Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Vuze 4 (formerly Azureus) Totally Rocks!

Vuze 4 (formerly Azureus) Totally Rocks!
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2008, 03:04 PM

I had resisted upgrading Azureus on my G5 but finally did it yesterday, and let me tell those of you who haven't gotten it yet: Vuze version 4 absolutely rocks. The UI is beautiful and almost completely Mac-like (even though it's still Java based), it has an integrated torrent search function, a nice looking built-in AVI player, its own iTunes Store like store and a number of other cool niceities. I highly recommend it. It's just too bad the US just got even more draconian when it comes to file sharing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Nov 16, 2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I've stayed away from using version 4. Do you feel like the new interface removes power-user features or tucks them away? I keep my Azureus UI set to the classic version -- basically like the shot below.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 06:27 PM

The early transitional versions of Vuze were very annoying. My brother downloaded one and was not happy, so I resisted upgrading until absolutely necessary due to an Azureus bug. Version 4 doesn't have all that new crap that the early Vuze iterations had. It's mostly a spruced up version of Azureus, with additional features available if you want them. The only thing I couldn't figure out at first was that when double clicking a completed torrent in the library, it now tries to either open it or reveal it in the Finder instead of showing the torrent details as was the default in Azurues. To view details, just right click and choose Show Details or choose Show Details from the Torrent menu.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 02:23 AM

I'm usinge Vuze 4 and I again switched back to the classic UI after I couldn't find out where it was showing my seeding torrents.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

moep
Senior User
Nov 18, 2008, 04:20 AM

Interesting, so far I’ve heard nothing but extremely negative feedback for Vuze 4.
I’ll give it a try — does anyone know if it is possible to resume incomplete Transmission files from Azureus/Vuze?
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 18, 2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Interesting, so far I’ve heard nothing but extremely negative feedback for Vuze 4.
I’ll give it a try — does anyone know if it is possible to resume incomplete Transmission files from Azureus/Vuze?
Yes, you can resume without any problems.
I have been a long time Azureus user and just recently switched to Vuze. I'm with Big Mac, the UI is a big improvement and the performance is excellent. It still uses lots of ram but the cpu footprint seems to be much lower.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 08:59 AM

Hmm.... I tried setting it back to Vuze… and voila! My seeding torrents magically appeared. It's like a modernised version of the classic interface. Very nice.

EDIT: Aha... this was part of another update.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2008, 02:36 PM

Why the hell does this thing need an installer?

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
To install their hax and keyloggers...I'll stick with Transmission.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 05:12 PM

why do you prefer vuze 4 over transmission?

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I don't, I prefer Transmission over Vuze, as stated previously. Transmission is simple, easy to use, and the interface is uncluttered. Reminds me of uTorrent...

Cold Warrior
Nov 18, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah, I'm not big on the installer either. No app like this should be using an installer.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I don't, I prefer Transmission over Vuze, as stated previously. Transmission is simple, easy to use, and the interface is uncluttered. Reminds me of uTorrent...
the question was intended for the anyone who prefers vuze 4 over transmission, as stated previously. it was not directed towards people who prefer transmission, as you so clearly do.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 07:25 PM

Because Vuze/Azureus remains the fastest, most aggressive and extensible torrent client? I'm not exactly looking at it when it's running either, so I can live with the wonky interface - it's there to download and upload my torrents, not to look good doing so.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2008, 12:22 AM

I use Vuze because Azureus was the only reliable torrent client in my experience. I also like to see the technical details that the more simplified torrent clients don't provide.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2008, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
try seeding a few hundred torrents with transmission.
Vuze is much nicer in the most recent versions, it was trash in the past - but now its very speedy with a nice UI.
With Vuze + Web interface > Transmission
we don't have time to stop for gas

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
try seeding a few hundred torrents with transmission
A few hundred torrents?!?, you people have big tubes

Forum Links
Forum Rules