Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Call of Duty... Amazing!

Call of Duty... Amazing!
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 07:04 PM

I just got Call of Duty today and I'm so addicted to it already. Everything is so extremely well-done. The performance on my Quicksilver 867 w/ ATI 9800 is just unbelievable, really. Everything is silky smooth even though the setting are at med/high and my setup being the minimum requirement.

Just wow... This put Medal of Honor to shame BIG time.

Anyone else got it yet?

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 07:19 PM

Agreed. I also got it today. I already beat the entire American campaign and am in the middle of the British one . This game is just amazing, it truly makes it feel like you are there. In detailed parts of single player levels though, it lags to ~25fps. But, that's rather rare.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Also agreed.

The game, as I anticipated, runs flawlessly on my Dual 1.40 QuickSilver with a GeForce 4MX 64MB. But I hadn't anticipated that the single player game play would be so enthralling.

Definately a game that was worth the wait.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2004, 09:13 PM

Medal of Honor will always have a place in my heart, somewhere small and in the corner though.

Call of Duty is an absolute master piece, 'nuff said.

PS I was telling people on another Mac forum a long time ago (before CoD was announced for mac), that Call of Duty beats the crap outa MoH:AA, they all reacted like I was crazy and said "how could anything be better then medal of honor?" Well I guess I showed them, or rather the people who made CoD showed them...

k2director
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 10:02 PM

The team that made CoD **also** made Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Or at least a lot of them did....ie, the production leads and some other original MoH team members jumped ship from EA, and got Activision to back their next game, which became Call of Duty.

Anyway, if you like the American and British missions, you're going to LOVE the Soviet ones. It's in the Soviet scenarios that the game truly hits its stride--the battle for Stalingrad, the tank battles on the way to Berlin, and finally Berlin itself. Enjoy!

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
Medal of Honor will always have a place in my heart, somewhere small and in the corner though.

Call of Duty is an absolute master piece, 'nuff said.

PS I was telling people on another Mac forum a long time ago (before CoD was announced for mac), that Call of Duty beats the crap outa MoH:AA, they all reacted like I was crazy and said "how could anything be better then medal of honor?" Well I guess I showed them, or rather the people who made CoD showed them...

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 11:29 PM

I have the game on the Mac, but beat it on my PC many months ago. Great game.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 05:59 PM

Damn you all are making me want this game... I was gonna wait a few weeks.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 06:17 PM

Agreed CoD is a freaking sweet game. Haven't played the Mac version (my iBook sucks for games) but no matter what platform the game rocks.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Agreed CoD is a freaking sweet game. Haven't played the Mac version (my iBook sucks for games) but no matter what platform the game rocks.
You might wanna give CoD a try on your iBook. It is based off of the Quake III engine, so it runs well on pretty much all modern hardware.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

dole
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 07:35 PM

Is the Mac version of Call of Duty still at 1.3 or have they patched it yet? It seems the amount of servers Macs can join would be low because the PC version is at 1.4.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 07:35 PM

Still at 1.3...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

underwood
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 08:13 PM

i need cheats...and i dunno how to enable it. the pc cheat wouldn't work cos it involves adding stuff like "+set sv_cheats 1" to the .exe.

sigh...

derekn
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by dole:
Is the Mac version of Call of Duty still at 1.3 or have they patched it yet? It seems the amount of servers Macs can join would be low because the PC version is at 1.4.
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/i...ate=2004-05-17

1.4 patch should be out soon according to Glenda Adams.

I can't wait to get my copy. Should be here tomorrow I believe. I'm glad to hear it performs well on so many systems.

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by underwood:
i need cheats...and i dunno how to enable it. the pc cheat wouldn't work cos it involves adding stuff like "+set sv_cheats 1" to the .exe.

sigh...
With recent Q3 engine games I've had to enable certain cheats with command line parameters. The Mac versions allow a couple of different ways of doing that. Here are some generic instructions for some of the newer Q3 engine games, including CoD.

1st method, the txt file method (I prefer this method)

With Jedi Academy, Medal of Honor:AA, and Elite Force II you can create an autoexec.cfg file and put it in the data folder (base for JA and EFII, main for MoHAA)

If you read the CoD readme it makes mention of a CoDParms.txt file you need to create and put in the same folder as the game app. With the release version of CoD you'll actually have to use MacCoDParms.txt. For Spearhead you would make a file called MacMOHParms.txt (yes, MohHAA and Spearhead require two separate ways to enable cheats).

In that *Parms.txt or autoexec.cfg files you can paste in the command line parms (do a web or http://www.GameFAQs.com search for the params). The general format looks something like this:

set cmdlinevar1 1
set cmdlinevar2 2
set cmdlinevar3 3

2nd method, the shift key method.
In many of the recent Q3 games you can bring up a command line of sorts by launching the Q3 engine game (like MoH or JK:JA) and immediately hold down shift. A dialog box will pop up where you put in cmd line vars in this format

+set cmdlinevar1 1 +set cmdlinevar2 2 +set cmdlinevar3 3

I think you have to do this everytime you start which is why I prefer the text file cmd line parms.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 20, 2004, 11:52 PM

I downloaded it to see how it ran. I like it so far, and I might buy it... if I ever need a game. Right now I'm happly pirating HALO. Once I beat that I havea few PS2 games to finish up, and by then COD should be cheap, right?

Anyway, here's my main bitch: How do I set the rez to 1440 X 900? Is it possible???

- Rob

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by selfabduction68:
I downloaded it to see how it ran. I like it so far, and I might buy it... if I ever need a game. Right now I'm happly pirating HALO. Once I beat that I havea few PS2 games to finish up, and by then COD should be cheap, right?

Anyway, here's my main bitch: How do I set the rez to 1440 X 900? Is it possible???

- Rob
Come on man, that's not cool, don't pirate CoD. They put a lot of work into that game, and there'll be a demo out soon, don't support these pirate people. You "like it so far"?! Have you read the outstanding reviews?! Of course this game will be good! You "might buy it" that better be a joke or i'lll cut off your balls and stuff them in your mouth.

James L
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by selfabduction68:

- Rob

Or you could be honest, not a slimey thief, and pay for the product so the software designers who coded it will get paid to write another game.

I love how some people think because software is "virtual" that they are not stealing. How these people think software companies will continue to port games to the Mac if they are not making any money on them is beyond me.

...flame away!

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2004, 04:59 AM

Also, I'm having a little trouble with the people who want to use the cheat codes, when the game has only been out for 2 days? Sheesh...is it that you're giving up early, or it was so easy you're done already and want to screw around in God mode? Either way...why is using cheats so fascinating?

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 21, 2004, 05:51 AM

How`s Multiplayer?
Are there different classes like in RTCW?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

underwood
Forum Regular
May 21, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Madison:
Also, I'm having a little trouble with the people who want to use the cheat codes, when the game has only been out for 2 days? Sheesh...is it that you're giving up early, or it was so easy you're done already and want to screw around in God mode? Either way...why is using cheats so fascinating?
I'm stuck in this mission. Stupid Truckride mission. I just don't wanna play it over and over again just cuz i can't snipe fast enough.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
How`s Multiplayer?
Are there different classes like in RTCW?
I have to admit that multiplayer isn't as great as I've thought.. No CTF, Assault-like mission, driving vehicles, etc

But single-player is easily worth the $50

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I have to admit that multiplayer isn't as great as I've thought.. No CTF, Assault-like mission, driving vehicles, etc

But single-player is easily worth the $50
Is it just deathmatch . If so that kinda sucks.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 02:34 PM

Okay I picked up Call of Duty last night and, as advertised, it's a great game. Buy it!

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
You might wanna give CoD a try on your iBook. It is based off of the Quake III engine, so it runs well on pretty much all modern hardware.
Cool I might download the demo if there is one and give it a shot on my iBook. But no reason to go out and buy another copy when I got the Windows version, unless of course I sell my custom gaming PC and all my games and go 100% Mac again
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Turias
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Is it just deathmatch . If so that kinda sucks.
Well, there are a few different multiplayer games. There's deathmatch, team deathmatch, search and destroy, retrieval, and maybe one other. It's no UT2004, but then again, UT2004 was specifically designed for multiplayer.

A few of my friends and I have had great times playing CoD together. It's a great game and definitely worth the cash.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 03:52 PM

Well guess I won't try the Mac version. There isn't a demo to try for the Mac. The requirements say G4/G5 867MHz processor. Don't think my G3 900MHz equals a G4 at almost the same speeds. Wonder why they didn't release a demo for the Mac version. Sure Windows has a demo and the Windows full version has been out for awhile and it's a port so basically it's the same game but different platform but still a demo would be nice to see how the game peforms on Macs before going out and laying down $50 for a game that might not work or not perform like you would want it to on your Mac. Just because it runs great on a 3GHz PC with 1GB of RAM doesn't mean that it would be playable on a say low end Mac like my iBook.

Any with a G3 900MHz iBook out there that has played CoD on it? How is it? What's your fps like? Do you like playing on the iBooks screen?

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Well guess I won't try the Mac version. There isn't a demo to try for the Mac. The requirements say G4/G5 867MHz processor. Don't think my G3 900MHz equals a G4 at almost the same speeds. Wonder why they didn't release a demo for the Mac version. Sure Windows has a demo and the Windows full version has been out for awhile and it's a port so basically it's the same game but different platform but still a demo would be nice to see how the game peforms on Macs before going out and laying down $50 for a game that might not work or not perform like you would want it to on your Mac. Just because it runs great on a 3GHz PC with 1GB of RAM doesn't mean that it would be playable on a say low end Mac like my iBook.

