Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to get this MBP working?

How to get this MBP working?
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 09:10 AM

Hello,

The screen and video-out have failed on my MBP due to a logic board problem. However, the machine itself still works - Mail launches on startup and 'pings' when I get new mail; iTunes syncs when I plug in my iPod... I just can't see anything on the screen!

It seems silly to throw the machine away, as in a way it still works. It costs too much to repair, so that's the fate that awaits it otherwise. Might there be any way to get video out of it? I was thinking maybe VNC, if I could somehow get as far as installing a client on the MBP. Any ideas?

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 25, 2010, 09:25 AM

Apple will probably fix it free, the graphics chip is known to be defective on MBPs with the Nvidia 8600M. There are lots of threads on the forum.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 09:30 AM

That's just what I thought Chris, but I took it into a Genius Bar, the 'genius' ran a test on it using a special NVidia USB key, and announced that the problem was with the logic board, (repair cost: €560) rather than the graphics card (repair cost: free). For all I know he could just have been saying that, as I've no way of proving it one way or the other, and have to take his word.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed off, having thought that I'd get it sorted for free and now being left with no laptop. Oh, and the day I paid the last installment for the thing was the day before it died!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 10:15 AM

That sounds like nonsense (at least partially). There is no graphics card in the MBP. The GPU is soldered to the logic board. In other words under the Nvidia repair extension program what they end up doing is swapping your logic board even though the fault is "just" with the graphics processor.

How about you try another store or different "genius"? Mention what problems you've had and tell them that you've heard about the Nvidia repair extension program. Ask them to fix it under that program. Hopefully they will run the test again, confirm your GPU is bad, and take it in for a free logic board replacement.

I had the same issue with my 15" MBP a while back. As soon as I told him I had no image on both the internal and any external screen he said that it was bound to be the Nvidia issue. He said he would have to run the test software per Apple's requirements though. He did that and confirmed the issue. It was fixed within a day of them receiving the replacement LB (that took two days to ship).

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 11:51 AM

There are plenty of threads about various incompetent geniuses being overridden by a subsequent, more competent diagnosis.

Take it to a second genius, different store, or call the toll-free number.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 03:24 PM

That's great news, thanks guys. Here's hoping it all works out...

Cheers,

Will

Cold Warrior
Feb 25, 2010, 05:18 PM

Or just call Apple's toll-free line and explain your symptoms -- machine runs, but no video -- and emphasize the 8600M defects in the line. They'll ship you a prepaid box if you don't want to deal with the local store.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 11:22 AM

Hey,

Just thought I'd update for the sake of those who find this thread in future searches on the subject.

The result was a good news outcome. I'm typing this on my good-as-new MBP, with a brand new logic board, which was repaired for free. I've even been able to double my RAM back to 4GB - I had trouble with one module, and thought it was that stick, but kept it anyway. Good job I did, as it works fine with the new motherboard.

So the advice to anyone else frantically googling this subject in a panic with a broken Mac is definitely to take it for a second opinion if a 'Genius' tries to get you to part with £/€/$500. I took mine to a premium reseller for a second look (rather than an Apple Store), and it was fixed within a week.

Best of luck if you find yourself in a similar position! And many thanks to those here who persuaded me to take it in for another diagnosis.

Will

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2010, 12:14 PM

Good to hear it worked out for you in the end.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 01:54 AM

Good news!

Forum Links
Forum Rules