Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Slow file transfers between 10.5 and Windows Server 2003

Slow file transfers between 10.5 and Windows Server 2003
Mike the Knife
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 04:58 PM

I've done my research, and besides adding a line to /etc/smb.conf and disabling IPV6 on both machines (none of these seemed to help me), I haven't seen any other explanations for why I'm only getting 1-2MBit/s transfer over a simple SMB file-share.

Is this a problem that everyone's having across the board? Or are my speed exceptionally slow? This seems to just be a little bit ridiculous to me, seeing as we're just talking about very basic SMB file sharing and we're in our 5th iteration of Mac OS X. Thanks!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 05:26 PM

Hmm I do SMB on 4 10.4 machines and 2 10.5 machines, getting gigabit speeds and no hang-ups, sounds like something on the windows config end perhaps... were you getting good speeds using 10.4?

Mike the Knife  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 05:37 PM

I actually wasn't really doing it on 10.4 - I just took home a little Dell Optiplex server from work to use as a personal media server - basically seeding torrents, streaming content to the XBox 360. It's a very basic setup - no domain controller or DNS or anything. The only "server role" defined is a file server.

Thanks for reminding me though, I just attempted to do the same transfer from this Mac (laptop) to another Server 2003 machine here in the office and it's totally fine. The only differences being the actual 2003 machine, and the network itself.

I should add that on my side at home... the 2003 machine is connected via ethernet to my router, and my Mac is connected via wireless @ 802.11g/54mbit/s

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 05:55 PM

Could some of your networking hardware be either slow or under heavy use?

Also, moving to Networking.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mike the Knife  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Could some of your networking hardware be either slow or under heavy use?

Also, moving to Networking.
I don't believe so. It's really only sitting there seeding torrents, but none of the torrents were even actually uploading at the time. I don't believe the hardware is slow either, but that's just instinct (because I'm able to do everything else at normal speeds).

Maybe blowing out the 2003 machine is the first step. Annoying, but will more than likely fix the issue.

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 01:15 AM

I wrote a little article at a former employer that might help:

Speeding up SMB/CIFS Connections - Provider Notes

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2008, 08:44 AM

I wish I had poor speeds with SMB shares under Leopard. I can't get them to work at all. If I can connect, Finder shows zero contents, though under Tiger I can see everything that's there-and can read and write to it. Sigh...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mike the Knife  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 10:43 PM

It seems as if this machine was once a Domain Controller with Active Directory Services, but that was then removed. The machine I tested with in my office was never a Domain Controller. Could uninstalling that server role have messed something up?

The second thing I noticed is that in Add/Remove Windows Components, there was something for File Sharing with Macintosh computers. I installed that, did nothing.

Lastly, could it just be it's over wireless? I would assume as this is 802.11g, and the 2003 computer is hard-wired via ethernet, that it would be a non-issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules