Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Suggestions for spell-check software

Suggestions for spell-check software
mjames
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 09:26 PM

I currently use Word for spell-checking stories I have in MarsEdit. I don't use MarsEdit's built-in spell-check because I need something that I can paste the story into and have it automatically check and underline mispellings. The spell-checkers usually require you to run them and then you have to run through a tedious wizard as it asks you about each misspelling one-by-one.

I'm sick of Word. It's slow as hell running under Rosetta on my iMac Core Duo and I want something in universal binary that will automatically underline/mark mispellings so I can quickly scan the document for errors. Suggestions? Thanks!
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 09:50 PM

Nearly every single OS X application has spell checking - free.

Edit --> Spelling --> Check Spelling As You Type

Loads and Loads of apps have it as its somethign esily added to OS X programs - they all use the built in OS X spell checker.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 10:07 PM

Yes, but I'm talking about text where I'm not typing it. I have stories I'm opening in MarsEdit submitted by others on my staff, so the built-in spell-check doesn't do anything. Sure, if I delete and type a word, it'll work, but that doesn't solve anything. So yeah, check as you type works if you're typing it, but what do you use when you start with a bunch of text already?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 10:50 PM

Edit -> Spelling -> Spelling...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 10:53 PM

Pages2 will do this. Although it is also based on the built in spell checker when I pasted in a passage of text with mistakes in it it hi-lighted them all instantly. No hi-lighting or typing required.
David.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 11:03 PM

Also, choosing "Spelling..." from the Spelling submenu in any Cocoa app will do a normal, not-as-you-type spell check.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 11:10 PM

Pages2 is a good suggestion, I'll use that for now. It's fast and universal, unlike Word.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 11:30 PM

I think I must be on somebody's ignore list...

ewiser
Apr 2, 2006, 07:18 AM

While you do have spell check in any application in OSX. I use Grammarian X as it also does grammar and spelling. Which with you cleaning up others work would help out.
http://linguisoft.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules