Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VRAM 128 or 64?

VRAM 128 or 64?
Conor Dearden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 08:35 PM

Fellow Mac users that know it all,

I was wondering what the gain would be of upgrading to the 128 card? Will it make a difference? Is it worth the 50 bucks? Will it deplete my battery faster and heat up my powerbook? As a side note an answer to the last two questions regarding the 5400rpm drive too, would be appreciated. I want to be more informed before buying a new powerbook?

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:44 PM

If you game or monitor span it will definitely help. If you do any hard drive intensive tasks the faster hard drive will help.

The other thing to think about is that because laptops aren't upgradable you should always "future proof" them when you buy them as much as possible. An extra $100 to get double the video ram and a faster hard drive will only extend the life of your machine, plus increase the resell value down the road.

Cheers!

James

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:47 PM

I know we're (mostly) excited about the new PowerBooks, but look for threads before starting a new topic.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 02:13 AM

to me, the extra vram is a no brainer at that price.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 02:25 AM

Worth the $50.

And an increase in VRAM would have as much of a detrimental effect on your PowerBook as additional RAM: None.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

onaujee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 02:56 AM

i agree, these upgrades are a no-brainer. for $100, it makes waaay better.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 06:01 AM

Re: "futureproof"
Since the bus, cpu speed etc etc. do not grow with [this] update, I don't think this actually increases the machines usability time.
Also - what about more heat, lesser battery time...?
Of course I have to agree, the price is nice.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Powerbook:
Re: "futureproof"
Since the bus, cpu speed etc etc. do not grow with [this] update, I don't think this actually increases the machines usability time.
Also - what about more heat, lesser battery time...?
Of course I have to agree, the price is nice.

PB.

I disagree,

I am currently typing this on my old iBook G3 600mhz machine. I run a web design business off this laptop, and for about 4 hours a day I run Photoshop, Flash, BBEdit, about 6 browsers, iMovie, and iPhoto, etc.

BUT, it only has a 20GB harddrive and 8, count 'em, 8 mb of video ram.

So, where my machine is completely dependable for my day to day tasks, I long ago started running out of hard drive space and, more importantly, have not been able to play any decent games on it for a long time.

1.5Ghz is a decent processor speed. Heavy duty graphic apps (3D games, Maya, etc) will require more video ram long before they require more processor speed.

For the price, maxing out your ram, vram, and hard drive gives your machine those extra legs to stand on a couple of years from now.

Cheers!

James

Conor Dearden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 02:09 PM

You have all cleared it up for me, if I can squeeze out an extra year out of the computer down the road, because of the upgrades, then it's worth the money. I can hold out for the G6, in 4 years, when apple makes us wait for that one to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules