Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disk Warrior / Mounting Problems

Disk Warrior / Mounting Problems
moggy
May 14, 2002, 08:21 PM

Hey everyone,

Okay, my G4 recently crashed after it froze unexpectedly so now it just gives me the flashing system folder ? mark icon. I tried to boot up into my OS 9.2.2 CD, but it says my Macintosh HD is not available and it asks me if I want to initialize it.
So I went searching through the forums and I found someone had the same problem and the solution was getting Disk Warrior. My question is ... I bought the program online and they're sending me a CD in the mail, but they also allowed me to download it. I need to get my computer back to normal asap so I burned the CD (all this was done on a friend's G3) and it doesn't allow me to boot up from it. The website for the software says that the CD is bootable ... so I'm just guessing it is because mine is a burned CD and is maybe missing some files. Would this be right? Is there anyway I can fix the problem faster? Does the burned CD of the Disk Warrior files need a system folder in there as well?

Thank you for your time in reading this. Thanks!

Moggy

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

AppleScript
Forum Regular
May 15, 2002, 12:29 AM

The CD of DiskWarrior requires a System Folder to start your machine. The System Folder must have a minimum Mac OS ROM version as well-since you didn't give any information more specific than "G4", I can't tell you what that is.

(152)

moggy  (op)
May 15, 2002, 10:26 PM

Well, I'm running OS 9.2.2 ... is there anyway I can put a system folder on a burned CD along with the Disk Warrior installation files? If there is a way, could you tell me exactly what I would need?

I just found out that my Disk Warrior CD that I ordered is on back order, so finding a faster solution would be greatly needed.

Thanks again for any help!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

AppleScript
Forum Regular
May 16, 2002, 12:24 AM

Put a system folder onto another CD along with the DiskWarrior package. Use the system folder from the CD that came with your machine. If you have two CD drives, you can just insert the CD you burnt into one while booting off the other.

(154)

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 02:57 PM

Things like this are why I always like to have an external, bootable HD with a minimal OS and repair tools around. It was 25pin SCSI at one time, now it's a firewire drive.

I would make an image of one of your original system disks, copy DW onto that image, and burn that image to a new CD. You'll know you have the necessary ROM for your hardware, and DW on the boot disk.

Keep the faith- I just used DW to ressurrect a blinky Qmark B&W G3 over lunch... but I have the benefit of the pressed CD from Alsoft.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules