Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > very stubborn error message about computername

very stubborn error message about computername
PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2012, 02:50 AM

Hi, in the sharing control panel my computername is set to "pb2k's mac 132". Every once and a while an error message pops up and tells me that that computername is already in use and that an auto generated name has replaced it (like pb2k's macbook 133).

This is the only computer in the network. It is connected to a router which is connected to another ethernet printer. disconnecting the ethernetcable to the router solves the issue, but removes my internet connection.

How come my computername is always in use and how do I stop it ?
Just typing a new computername won't help, it will auto generate a new error about that name too.

ps. it's irritating because the error message pops up over any application I am working with, so even while typing this I get disturbed by the message, which I will have to close before I can continue typing.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 AM

This suggests disconnects. The router sees your computer return and gives you a new address. Try rebooting the router, and perhaps swap the ethernet cable with another. See if the issue goes away.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2012, 05:03 AM

Hi, thanks for the ideas. I have tried it for a while

-other UTP cable
-restarted router
-using other ports

but the error remains.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

reader50
Administrator
Jan 31, 2012, 01:21 PM

You could check your router, see if it's set to a short DHCP lease time. Or test with a different router if you have one handy.

If the problem is on the OSX side ... try changing your network prefs. Set configuration to Manually, and give yourself a static LAN address outside the DHCP range. ie - if your DHCP range is 192.168.1.100-200, set your address to 192.168.1.25 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules