Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > disk copy 6.4

disk copy 6.4
egghead
Mar 11, 2002, 09:30 PM

Hi all,

can somebody tell me where I can get Disk Copy version 6.4? I need to work with large partitions, which isn't possible with the 6.3.3 that I have. I can't seem to find the 6.4 update on the Apple site.

Thanks in advance.

-- Nik

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2002, 09:44 PM

Check Your mail.

Matt

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:18 PM

When did 6.4 come out? Where can that be found?

Did I miss something?

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2002, 02:59 PM

egghead,
I sent a copy of Disk Copy 6.4 to the email address you have listed in your profile and apparently your yahoo account is no longer open.

If you want this Disk Copy version, list a valid email address.

Matt

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2002, 06:44 PM

Can I copy a cd using this version and Disk burner?

Sam Venning
Mar 14, 2002, 01:46 AM

Can Disk Copy (I cant find it anywhere) open .DMG files in MacOS 9.2.2? Perhaps .DMG files can only be opened in MacOS X.

Cheers,

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2002, 04:16 PM

Sam Venning: Yes.
xyber233: Disk Copy 6.5 can.

(131)

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2002, 07:45 PM

Where are these new versions at?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by AppleScript:

xyber233: Disk Copy 6.5 can.

(131)[/QB]
Will the two programs work together so that there is no extra unnecessary work on my part?

Sam Venning
Mar 14, 2002, 10:49 PM

Disk Copy 6.4/6.5 can open .DMG files in MacOS 9.2.2! Wow! Great! Where can I find Disk Copy 6.4/6.5? People are taking about Disk Copy 6.4/6.5 but it isn't on www.versiontracker.com - seems a bit odd to me. Is this for real?

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2002, 11:16 PM

just trying to spread the love. If anyone needs v6.4, email or PM me with diskcopy 6.4 in the header.

-ben
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2002, 12:14 AM

xyber233: Yes.
Sam Venning: I have 6.5.

(132)

Sam Venning
Mar 15, 2002, 02:49 AM

It would be prudent to mention that the Disk Copy 6.5 "floating about" at the moment is a beta version (beta11). I'd be inclined to wait until the final release.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2002, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
<STRONG>It would be prudent to mention that the Disk Copy 6.5 "floating about" at the moment is a beta version (beta11). I'd be inclined to wait until the final release.</STRONG>
I have an idea about what disk copy can do, but what exactly is it used for? I don't quite understand.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Sam Venning
Mar 16, 2002, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>

I have an idea about what disk copy can do, but what exactly is it used for? I don't quite understand.</STRONG>
Disk Copy creates and opens "disk images". A disk image is a file (document) that resides on your computer�s hard disk. When you open it (double-click) it opens up and appears like a typical disk volume (hard disk, CD-ROM etc) on the desktop.

It might be useful to create a disk image to �fine tune� CD-ROM contents before mastering or burning. You can add, remove and arrange items on a disk image before burning. It is possible to �fine tune� document layout (icon position, folders size/layout etc) before you burn the CD-ROM.

I find it is also a good idea to run Norton Utilities Disk Doctor and Speed Disk on the mounted disk image before I burn - that way I can be sure its integrity is sound (files and the directory are not damaged) so there is less chance of problems later.

Some of developers fail to do the Disk Doctor check before CD-ROM mastering and they ship CD-ROMs with corrupt or damaged files and/or directory. Media 100, for example, released a CD-ROM (Version 5, I think) that had a damaged directory - the installer didn�t work properly (you had to copy it to the hard disk to get the installer to work. Media 100 later sent a second CD-ROM with the problem fixed).

It is also a good idea to run virus software on a disk image before CD-ROM mastering/burning.

There are other uses.

From Apple�s support pages:
�Disk Copy is a utility application that will mount disk images on your desktop, make exact copies of floppy disks from a disk image, convert disk images from one format to another, create a disk image from a mounted volume or individual folder, segment a disk image into separate files, create self-mounting disk images, and create a new blank disk image.�

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
<STRONG>It would be prudent to mention that the Disk Copy 6.5 "floating about" at the moment is a beta version (beta11). I'd be inclined to wait until the final release.</STRONG>
I don't think that Disk Copy 6.5b11 as such will ever be finished. That is the Classic version of the program, and the version included with Mac OS X can do all that as well.

<TriPhaze>
Mar 17, 2002, 04:18 PM

Amazing what a search in Google will turn up!
http://asp.cis.pitt.edu/MacOS_Update...ler_Utilities/

<UncleFoobar>
Mar 18, 2002, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by &lt;TriPhaze&gt;:
<STRONG>Amazing what a search in Google will turn up!
http://asp.cis.pitt.edu/MacOS_Update...ler_Utilities/</STRONG>

Wow Thx TriPhaze: i've been searching for two hours for this damn thing! Stupid apple doesn't have it at their download site or knowledge base or anywhere.

Thx Again, U.J.

Forum Links
Forum Rules