Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ProLCD 1.1

[ANN] ProLCD 1.1
phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 08:27 PM

From MacThemes.net: ProLCD has been updated to version 1.1 by Harlan Lewis at DigitalRamen. The new version brings updates to several elements including arrow buttons, async arrows, and combo boxes, and also includes updated iTunes and Quicktime skins and LCD variant menu items. ProLCD was the second place winner in the MacThemes.net Mockup Contest, and was designed by Harold Harmon. The package includes fifteen desktops, three cursor sets, and an Adium skin by various artists.

Download ProLCD

Full release notes (updated elements):

- arrow buttons
- async arrows (the circular loading thing)
- combo boxes
- font panel
- image well
- iTunes
- LCD variant menu extras
- metal buttons
- popup buttons
- Quicktime
- scroll bars and arrows
- segment tabs
- segment buttons
- sliders

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 09:49 PM

:: crickets cheerping ::

dole
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
I think the crickets are more excited about this theme than I am.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by dole:
I think the crickets are more excited about this theme than I am.
Hehe, very interesting, considering that there was a great deal of excitement/positive reviews for 1.0. I'm hoping all you updaters are quietly satisfied?

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 11:05 PM

Where are the other dam* themes? I thought the winners had to work 2 months with the themers. They should be disqualified for contract breech >:/

Oh well, <sarcasm>Pro LCD 1.1...yeah! </sarcasm>

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Odinn Zero Five
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
*Cheerp* Thank you very much for the update! Great work! *Cheerp*
Peace.

sanguine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 11:20 PM

Does a girl have to come out of lurkerdom for this?

Well, shoot, woohoo on the update! ProLCD is my current theme and I'm happy to see it. =)

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 11:50 PM

Cool, I may just use this theme full time now with the better iTunes skin and Async arrows. Thanks wibs (and Phill and Harold)!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 01:13 AM

* cries * Where's the light blue backlight version?
It's a great theme other than the fact that I hate the LCD yellowish color.
click one

BurningBright
Jun 2, 2004, 02:46 AM

argh! Bluetooth rears it's ugly head yet again! I wish more people had bluetooth and used address book...

Hah, actually a very minor gripe in a very well done theme/update, but hey - this one seems to be missed in many themes, so I thought I'd mention it.
I have no credentials whatsoever to post here.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 03:06 AM

Hmm...

BurningBright I didn't remember skipping over that button, so I just checked in ThemePark. It's not even showing up, so it must have slipped through the cracks when the Address Book part of the ThemePark was being coded. I'll be sure to let smeger know next time I see him online.

Thanks for the bug report!
DigitalRamen sucks.

SLam
Jun 2, 2004, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
* cries * Where's the light blue backlight version?
It's a great theme other than the fact that I hate the LCD yellowish color.
Ditto! It's a pretty theme. But I just don't like the green/yellow. Please make a blue variation.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
Where are the other dam* themes? I thought the winners had to work 2 months with the themers. They should be disqualified for contract breech >:/

Oh well, <sarcasm>Pro LCD 1.1...yeah! </sarcasm>
Well, a couple of the artists have been swamped in other work, yet are still plugging on with their themes. A couple themers have hit up on ShapeShifter issues and their themes are basically delayed until the next version of ShapeShifter. One theme (Half Life) should to be started to be fully worked on soon, now that Harlan is available. All in all, there is going to be a bit of a wait until the next release, but I think it'll be a very enjoyable package!

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 06:45 AM

I like this theme so much, but when I use it it just doesn't feel right

sixz
Jun 2, 2004, 07:01 AM

I miss Duncan Cowan's Auto-Pilot and Co-Pilot schemes, they were very sexy.
The inclusion of a strong black encasing made the scheme look so polished.
But ProLCD is still a fine looking theme - so thanks.

sixz
Jun 2, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
* cries * :( Where's the light blue backlight version? :cry:
It's a great theme other than the fact that I hate the LCD yellowish color. :rolleyes:

'LCD yellowish color' - On a CTR monitor it is a yellowish green.
But on an LCD it's more of a sedate green/tan color.

Calibration has a lot to do with it but there is still a world of
difference between the two. I prefer the more muted green,
like Duncan's scheme color.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 2, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by BurningBright:
argh! Bluetooth rears it's ugly head yet again! I wish more people had bluetooth and used address book...

Hah, actually a very minor gripe in a very well done theme/update, but hey - this one seems to be missed in many themes, so I thought I'd mention it.
This is not included in any theme because the button is missing from ThemePark. I think the reason for that is the the bluetooth buttons is not located inside the adressbook app and therefore was overlooked. It would help if someone figured out where in the system it's located and then said it here or shot of an email to me or smeger about it.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 07:58 AM

I like this theme a lot... but, there are two things that really bug me about it... Here... I'll show you what I mean.

These selected tabs seem way too dark to me... Could you try making them a little lighter? The black text clashes with the dark background. Also, the same thing with push buttons... I would appreciate it if you tried lightening them up a bit.

Also...

The menu item selections are too narrow. It doesn't seem right to me. Could you make them a little bit wider (vertically)? I just don't like how the text feels so cramped in that tiny selection.

Other than that... It's safe to say... this is one of the best Mac OS X themes of all time! Very nicely executed and well done.

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 08:02 AM

Excellent job

I love it!!! Love it!!! Love it!!!

WOAH!!! Just fired up iTunes, the skin is gorgeous...
( Last edited by FB Eye; Jun 2, 2004 at 08:57 AM. )

BurningBright
Jun 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
This is not included in any theme because the button is missing from ThemePark. I think the reason for that is the the bluetooth buttons is not located inside the adressbook app and therefore was overlooked. It would help if someone figured out where in the system it's located and then said it here or shot of an email to me or smeger about it.
d'oh!

I had no idea!

Understandable of course. Off I go to search for a bluetooth button.
I have no credentials whatsoever to post here.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
I'm waiting on ShapeShifter to let me change the text color of selected tabs (same goes for buttons). The text should be reversed when it's selected, but unfortunately we can't control that yet.

Hmm... I might mess with that a bit, but I like it the way it is .
DigitalRamen sucks.

sixz
Jun 2, 2004, 02:06 PM

Any chance of a couple more Half Life beta pics :)

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by sixz:

Any chance of a couple more Half Life beta pics
Actually I just told Harlan to stop updating the pics, now that work will really start on the theme. Come on, I think a little surprise is good. Especially considering how much Xanthic may revamp the design.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 03:05 PM

I actually finished the half-life theme. but since I kept to myself and kept working at it and didn't give previews every week(which i will never do) i was taken off the theme.. I can tell you though that I have been using it since probably 3-4 weeks after the contest got over and it is sweet. I don't know who phill put on for it now but it seems to be taking a hell of a lot longer to make than it ever would have for me. but hey some people are ****sticks.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 03:19 PM

Mike, if you want to talk to me about it, email me. [email protected]
( Last edited by phillryu; Jun 2, 2004 at 03:36 PM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I actually finished the half-life theme. but since I kept to myself and kept working at it and didn't give previews every week(which i will never do) i was taken off the theme.. I can tell you though that I have been using it since probably 3-4 weeks after the contest got over and it is sweet. I don't know who phill put on for it now but it seems to be taking a hell of a lot longer to make than it ever would have for me. but hey some people are ****sticks.
yeah really why is wibs working on two themes instead of just ProLCD?

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 07:40 PM

A while back I was asked if I wanted to help out with Half Life. I said sure, as that was the theme I had originally wanted to make anyway. By the next day "help out" had turned into "make," and I was fine with that too. I had mostly finished ProLCD in about 3 weeks, right when I was asked to help on Half Life, so I expected to get working on it right away.

The ProLCD release was then delayed by all of the extras, but that was a good thing because it gave my testers a chance to really crack down and look for bugs. They found a lot, heh.

Anyway, this moved things on a few weeks with Half Life sitting on the backburner. I had done some work on it, but a combination of things kept me from really devoting time to it (ProLCD, Paper & Plastic, real life, and xanthic was also going to do a major redesign of HL to make it even cooler).

Which brings us to where we are now. Paper & Plastic has some unfinished and incomplete app skins, so I want to get those done (I'm really quite embarrased by them, heh). xanthic should have his redesign done soon, and then I'll get cracking on HL.

As for why I was asked to work on Half Life in the first place, I was told that Mike seemed to have completely fallen off the face of the earth. Because I was the furthest along on a contest winner, why not just take over Half Life once I finished ProLCD? I really don't have any problem with Mike and have never even spoken to him, so I hope there's no animosity there.

Well, now you guys know why I'm working on it (at least from my perspective). I wasn't trying to get tied up in any theming politics, just wanted to work on theming an excellent design. I suppose it's up to phill what happens now. And no disrespect to Mike, I'm sure he put together an awesome Half Life theme, but I'm itching to see what xanthic comes up with in his redesign. The mockup is really good, but he's talented enough to make it much, much better.

Anyway, it's about time I stopped writing and just hit the damn Submit button .
DigitalRamen sucks.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 10:21 PM

I noticed a lot of little enhancements. Very nice! I agree that the Tab text being black is kind of hard to read.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 04:20 PM

phillryu, what will happen to the themes Max and Swiz where supposed to put together?

Max now has a job and Swiz is super busy with real life. Are those two themes still being worked on?

I certainly hope so...

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 12:24 AM

I forgot to mention this here, but here's the copy and paste from my site:

---

For those of you with dialup, I've posted just the ProLCD 1.1 guiKit file. It's 3.57 MB and includes both variants with none of the extras. Download at your leisure.

For those of you without ShapeShifter, ProLCD is also now available in DLTA format. The LCD and Smooth Metal variants are available as separate downloads, just please keep in mind that these DLTAs are released as-is and are completely unsupported. ProLCD requires a lot of ShapeShifter-exclusive features, which the DLTA format may or may not handle very well. Use at your own risk.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules