Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't pay for a MacBook in full up front, so options?

Can't pay for a MacBook in full up front, so options?
EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 02:49 AM

I plan on taking the 1.83GHZ White MacBook and maxing out the RAM and HD. My mom said she would help me, by putting aside $20 every week until Christmas. Then she plans on taking what she has, and giving it to me for the MacBook, plus helping me pay for more of it. We basically have two options/questions since we can't afford the full price up front.

1- We can order online/go to the Apple store and finance it. We will put the money we have and pay it as a down payment. If we do that, will the Apple store check our credit? Im 2 years from 18, so my parents would have to co-sign. If so, then that option would probably be out if it isn't sorted out with my dad's new IBM job.

2- Put it on layaway. Im quite sure that snobby Apple doesn't do this, so is there anyplace where I can do that?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:20 AM

Why would you want to put it on layaway?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by EasyMac
1- We can order online/go to the Apple store and finance it. We will put the money we have and pay it as a down payment. If we do that, will the Apple store check our credit? Im 2 years from 18, so my parents would have to co-sign. If so, then that option would probably be out if it isn't sorted out with my dad's new IBM job.

2- Put it on layaway. Im quite sure that snobby Apple doesn't do this, so is there anyplace where I can do that?
1. If you request credit regardless of it being "apple credit" or Visa and regardless of how much cash you put up, they will check yours (and the cosigners) credit. Apple credit is extremely expensive in terms of interest rates so your probably better off using a visa.

2. "Snobby Apple" doesn't do this because they don't want to hold inventory of computers. Why should they collect money on a monthly basis for a computer that could already be sold to someone else. what happens after a year of you paying them money and they have upgraded the computer. Your not going to want the older slower computer but a newer one so the one they've held for you use worth less to them.

I hate to sound like an old man, but the best way for you to get a mac, is to save up. I'm not sure if you have a job, but saving up money is the best way.

Another option that might speed things up is to buy a refurb or used that way it will take less cash.
Michael

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 07:39 AM

Start selling stuff on ebay.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 08:04 AM

Save up the $1000, then buy the newer faster MacBook.

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 10:31 AM

Consumer credit is a cancer. If you don't have the cash, it means you can't afford it right now. Save up, sell some things, work an extra job then get your Macbook. At your age, you need to learn that cash is king. I agree that sometimes credit is necessary, but never take a loan on something that goes down in value; computers, cars, etc.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

MiniMoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hairllama
Consumer credit is a cancer. If you don't have the cash, it means you can't afford it right now. Save up, sell some things, work an extra job then get your Macbook. At your age, you need to learn that cash is king. I agree that sometimes credit is necessary, but never take a loan on something that goes down in value; computers, cars, etc.
Amen!
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules