Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Switching Bootcamp<>Parallels for same XP install??

Switching Bootcamp<>Parallels for same XP install??
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 12:42 PM

Has anyone tried moving back and forth between Bootcamp and Parallels booting off a Bootcamp install of XP? This didn't work well in the last beta but does it work now ? I don't want to ruin my Bootcamp bootablility by testing it in Parallels.
( Last edited by WizOSX; Dec 26, 2006 at 02:17 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 09:00 PM

Read up here; it seems that a lot of people are having decent results. I should think that CarbonCopy Cloner would do a decent job of imaging the Windows partition (Bombich doesn't say it won't work) , and anyway backing that up is a Good Idea™ no matter what, PARTICULARLY with Windows. So make a backup of that partition and give it a shot. Then tell us how it works-I bet it'll work fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 11:57 AM

Definitely post back if you do. I rely on my Boot Camp partition for critical work (income-generating) so I'm not about to mess with it at the moment, but it would be nice to know.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 11:44 PM

I'm on vacation right now and won't be back to my intel iMac until Wednesday. But I'll give it a try then.

BTW--using my 12" G4 Powerbook right now--always impressed when I use it again what a great machine it is!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 11:50 PM

Can a file in the MacOS partition be accessed from the Windows installation, and visa-versa?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 10:08 AM

^^ as far as I know you can't access a Mac OS X partition from Windows without using MacDrive or similar. You can however access a Windows partition from OS X if you formatted it as FAT32.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 12:15 PM

I tried going back and forth between booting my Bootcamp partition through Bootcamp and then through Parallels. Works fine so far (your mileage may vary). Only glitch is that each time I boot in Parallels I keep getting the box in XP saying that Parallels tools is being loaded. After a while the box disappears and all is normal. I guess just a small beta glitch since I doubt it really is reinstalling tools each time.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 02:58 PM

Did you notice any problems with your Boot Camp partition so far (i.e., when booted into Windows)?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 08:42 PM

No problems so far. I've booted into Bootcamp directly, printed from MSOffice, played some games, etc. Nothing mission-critcal, but fine so far.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 09:49 PM

From Bootcamp, you don't want Windows accessing your OS X partition directly. If Windows gets a destructive virus, you could end up corrupting your OS X partition.

Formatting Boorcamp as FAT32 so that you can access from OS X is a much better solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules