
I don't think Camino is much of a competitor anymore in the web browser arena. Even OmniWeb and Opera are not among the top browsers that Mac and Windows users download. The top competitors are Firefox and Internet Explorer. While Safari remains a beta in its third release there is so much complaining. Now I wonder which Windows users did the beta testing for Firefox?

Forum Links
Forum Rules