Any with a G3 900MHz iBook out there that has played CoD on it? How is it? What's your fps like? Do you like playing on the iBooks screen?
I read somewhere at Insidemacgames that a demo for call of duty is coming soon and that IMG will have a CoD demo on their IMG demo dvd collection as well.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 04:46 PM

As MacGallant mentioned, a CoD demo is coming soon. It was finished sometime before E3 but Aspyr has been waiting for Activision to approve it before they can release it. Activision approval times can be long.

djjava
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 05:42 PM

CoD is the first game i've ever bought for my Powerbook.. I've gotten through about 3 or 4 missions so far, and i'm loving it!
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

mowogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 05:48 PM

I got CoD last Thursday and have been playing it off and on over the last week. All in all it's like a major update to MoHAA (which is basically what it is) with better graphics and new maps. An odd thing tho, is the inability to open any doors in CoD. MoHAA has had this feature since the beginning and I kind of expected that in CoD. Other than that it's great, both single player and multiplayer. Works extremely well on my 1.8 G5. It has crashed out twice on me, which was a big surprise each time. My major problem now is beating the British Airfield level where I keep knocking out the Stukas with the flak gun only to be killed by a gunner on the Roof!
Can't wait for the 1.4 patch. There's only about a dozen servers out there with anybody on them.
Next week MoHBreakthrough gets released. That'll be another good one.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 05:49 PM

tell me more about multiplayer!

Better than, worse than RTCW? Classes? Objectives? What gives?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

djjava
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 05:51 PM

i kind of wish the literature had more in it... it seems a bit tight. I'd offer more but I dont have the book in front of me right now.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
I read somewhere at Insidemacgames that a demo for call of duty is coming soon and that IMG will have a CoD demo on their IMG demo dvd collection as well.
Guess I'll keep an eye out for it then. Thanks for the info.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2004, 07:31 PM

Multiplayer CoD modes are Search and Destroy, DM, TDM, and Headquaters. Search and Destroy is just a TDM match when everyone has one life, Headquarters is weird, and I can't really expalin since no servers run it. There are no classes, just same type of multiplayer as MoH. Choose your weapon and fight, whats cool is all the bodies & their weapons stay for a long time. You can carry 2 large weapons and 1 pistol at a time.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 21, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
Come on man, that's not cool, don't pirate CoD. They put a lot of work into that game, and there'll be a demo out soon, don't support these pirate people. You "like it so far"?! Have you read the outstanding reviews?! Of course this game will be good! You "might buy it" that better be a joke or i'lll cut off your balls and stuff them in your mouth.
No, I downloaded it and played the first level. Haven't played it since. It's alright... the level load times are little long.... and the 1st level was a little short. It seems okay. When the price comes down I might buy it. But honestly I don't have time for it...... I just wanted to know if it'd be worht checking out in the future.

- Rob

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 21, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Or you could be honest, not a slimey thief, and pay for the product so the software designers who coded it will get paid to write another game.

I love how some people think because software is "virtual" that they are not stealing. How these people think software companies will continue to port games to the Mac if they are not making any money on them is beyond me.

...flame away!
>shrug< Yeah, I d/l'd it illegal. I don't see a demo anywhere. Anyway, if I ever have the hunch to play it, I'll buy it.

- Rob

JeffHarris
May 21, 2004, 11:02 PM

I must say, Code of Honor is MUCH better than MOH. It just feels more real. It's not on the level of realism as Ghost Recon, but very good nevertheless.

I'm running it on a 1ghz Titanium PowerBook with 1GB RAM and it does okay. There are a few times when the action gets intense and there are major stutters on screen, but not too bad.

GET IT! It's absolutely worth $50.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Is it just deathmatch. If so that kinda sucks.
Right now (ver 1.3) there's only deathmatch and team dm which can be very boring.

Once ver 1.4 come out, we'll be able to play some more modes such as:

Behind Enemy Lines - trying to stay alive and kill as many Axis players as possible
Retrieval - retrieve documents from the enemy and return it
Search & Destroy - A team must destroy one of several objectives while the other team strives to defend the objectives (Assault-like)
Headquarters - Each team must locate and capture a randomly-placed radio

I'm looking forward to those modes but I doubt 1.4 will come out anytime soon

Oh, I should mention that the multiplayer in v.1.3, there's so many cheaters it's not funny

nycdunz
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 02:54 AM

the cheat doesnt work, i tried making those 2 files that you metioned with the proper set sv_cheats 1 and seta sv_cheats 1 and no go...

i made 2 txt files, one for mac and the other the regular one and stuck both in my root folder of the main game executable...

does anyone else know how to activate cheats for this game?

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
the cheat doesnt work, i tried making those 2 files that you metioned with the proper set sv_cheats 1 and seta sv_cheats 1 and no go...

i made 2 txt files, one for mac and the other the regular one and stuck both in my root folder of the main game executable...

does anyone else know how to activate cheats for this game?
You only need one for CoD, MacCoDParms.txt. Did you do a web search (try the gamefaq link I included) for the exact command line paramters you need to pass or did you only try sv_cheats? You need more than that.

fraeone
May 22, 2004, 01:14 PM

I haven't played the Mac version (My PC has an ATI 9700 Pro which beats out the Geforce fx 5200 in my PB) but Call of Duty has by far the best single player WWII campaign in any game.

If you liked MOH:AA, CoD is everything that was and a whole lot more.

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Right now (ver 1.3) there's only deathmatch and team dm which can be very boring.

Once ver 1.4 come out, we'll be able to play some more modes such as:

Behind Enemy Lines - trying to stay alive and kill as many Axis players as possible
Retrieval - retrieve documents from the enemy and return it
Search & Destroy - A team must destroy one of several objectives while the other team strives to defend the objectives (Assault-like)
Headquarters - Each team must locate and capture a randomly-placed radio

I'm looking forward to those modes but I doubt 1.4 will come out anytime soon

Oh, I should mention that the multiplayer in v.1.3, there's so many cheaters it's not funny
All those game modes are in 1.3, and there are servers up, but all of the active servers have upgraded to 1.4. So, technically, if you get enough people to join one of the existing 1.3 servers, you can check out some of the other game modes.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2004, 10:46 AM

I have a 1GHz 12" PowerBook with a 5200Go (32MB DDR). Has anybody here played it on a similar Mac? Can anybody tell me what the game will run like? I don't need 200fps, but I definitely don't want any lag.

And what about multiplayer mode? How does it compare to MPM in UT?

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I have a 1GHz 12" PowerBook with a 5200Go (32MB DDR). Has anybody here played it on a similar Mac? Can anybody tell me what the game will run like? I don't need 200fps, but I definitely don't want any lag.

And what about multiplayer mode? How does it compare to MPM in UT?
I'd like to know about the Rev. B 12" PB as well. It is at or above the min. requirements so hopefully it will play well.
MacBook Pro

Rand
Forum Regular
May 23, 2004, 10:39 PM

I'm stuck in this mission. Stupid Truckride mission. I just don't wanna play it over and over again just cuz i can't snipe fast enough.
hey underwood... look below you while you're in the truck and pick up a few of the rocket launchers. They help a bit.

And don't worry about the men on the ground, only go for the ones in the truck with the rocket launchers themselves.

got stuck there a bit myself.

underwood
Forum Regular
May 23, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Rand:
hey underwood... look below you while you're in the truck and pick up a few of the rocket launchers. They help a bit.

And don't worry about the men on the ground, only go for the ones in the truck with the rocket launchers themselves.

got stuck there a bit myself.
but that dude that's suppose to hand me the rockets went to the bridge to fix a bomb or something. i'm suppose to not let the enemy pass the bridge by using a sniper rifle (that dude gave me that).

nycdunz
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 02:01 AM

im stuck on that level also, arghhh, is there a way i can skip that level by editing the config.cfg file? sigh, its pissin me off..

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
im stuck on that level also, arghhh, is there a way i can skip that level by editing the config.cfg file? sigh, its pissin me off..
If you are talking about the level I think you are talking about (I beat this game on my PC a while ago so my memory is bad)... Make sure you hit the guy with the rocket launcher FIRST. Focus on that guy and you will be okay.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

jfinete
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 09:03 PM

but that dude that's suppose to hand me the rockets went to the bridge to fix a bomb or something. i'm suppose to not let the enemy pass the bridge by using a sniper rifle (that dude gave me that).
At that point, you need to snipe any Germans that try to cross the bridge. You don't have to kill every single one, just enough to give your buddy time to fix the bomb. There's another sniper level later in the game, you may as well learn how to do it now.

If you suceed, he'll come back to the truck, and you'll start moving again. Then you do the rocket luncher bit a second time. When a German truck pulls up along side of you, that's when you switch to your SMG and kill the Nazi with the rocket launcher.

underwood
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by jfinete:
At that point, you need to snipe any Germans that try to cross the bridge. You don't have to kill every single one, just enough to give your buddy time to fix the bomb. There's another sniper level later in the game, you may as well learn how to do it now.

If you suceed, he'll come back to the truck, and you'll start moving again. Then you do the rocket luncher bit a second time. When a German truck pulls up along side of you, that's when you switch to your SMG and kill the Nazi with the rocket launcher.
i know what i'm suppose to do, but they always manage to cross somehow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules