Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pope, Mary, and then God?

Pope, Mary, and then God?
Showolf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 05:45 AM

Why do Catholics worship the Pope as if he's GOD himself? I think it's disgusting that people kiss his ring, and treat him special as if he is the fountain of Holiness!!!!!!

Regarding the current Pope, and all prior to him --> Did any one of these figures rise from the dead in three days after a brutal crucifixion? Nope... Only Jesus Christ did that, and therfore only HE should be the highly respected & worshipped one.....

And how about the NON-Virgin Mary?

(Matthew 13:55)
Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? NKJV

* It's apalling that Catholics pray to her in place of God! She has no special powers, and was just a normal woman.....

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 06:08 AM

Why are you getting all rallied up ? no ones forcing you to worship/beleive anything you dont want to.
1. The Pope is the leader of the catholic church on earth. Hence we(yes i am Catholic) respect him. Kissing of the ring ? call it culture or tradition. no ones focing you not to eat with your hands or to shave your head, so cool it.
2. The Virgin Mary. Immaculate conception and giving birth to the son of God entitles her to a good proportion of respect.

No ones forcing you like it, beleive it or to accept it, so quit your flaming and trolling.

And i dont see why it's so applaing to you that we pray to Mary as well. We also pray to the saints, and to Jesus. If you think it's 'appaling' dont pray to them.

And at the same time, learn to respect what others choose to beleive in, especially since theyre not forcing you to.

Plus i dont know where you get your information, but we dont place Mary , the saints or the Pope higher than God or Jesus. We respect and pray to them, and thats it. Do your research before you start insulting others.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Aug 2, 2005 at 06:25 AM. )

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Showolf
Why do Catholics worship the Pope as if he's GOD himself? I think it's disgusting that people kiss his ring, and treat him special as if he is the fountain of Holiness!!!!!!

Regarding the current Pope, and all prior to him --> Did any one of these figures rise from the dead in three days after a brutal crucifixion? Nope... Only Jesus Christ did that, and therfore only HE should be the highly respected & worshipped one.....

Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? NKJV

* It's apalling that Catholics pray to her in place of God! She has no special powers, and was just a normal woman.....
It is appalling to see heretics spout lies and misinformation about true Christianity.

Catholics revere the Pope for what he is, the ruler of God's kingdom on Earth: Christendom. That is all.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 07:21 AM

the pope has nothing to do with chritianity..its a method of control, invented by people to control people..used to be quite effective (and ruthless) and is now waning to the point of irrelevance.

The first pope that renounces his castle, robes, rings, servants, etc. etc....will be the first pope i respect. Buuut I won't leave the porch light on.

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 07:35 AM

Methinks you ought to restudy the words of Jesus - you know, love your fellow man, live and let live, concepts like that.

But keep posting, it is entertaining. It's nice of you to take time out of screaming at people on the street corner to come and visit us here.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

undotwa
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
2. The Virgin Mary. Immaculate conception and giving birth to the son of God entitles her to a good proportion of respect.
Did you know that in Luke 1:28, the angel Gabriel praises Maria as 'gratia plena' or full of grace. Protestants translate this as 'most favoured one', denying Mary to be sinless. However, the only other time 'gratia plena' is used in the entire New Testament (as far as I know) is with Jesus Christ in John 1:14, when he is describing Jesus Christ's divinity. ('plenum gratiae et veritatis'). Of course Protestants usually translate this as 'full of grace and truth'.

There is significance in 'gratia plena', you can't deny it. Give Mary her due.
In vino veritas.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator
the pope has nothing to do with chritianity..its a method of control, invented by people to control people..used to be quite effective (and ruthless) and is now waning to the point of irrelevance.
IIRC, the conversion number towards Catholicism is on the rise...

The first pope that renounces his castle, robes, rings, servants, etc. etc....will be the first pope i respect. Buuut I won't leave the porch light on.
Totally in agreement with you. But heck, if the gold is there, why not use it?

Badabing, badaboum, etc.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator

Just tell me friend, if it wasn't for the Roman Catholic Church, do you think you would be even Christian today?

Martin Luther wouldn't have led the reformation if it wasn't for the Catholic Church, because if the Church didn't exist, we would still be pagans. Everything we know about Christianity has been given to us by the Roman Catholic Church, they preserved all the texts etc. and passed on the Bible and the basic belief that the Bible is the Word of God.
In vino veritas.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by undotwa
Did you know that in Luke 1:28, the angel Gabriel praises Maria as 'gratia plena' or full of grace. Protestants translate this as 'most favoured one', denying Mary to be sinless. However, the only other time 'gratia plena' is used in the entire New Testament (as far as I know) is with Jesus Christ in John 1:14, when he is describing Jesus Christ's divinity. ('plenum gratiae et veritatis'). Of course Protestants usually translate this as 'full of grace and truth'.

There is significance in 'gratia plena', you can't deny it. Give Mary her due.
Oh yeah, i almost forgot. yeah i guess that translates to the only other person(apart from Jesus) without original sin.

Cheers

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 09:31 AM

Ugh.

Sometimes I hate free speech.

Can we ban this idiot? Please?

PLEASE?!?

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 10:02 AM

We Catholics don't worship the Pope. We respect and admire him. We even disagree with him. And Mary was a virigin in the spirtual sense, that's the ticket. Virign in the sense of a pure spirit, not in the "I never rode the big ding dong" way.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:27 AM

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Ugh.

PLEASE?!?

Maury
I second that notion to dismiss this character. I have never been opposed to anyone's right to express their opinion or trolling on these boards before, but this is the first time ive wanted to say the same. I mean many of us are involved in heated debates with strong views on politics and religion, but upon inspecting this guy's contribution to the MacNN forum, he's either using an alias, or is just a religious zealot, cause so far hes only posted in threads regarding religion. He isnt here to discuss Macintoshes. A thread like this is just crossing the line.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:44 AM. )

Planet_EN
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by RIRedinPA
Methinks you ought to restudy the words of Jesus - you know, love your fellow man, live and let live, concepts like that.

But keep posting, it is entertaining. It's nice of you to take time out of screaming at people on the street corner to come and visit us here.
Now just read this ...

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, that is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; of the gods of the peoples that are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: but thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. " (Deuteronomy 13:6-9)

Well, now listen up:

Methinks you ought to restudy the words of Jesus
But keep posting, it is entertaining.
It's nice of you to take time out of screaming at people on the street corner to come and visit us here.
"A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know. "
"A pessimist is a man who looks both ways when he crosses the street. "
"Expert: a man who makes three correct guesses consecutively. "
--- Laurence J. Peter

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:01 PM

Ugh.

PLEASE?!?

Maury
I would tend to agree. 30 posts in just a few days, all in the PL. Well his first three or so were in the lounge. Pretty much all of them are narrow-mindedly Christian. (I do not think that the Christian faith is inhernrtly narrow-minded; I believe that is a function of the Christian himself)

Until we see some relevant conversation from this guy in other forums, how do we even know he has a Mac?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 12:34 PM

It's a probably a nick created just to stir up trouble in PL.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 01:46 PM

Everything we know about Christianity has been given to us by the Roman Catholic Church, they preserved all the texts etc. and passed on the Bible and the basic belief that the Bible is the Word of God.
Hogwash. There's such a thing as religious pride, and then there's this type of foolishness. Tell it to the Copts and Syrians.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 01:53 PM

No, undotwa's right. Everything we know comes from the Catholic Church, because the Church suppressed as heretical everything else and we had to discover what we could buried in the ground 2000 years later.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RIRedinPA
t's nice of you to take time out of screaming at people on the street corner to come and visit us here.
Funniest thing I've read today
Nemo me impune lacesset

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
No, undotwa's right. Everything we know comes from the Catholic Church, because the Church suppressed as heretical everything else and we had to discover what we could buried in the ground 2000 years later.
Ooooo... swat!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

undotwa
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Hogwash. There's such a thing as religious pride, and then there's this type of foolishness. Tell it to the Copts and Syrians.
I'm speaking about American/European protestants in particular not eastern countries. Do you think they would have Christianity if it wasn't for the Catholic Church? Of course not.
In vino veritas.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 06:13 PM

Ugh.

here here!

I'm tired of this copy and paste crap (not to mention its hard to read). Is there some website that these nut jobs go to just to spread their rhetoric among us just to see if they can change folks? I mean, this is why I hate evangelism.

"ohhh, lets go to www.crazychristianbiblequotes.com and evangelize on different forums. See how many people we can piss of with our crazy antics."
( Last edited by spatterson; Aug 2, 2005 at 06:20 PM. )

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 10:24 AM

Did any one of these figures rise from the dead in three days after a brutal crucifixion?

It took me 4 days, but when you convert Canadian time to religious zealot time I think it is pretty close.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 12:15 PM

I'm speaking about American/European protestants in particular not eastern countries. Do you think they would have Christianity if it wasn't for the Catholic Church? Of course not.
That's not what you said, your comment was:

Everything we know about Christianity has been given to us by the Roman Catholic Church, they preserved all the texts etc. and passed on the Bible and the basic belief that the Bible is the Word of God.
Which is patently false, as I said, ask the Copts and the Syrians. They've done fine without Rome's "assistance".

You are right on one point, however, there wouldn't have been "Protestants", if there weren't someone to "protest" against. I'm surprised it took as long as it did, to be quite honest.
- Thomas Paine

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
That's not what you said, your comment was:

Which is patently false, as I said, ask the Copts and the Syrians. They've done fine without Rome's "assistance".

You are right on one point, however, there wouldn't have been "Protestants", if there weren't someone to "protest" against. I'm surprised it took as long as it did, to be quite honest.
I t hink what he was trying to say is that:
-If The Roman Catholic religion hadnt been formed after the death of christ, Christianity(as opposed to catholisicsm) wouldnt exist the way we know it today.
-And that. Christinatiy is a derivative of Catholicsm, with some views, laws and beleifs altered to suit that particular denomination. Therefore if yiu didnt have the original beleifs,laws and views, you wouldnt be able to change them to form the other denominations.

Yes the other denominations function fine without Rome's assistance and guidance, and most of the beleifs and views are the same. But Its the Roman Catholic church from where all those beleifs originated.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 11:11 PM

*doublepost*

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:23 AM

Showolf, get over it.

The Pope is not God and no one considers the Pope to be God. The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, just like the US President is the head of the United States. People revere and respect the Pope, just like how some revere and show respect to the President.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Showolf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Showolf, get over it.

The Pope is not God and no one considers the Pope to be God. The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, just like the US President is the head of the United States. People revere and respect the Pope, just like how some revere and show respect to the President.

Ok... So he's the GRAND PEDOPHILE of the Catholic Church. It is ridiculous to revere and respect someone that is only human, and no more holy than anyone else. He does not have any special powers, and is no more in touch with God than I am.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 01:38 AM

Ok... So he's the GRAND PEDOPHILE of the Catholic Church. It is ridiculous to revere and respect someone that is only human, and no more holy than anyone else. He does not have any special powers, and is no more in touch with God than I am.

Yeah you must be really in touch with God, and really tolerant too.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 01:42 AM

mods please intervene.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 02:07 AM

Newsflash buddy. Not all humans are the same/equal. Just as Anglicans have the Arcbishop of Cantebury, the Budhists have the Dalilama, so too does the Catholic church have the Pope.

And yes, he is more so in touch with 'God' than you are. Beleive it or not, apart from being highly educated and well travelled, the Pope is elected by his equally capable peers. And i do beleive that leaders such as the Pope and Dalilama (among other spiritual leaders) who preach things such as tolerance, virtue, spirituality, etc....are more in touch with God.

Combine that with the political/economic power, and leadership of over 1/6 of humanity. I think it's safe to wager that he's a much greater man than you'll ever be, especially with your attitude and foul mouth.

Showolf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 02:08 AM

mods please intervene.
Why? I speaketh the truth whether you liketh or not. I've done nothing wrong...

Showolf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 02:17 AM

Newsflash buddy. Not all humans are the same/equal. Just as Anglicans have the Arcbishop of Cantebury, the Budhists have the Dalilama, so too does the Catholic church have the Pope.

And yes, he is more so in touch with 'God' than you are. Beleive it or not, apart from being highly educated and well travelled, the Pope is elected by his equally capable peers. And i do beleive that leaders such as the Pope and Dalilama (among other spiritual leaders) who preach things such as tolerance, virtue, spirituality, etc....are more in touch with God.

Combine that with the political/economic power, and leadership of over 1/6 of humanity. I think it's safe to wager that he's a much greater man than you'll ever be, especially with your attitude and foul mouth.
Time for a commercial!

Nice ineffectual post there! I am a greater man in my little finger than the pope will ever be. God has leadership of all of mankind, and the pope falls by the wayside on that note. If the remaining 1/6 of humanity chose to worship God instead of a human figure, the Pope would be nothing....

Showolf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 02:24 AM

Matthew 23:9

And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.

And we have a cover all BINGO!
( Last edited by Showolf; Aug 4, 2005 at 02:35 AM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 02:56 AM

And yet here you are on a computing message board using offensive posts to get attention, whereas all the pope needs to do is step out onto his balcony.

And considering that the post of the Pope does trace back to St.Peter (The apostle, who was awarded the 'Keys to the kingdom of heaven') has no bearing on the signifance of his post, as opposed to your post in the big scheme of things, which is a whiny little bitch, who resorts to 'preaching' on intenet message boards.

get a life. You dont like the pope, thats fine. have the decency to respect those who choose to respect him. No catholic worships the pope, we consider him our spiritual leader, and respect him.

So get your facts straight before you start making such absurd accusations.

What on earth are you arguing about anyway ? first you attack Catholics for 'worshiping' the pope and Mary, when in fact we dont. Then you accuse the pope of being a 'grand pedophile' when in fact hes not. I have no idea what your twisted mind is on about.

I suggest you spend some time researching what the catholicchurch is about before assuming some BS that you think is correct. Also, check out the meaning of 'worship' and 'respect'. While your at it, use the internet(which you seem to be using rather ineffectively), to research the position of Pope and it's significance to Chrisendom in general.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2005, 03:36 AM

Wow showolf, we've had some pretty ignorant people here, but you're quickly taking the cake. You obviously know nothing of the religion you rant against, and yet have no problem screaming your ignorance from the roof tops. But let me tell you what I know.

We've got two members that joined the same day, both posting from the same IP and posting nothing but religious topics. So, it's either a mighty big coincidence, you (or both of you, if you are in fact two different people) are a troll(s), which seems likely, or you are an established member trying to stir up ****, again could be likely, in which case you'll lose that account too, or you're one (possible two) incredibly ignorant person (or persons) with a superiority complex that certainly isn't taught by the faith that you so vehemently extol.

So why don't you piss off, and save me the trouble of the banning and what not, and you can go play your little games and spout your ignorance elsewhere. We have enough trouble trying to keep even a modicum of civility here or getting people to show the slightest bit of tolerance for anyone with a different view than their own. Religion has always been the biggest hot button topic here, and the last thing we need is two asshole trolls making things all the worse. **** off.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules